Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Shaheen went to the Dr. for routine check up. It was too physical.

He is on IR.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Gotta hand it to Pace for knowing how to play you guys.

First he completely reaches on a developmental pick in Shaheen.
Then he spends a couple seasons getting blasted by the fan base because Shaheen is a bust.
Finally when he trades Shaheen some think he's great...

Reminds me of....

justwhenothinkyoucantbeany-dumber-you-goanddosomething-this-likeand-totally-redeem-yourself-just-52893229.png

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Gotta hand it to Pace for knowing how to play you guys.

First he completely reaches on a developmental pick in Shaheen.
Then he spends a couple seasons getting blasted by the fan base because Shaheen is a bust.
Finally when he trades Shaheen some think he's great...

Reminds me of....

justwhenothinkyoucantbeany-dumber-you-goanddosomething-this-likeand-totally-redeem-yourself-just-52893229.png
Can't change the past. I think they're just talking about the present situation of getting a 'conditional 6th rd pick' for Sheehan, as being better than the expected nothing.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
I bet Shaheen makes the roster in Miami, steps onto the field, after the first play, comes down with Covid and is out for 2 weeks.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Can't change the past. I think they're just talking about the present situation of getting a 'conditional 6th rd pick' for Sheehan, as being better than the expected nothing.
I agree, but that low bar that applauds a conditional 6th is only possible due to the larger fail.

Maybe another way if looking at it if Pace couldn't do anything with a 2nd rounder can you honestly project a conditional 6th will end up helping this team?

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I agree, but that low bar that applauds a conditional 6th is only possible due to the larger fail.

Maybe another way if looking at it if Pace couldn't do anything with a 2nd rounder can you honestly project a conditional 6th will end up helping this team?
Actually Pace seems to screw up the higher draft picks, but mid and later rounds, he has found a couple keepers

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Actually Pace seems to screw up the higher draft picks, but mid and later rounds, he has found a couple keepers
Personally I think a conditional 6th only saves face from outright cutting him.

The conditional part is important. What if the Bears only get a 6th if he signs an extension? That would mean somehow Shaheen becomes worth resigning then you got to look deeper at your coaches and how they can't develop a TE as well as the Dolphins.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Personally I think a conditional 6th only saves face from outright cutting him.

The conditional part is important. What if the Bears only get a 6th if he signs an extension? That would mean somehow Shaheen becomes worth resigning then you got to look deeper at your coaches and how they can't develop a TE as well as the Dolphins.
So you're saying Pace can't win no matter what he does? :p

napo55

Liked Posts:
So you're saying Pace can't win no matter what he does? :p
Pace took a flyer on a small school project with a second round pick. At best, he gets a six round pick in return.. That's a loss in my book.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Pace took a flyer on a small school project with a second round pick. At best, he gets a six round pick in return.. That's a loss in my book.
Shaheen didn't work out, but what about getting a 6th rd for him instead of cutting him?

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Not when you're in a performance based industry and already have that many L's.
The point I'm making is, there's a conversation where you just judge the Shaheen trade by itself: good trade or bad trade.

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I bet Shaheen makes the roster in Miami, steps onto the field, after the first play, comes down with Covid and is out for 2 weeks.
As long as Dolphins dont cut Glassheen we just might get a 7th round pick.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
The point I'm making is, there's a conversation where you just judge the Shaheen trade by itself: good trade or bad trade.
On an individual transaction basis I'd agree it's not a horrible move. I don't know the exact conditions that get the Bears a 6th, so I'm unsure how firm that draft pick is, but overall it's a decent move.

When judging a GM you have to look at all the moves they have made. What I'm trying to convey is looking solely at this transaction and thinking 'nice job Pace' isn't accurate. He hasn't done a 'nice job'. He's done that 'nice transaction' behind a bunch of bad ones, so let's not cloud his overall evaluation.