Shifting to an Offensive Identify?

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I used to laugh at the dinosaur bears defense first approach and the dinosaur fans that ate that shit up

but then that season happened under Trestman where the bears were like 2nd in O and shit on D. And I learned that shit play on D makes me way more angry

mecha

Liked Posts:
starting to believe Nagy wouldn't buy into Trubisky because he didn't want him. which is arguably monumentally unprofessional, but whatever. I hope they don't ruin Fields somehow. his body of work shits all over anything Trubisky ever did, so he's a major upgrade out the gate.

Liked Posts:
starting to believe Nagy wouldn't buy into Trubisky because he didn't want him. which is arguably monumentally unprofessional, but whatever. I hope they don't ruin Fields somehow. his body of work shits all over anything Trubisky ever did, so he's a major upgrade out the gate.
Nagy wouldn’t buy into him because he sucks, plain and simple.

Nagy took the job knowing full well he had to get the most from Mitch and that if he failed it could result in him getting fired. Somehow the FO decided to give him another shot, probably bc they also realized Mitch sucked.

Now I also believe Nagy isn’t much of a QB guru either, but that’s another topic.

mecha

Liked Posts:
Nagy wouldn’t buy into him because he sucks, plain and simple.

Nagy took the job knowing full well he had to get the most from Mitch and that if he failed it could result in him getting fired. Somehow the FO decided to give him another shot, probably bc they also realized Mitch sucked.

Now I also believe Nagy isn’t much of a QB guru either, but that’s another topic.
they got 3 ex-quarterbacks on the staff now. if they can't make this work then they deserve to lose.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

there was that stretch of season in 2019 where nagy went balls to wall the had Trubs slinging it all over

and the kid crumpled. he couldnt do it

imo, the vibe with nagy changed after that and he went into a manage the kids weaknesses mode. and was ready to move on from him asap

Last edited:

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
there was that stretch of season in 2019 where nagy went balls to wall the had Trubs slinging it all over

and the kind crumpled. he couldnt do it

imo, the vibe with nagy changed after that and he went into a manage the kids weaknesses mode. and was ready to move on from him asap
I want to see Nagy with a QB of his choosing and who he is coaching up.

I think mid way through 2019 we all knew Mitch wasn’t it. 2018 was a ton of smoke and mirrors, and in 2019 when that wouldn’t work or take people by surprise is got ugly.

I tend to lean towards personnel being more of an issue than coaching to this point.

mecha

Liked Posts:

and the kind crumpled. he couldnt do it

I think the argument here has been that Nagy tried to take away Trubisky's improvisation and he was simultaneously afraid of impact from running due to the shoulder injuries. he was actually pretty good for a stretch, but they tried changing him. lack of running game didn't help either, coupled with the offensive line getting worse.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Pace is only doing what he originally claimed when he was hired . Thats why people put up with 2016 and was okay with the losing because thought we was shifting to an offense and the basically he drafted Mitch and then claimed victory by trading for Mack (who I love ) but threw a wrench into the entire plan to shift .

Now here we are at the crossroads again and I hope this time he doesn't stop adding and building an offense until it actual shows it is elite on the field not because he just believes it is on paper
No GM worth having wants to imrpve one side of the ball and intentionally be bad on the other. The Mack trade got us to 12-4. It hurt nothing.

Reactions: WCL

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
No GM worth having wants to imrpve one side of the ball and intentionally be bad on the other. The Mack trade got us to 12-4. It hurt nothing.

The Mack trade after taking Smith did exactly what you said no GM worth having would do for the contract of the QB taken the year before.
Considering the rebuild and the pick, taking a QB was the thing to do. Considering the makeup of the team with a horrid offense and a good defense either Mack or Smith was not the right thing to do. Here we are 4 years later scrambling to protect the next QB because Pace knows it was not the right thing to do.

CHIBEAR

Liked Posts:

It was never about building up one side of the ball the and Bears already had a average good defense but for decades all they have done is focused on the perceived notions of Bears football of running the ball and playing defense winning 12-10 but everyone saw back then the league was trending offensively to a more passing orientated league even the rules . He was supposed to be giving the Bears a modern day offensive makeover.

He drafted White ,Whitehair ,Shaheen, Cohen and Mitch
He signed Donte Rosario , Eddie Royal , Sitton(a gift from the packers ) , Mike Glennon, Mark Sanchez ,Dion Sims ,Markus Wheaton, Tom Compton

He then signed Daniel, Parkey, Gabriel, Burton, and Arob

declared he was finished by trading TWO 1sts a 3rd and a 6th rd pick the same offseason he spent a the 1st rd pick on Roquan

its now two seasons later since your beloved 12-4 season and what did we go into this draft with ?

an older but still average to good defense and still in the exact same position offensively ?

The Cowboys traded a 1st for Amari Cooper a month after we traded for Mack

Reactions: Myk

Cyphered

Liked Posts:
I appreciated Pagano meshing that mentality into the defense as well. Last year was swell
I watched an interview with Cutler once where he talked about that as an issue. Said he felt bad for Trubs in 2019 because he knew what that type of locker room was like. Said all the players knew they were done before they started, and as the QB/face of the franchise, you knew you were in for a long season.

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
they got 3 ex-quarterbacks on the staff now. if they can't make this work then they deserve to lose.
All eyes on Nagy.
If Nagy is bad to start off the season with Foles/Dalton..take the playing calling duties away from him and suggest firing his ass ASAP. I dont want him to touch Fields within a bad run into the season...

SUPERFAN

YUUUGE member
Liked Posts:
Nagy has a dream team draft to work with if hes the offensive guru he thinks he is
i would ride monty and fields to the playoffs
with 4 plays like tecmo jk
however mad impressed by what has transpired
im intrigued
ginna be hard to snatch a bowl until bradys gone though

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Nagy has a dream team draft to work with if hes the offensive guru he thinks he is
i would ride monty and fields to the playoffs
with 4 plays like tecmo jk
however mad impressed by what has transpired
im intrigued
ginna be hard to snatch a bowl until bradys gone though

Good point and certainly possible considering where Mitch went with this team and the improvements made. If Dalton starts it should be on a short leash to not screw up the season.

mecha

Liked Posts:
Foles needs to get dealt someplace too. I don't see this team that's been carrying 2 QBs for several years now running with Dalton/Fields/Foles. especially considering Dalton and Foles are almost the same player.

Geezer

Liked Posts:
Foles needs to get dealt someplace too. I don't see this team that's been carrying 2 QBs for several years now running with Dalton/Fields/Foles. especially considering Dalton and Foles are almost the same player.
Dealt? Why? What do you do if either Dalton or Foles, whichever is the starter gets seriously injured? As long as they're both on the team, you're OK. But what if one of them was traded or released? Do you throw your promising young rookie QB into the pit prematurely? Better to hold two vet QBs for a while at least until Fields is ready for prime-time.

ursamajor

D.J. Moore is phat
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
TBH, when Mitch came back to play, after the benching, didn’t the offense jump like 8-10 points more per game than it did under Foles?

I have a feeling that Mitch is going to get another shot somewhere, and be solid.

Wish him the best, but I’m happy as fuck the Bears landed Fields.

mecha

Liked Posts:
TBH, when Mitch came back to play, after the benching, didn’t the offense jump like 8-10 points more per game than it did under Foles?

I have a feeling that Mitch is going to get another shot somewhere, and be solid.

Wish him the best, but I’m happy as fuck the Bears landed Fields.
Trubisky's 2nd run was better than Foles. Foles coming into the Falcons game was like the only time he looked like a marked improvement over the other guy.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think the argument here has been that Nagy tried to take away Trubisky's improvisation and he was simultaneously afraid of impact from running due to the shoulder injuries. he was actually pretty good for a stretch, but they tried changing him. lack of running game didn't help either, coupled with the offensive line getting worse.

I disagree that they tried to take anything away from Trubs. I think they wanted him to add to his game - to you know, develop.

During that stretch where Trubs was floundering in 2019 and stopped running, Nagy even said, on record, he doesn't know why Trubs stopped running. He literally said, to the press, that they are trying to get him to run more. Nagy was exasperated. Only time I have ever seen him (almost) throw a player under the bus.

To me, it looked like they we loading him up with more shit, trying to push him to take a step forward and Trubs just couldn't handle it and basically froze. And Nagy stayed with it for 5 or so games in 2019 before reverting to a rookie offense at the end of 2019. Imo, it was at that point Nagy became convinced that Trubs had hit his peak and it wasnt gon be good enough. 3 games into 2020 he sat him.

Last edited:

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

History is against you there. In last three decades, the only Bear QB to go on to do anything as a starter in the NFL after leaving Chicago was Jim Harbaugh. Everyone else just fizzled out of the league. I don't see Trubisky being the one to break that streak, but he could have a decent career backing up more talented quarterbacks.

As to the OP, this defense had their window to carry the team to a trophy and it never happened. Only fair to give the offense a shot to make it happen, IMO.