Should Cubs Find a Way To Sign Bellinger Long Term.

Should they sign him to long term contract?

• Definitely Yes

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • Absolutely Not

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Castor76

Liked Posts:
Should they? Absolutely. To what degree remains to be seen. As they tend to like shorter deal, perhaps a 6Y/210M deal brings him back. But if some team goes crazy in years and money, they shouldn't go all Mike Trout to bring him back. I'd want to get him on a 30M AAV but if it take 35M, I won't complain. The Cubs have a few holes and just over 75M to address it for next year and another 50M the year after. They have what looks to be good talent on the way up.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Should they? Absolutely. To what degree remains to be seen. As they tend to like shorter deal, perhaps a 6Y/210M deal brings him back. But if some team goes crazy in years and money, they shouldn't go all Mike Trout to bring him back. I'd want to get him on a 30M AAV but if it take 35M, I won't complain. The Cubs have a few holes and just over 75M to address it for next year and another 50M the year after. They have what looks to be good talent on the way up.

It is a tough call. I do believe that the line up needs 2 hitters that can carry the team. Happ fell short of last year and the team ended up co-dependent on Cody. So bringing him back at a higher rate really doesn't solve the issues plaguing this team.

So Yes you want to bring him back but you might want to trade Happ and his 17M hit out while his stock is high. Jed has Canario ready to go next year for LF. That way Jed can look to upgrade the other area of weakness. 3B. Matt Chapman should get around 20M per which is a slight upgrade to Happ's production at a more needed position.

So looking it over:

LF Canario
CF Brown
RF Suzuki
3B Chapman
SS Swanson
2B Hoerner
1B Bellinger
C Amaya (Not sure if Jed picks up Gomes opt/he can sign a vet back up for cheap)
DH Mervis

With this line up You want another LH bat to balance the line up.

With that said I do think putting Morel on the trade market makes sense. His value is high right now. Cubs have strong system depth in the OF so it makes sense to start making some trades.

Speaking of that. Owen Caissie should be at Iowa to start 2024. So if Mervis sucks again it just opens up a job for Cassie. Triantos and Shaw should both be at Tenn for half of the season. Thus 3B would make sense as an investment. Looking forward. If one of the two looks MLB ready for 3B then Chapman becomes the next trade chip and so on.

So looking at it this way you can see Jed can still make deals going forward to restock the system while competing. The glitch would be a no trade clause. He might want to avoid that. Bellinger might be a special case as it could lower his asking price.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Who in the world is Brown and what happened to Crow – Armstrong?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Morel does not have a high trade value.

He has trade value. Teams will look at age and what have they done. and potential.

Sorry on Brown was a bit tired last night and not sure where that came from.

But on Morel he is a decent toss in. Can play a few positions and has 20-30 HR power. Teams will see that as a solid role player for cheap.

So relatively high is a better term. wRC+ 116 fWAR 1.0 due to a -12.5 Def.

So 24 yo now. Teams could look at him and think plus power. Not great on base tool. Glove is not good but has a strong arm and can be taught routes on the OF. So the room for improvement is there. And the bat plays up for a corner OF spot.

Last edited:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Oh that is why I was thinking Brown.

Ben Brown. Last 3 games. 4.2 IP, 0 hits, 4 BB and 5SO.

Hayden has gone from bad to worse. Fullmer and Alzolay are out. So with all that said why not bring up Brown and see what he can bring in 1-2 inning stints.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
So Young has played some 3B at Iowa. I'm not sure if he cracks the line up but at least it is of interest

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
It's not my money and there is no cap. So it's an emphatic yes for me. Anyone with a NLMVP on their resume and a comeback season like this deserves a 3-5 yr contract and why not with the Cubs?

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
It's not my money and there is no cap. So it's an emphatic yes for me. Anyone with a NLMVP on their resume and a comeback season like this deserves a 3-5 yr contract and why not with the Cubs?
You’re not concerned with the cubs bottom line? ?

TL1961

Liked Posts:
He has trade value. Teams will look at age and what have they done. and potential.

Sorry on Brown was a bit tired last night and not sure where that came from.

But on Morel he is a decent toss in. Can play a few positions and has 20-30 HR power. Teams will see that as a solid role player for cheap.

So relatively high is a better term. wRC+ 116 fWAR 1.0 due to a -12.5 Def.

So 24 yo now. Teams could look at him and think plus power. Not great on base tool. Glove is not good but has a strong arm and can be taught routes on the OF. So the room for improvement is there. And the bat plays up for a corner OF spot.
Now hold on!

I said Morel does not have HIGH trade value. You are arguing, then mention he would be a throw in. WTF?

If you're throwing him in, he has very little value.

Pick a lane.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
First, I would say an absolute YES to the Cubs trying to sign Bellinger.

Secondly, I don't quite understand "find a way". They have plenty of $ and payroll is not too high to add a salary in the range of what he is expected to get. They won't have to work at finding a way. (Except for prying Ricketts' wallet open.)

Sure, the Ohtani chase would factor in, if they're still interested. But I would absolutely be trying to sign Bellinger if O were the Cubs.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Now hold on!

I said Morel does not have HIGH trade value. You are arguing, then mention he would be a throw in. WTF?

If you're throwing him in, he has very little value.

Pick a lane.

Relitivity high. As in has trade value. He is established as a hitter. The D he needs time. He has the tool set to be league avg and consistent play at one position. Happ has the same short coming and settled into LF and had and gold glove which most here have laughed at the notion prior.

So high? Define high? If you are saying getting back a haul. Only a hand full of players can achieve that. Being at a high point in his trade value. Yes it is high and relatively high for him.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins

CSF77

Liked Posts:
First, I would say an absolute YES to the Cubs trying to sign Bellinger.

Secondly, I don't quite understand "find a way". They have plenty of $ and payroll is not too high to add a salary in the range of what he is expected to get. They won't have to work at finding a way. (Except for prying Ricketts' wallet open.)

Sure, the Ohtani chase would factor in, if they're still interested. But I would absolutely be trying to sign Bellinger if O were the Cubs.

I think that 30M AAV is a realistic ball park for Cody.

Cubs are on the hook for 138.287M next year.

Say Hendricks they drop.
Stroman picks up his opt for 23.667M

Puts payroll at 161.984
Resign Cody 30M AAV

191.984M
pick up Gomes, Opt 6M

Team would be:

Happ LF
PCA CF
Suzuki RF
Morel 3B
Swanson SS
Hoerner 2B
Bellinger CF
Gomes C
Canario DH

Rotation:

Steele
Stroman
Taillon
Wicks
Assad

TBH I would be good with this next year. As long as Morel puts the effort in at 3B over the off season.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I am not my friend. Let them spend all their monies.
Agreed. We're always reading posts where people are saying..."we need to this or we should've done that." Who the fuck is "we"? It's the Cubs money, the Cub's decisions...not theirs and certainly not mine. "We" are free to like or criticize but it's not our money to spend.

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Northwestern Wildcats
I think that 30M AAV is a realistic ball park for Cody.

Cubs are on the hook for 138.287M next year.

Say Hendricks they drop.
Stroman picks up his opt for 23.667M

Puts payroll at 161.984
Resign Cody 30M AAV

191.984M
pick up Gomes, Opt 6M

Team would be:

Happ LF
PCA CF
Suzuki RF
Morel 3B
Swanson SS
Hoerner 2B
Bellinger CF
Gomes C
Canario DH

Rotation:

Steele
Stroman
Taillon
Wicks
Assad

TBH I would be good with this next year. As long as Morel puts the effort in at 3B over the off season.
This team doesn't contend I don't think. Gotta actively improve somewhere. Need an upgrade in the middle of the order to pair with Bellinger and need a top 3 rotation type arm so that Taillon can be a 4 or 5 as he actually is.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
This team doesn't contend I don't think. Gotta actively improve somewhere. Need an upgrade in the middle of the order to pair with Bellinger and need a top 3 rotation type arm so that Taillon can be a 4 or 5 as he actually is.

They are contending with this team. And Assad, Wicks, Canario and PCA should get better.

Then add Ben Brown in the pen to replace Fulmer and Little having a footing in the majors this year,

I feel that Morel is the weak link. Simple as that. So the money would be there for Chapman. Thus letting Jed look into trading Morel and others for depth.

On the rotation I would not do much. Horton should be MLB ready by the ASG. Injuries always happen. So what matters is IP over the season. Taillon brings that and if he is short again then leave him off the play off roster.

This doesn't even get into Brown who could end up in the starter mix and has TOR upside this spring.

So the rotation is not a huge issue. So far the farm has produced Steele, Assad and Wicks. Not bad and 2 higher rated arms are pending.