Should the Bears consider trading Kyle Long?

AussieBear

If Long comes back healthy and performs well. Should the Bears ship him off before the trade deadline?

There seems to be an out in his contract after the 18 season. I'm not sure if thats a player or team option.

Regardless, dat interwebs mouthpiece will be due to make 26 mil from 2019-21.. seems like a lot, especially after drafting that beast Jack Daniels.

Madden

Liked Posts:
I would listen to offers at least. He's always injured, coming off multiple surgeries and is one of the older players on the team already. Would like to get something of value before he's worthless. Also Pace probably wants to add another draft pick for next year since we have no 2nd rounder.

PAPABEAR77

Liked Posts:
Would wait till next year if smith plays well that would make DT expendable as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Would wait till next year if smith plays well that would make DT expendable as well

I see no reason to trade Trevathan if he's healthy, unless his salary is somehow prohibitive. You're just creating a new need for another ILB. Kwiatkoski and Timu are depth guys. I would like to actually have the middle of the defense be a strength again for the Bears, and we have a chance to have that with Smith and Trevathan.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Before the draft people were losing their shit over cutting Sitton.

At this point you won't get the return for Long that is worthwhile. He needs to play a season healthy and even then he will be 30. The ROI does not seem to be there.

Again, not healthy and little ROI to be had because of it. He is more valuable on the team, at this point, than off it. Trevathan has 2 years remaining at a reasonable salary.

You could cut Trevathan if both ILBs take off after this year, but if he plays well this year, he is more valuable on the defense for a possible playoff run next year.

PAPABEAR77

Liked Posts:
I see no reason to trade Trevathan if he's healthy, unless his salary is somehow prohibitive. You're just creating a new need for another ILB. Kwiatkoski and Timu are depth guys. I would like to actually have the middle of the defense be a strength again for the Bears, and we have a chance to have that with Smith and Trevathan.

DT has had his injury issues to and he isn’t happy here once fox left so I am not creating another need if our depth does their job. Long isn’t a problem unless the injury bug get him too so why create a problem on offense. However I can see both being on there way out if the situation presents itself

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
DT has had his injury issues to and he isn’t happy here once fox left so I am not creating another need if our depth does their job. Long isn’t a problem unless the injury bug get him too so why create a problem on offense. However I can see both being on there way out if the situation presents itself

Do you have a link for this?

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

He's not happy here after Fox left...ummmmmmm huh? We haven't even started training camp without Fox so how would he not be happy without him? The only way i'd cut or trade DT is if we signed N.Bowmann for two years until either Iggy is ready to take over or Kwiat gets better and is ready to take over or that other ILB spot is taken care of another way. Not even sure i'd do it anyway because a healthy DT is still a really good player and having him and Smith would definitely solidify ILB until DT's contract is up in two years.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The Bears are allowed to have good players at more than one position

The Bears are also allowed to have depth

The Bears do not need to go 1 step forward and 2 steps back all the time, although I think that makes some people more comfortable.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
LoL

No one is giving up as little as a tuna fish sandwich for a freaking Guard that has had forty-seven surgeries in the last two years with a ten million dollar a year salary. Who also spends more time on Twitch than at Halas Hall. Peeps want to blast Kevin White or Mike Glennon, but giving that huge contract to Kyle Long while he was laid out in a hospital bed is the most Dingbat move Ryan Pace has made in his time here.

You don't pay cheerleaders that much money.

@Ky1eLong

@Novak

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
DT has had his injury issues to and he isn’t happy here once fox left

What are you basing this on?

so I am not creating another need if our depth does their job.

The job of depth is to be competent in a starter's absence. Trevathan is a much better player than Kwiat and Timu and one of the key parts of the defense. There's no reason to trade him away. As another poster pointed our regarding Long, older players (especially who have had injuries) aren't going to garner much in the trade, and they have more value on the team. Same applies to Trevathan.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Kyle Long is 30 years old and has a ton of injuries we would be lucky to get a 5th round pick. It's better to get him around.

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
Healthiest he has been in years. No.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
LoL

No one is giving up as little as a tuna fish sandwich for a freaking Guard that has had forty-seven surgeries in the last two years with a ten million dollar a year salary. Who also spends more time on Twitch than at Halas Hall. Peeps want to blast Kevin White or Mike Glennon, but giving that huge contract to Kyle Long while he was laid out in a hospital bed is the most Dingbat move Ryan Pace has made in his time here.

You don't pay cheerleaders that much money.

@Ky1eLong

@Novak

I would have agreed with you a few months ago but with Jon Gruden making personal decisions i think the Bears could probably get at least a 2nd for him from the Raiders.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would have agreed with you a few months ago but with Jon Gruden making personal decisions i think the Bears could probably get at least a 2nd for him from the Raiders.

:lmao:

Jon Gruden is not getting Nine Figures from the Raiders to blow picks on Howie Long's biggest disappointment since losing his contract with Radio Shack.

The worst part is this was a viable plan a few years back when he was getting Pro Bowl Noms just based on his last name, but all you dorkchops were too busy pretending that he was something special when really he is just another spoiled rich white boy that has clocked in more hours playing BIOSHOCK than playing the game this team gave him literally millions of dollars to not suck so badly at.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
:lmao:

Jon Gruden is not getting Nine Figures from the Raiders to blow picks on Howie Long's biggest disappointment since losing his contract with Radio Shack.

The worst part is this was a viable plan a few years back when he was getting Pro Bowl Noms just based on his last name, but all you dorkchops were too busy pretending that he was something special when really he is just another spoiled rich white boy that has clocked in more hours playing BIOSHOCK than playing the game this team gave him literally millions of dollars to not suck so badly at.

what the fuck does that have to do with anything

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
what the fuck does that have to do with anything

It further illustrates his bloated sense of entitlement.

However, I do regret using the term "boy". We are far more gender fluid in 2018. Next time I will use "spoiled rich white person".

Thanks.