SI Names Bears' Tanner Gentry as best UDFA signing

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Apparently other media outlets agree...

http://chi.247sports.com/Bolt/Tanner-Gentry-named-Bears-best-UDFA-signing-by-multiple-outlets-52687891

"There is opportunity, then, for Gentry, a 6' 1", 200-pounder with sticky hands. He produced 1,300-plus yards and 14 TDs last season."

"Gentry is a 6'1", 208-pound target with a 38" vertical, per NFL Draft Scout. His vertical would have finished fourth among wide receivers at the NFL combine."

"He was not invited to the NFL Scouting Combine but he did record a 4.46 40-yard dash and has the kind of speed NFL offense's crave. Gentry is already among the team's fastest wideouts and he could be a deep threat in his rookie season for starting quarterback Mike Glennon."

"Gentry will have his work cut out for him in training camp and the preseason, but many believe he has all the tools to develop into a contributor in the NFL."

With WR being up in the air (pun intended), let's see what happens. Maybe he figured his best chance was in CHI.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
Well, it's certainly the group that needs the most help! Would be great if we could find another Meredith but they are rare.

Sent from my SM-A320Y using Tapatalk

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Hopefully this kid turns into our new Training Camp Hero. With some of the FA signings, he is going to have a hard time staying on the team.

Let see him in TC and Preseason, it would be great if Gentry turns into another Meredith.

The biggest obstacle is that even at the highest level of drafted kids, it usually take a full season or two for a WR to show what he will be. UDFA do not usually get a season or two, they usually get TC and a couple of Preseason games to show what they have. He will need to find a way to have an impact on ST, but his size and speed does give him that chance.

Hope he makes it.

On a side note about UDFA, my wife works at a DIII private school and the Vikings signed a Safety from their team. Not a big chance he makes the team, but the school is very excited that he is getting an opportunity.

Crazy thing is all 32 teams came out to either watch him practice or watch a game, these NFL scouts do their homework.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Is he the new Braverman?

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I predict he will mean the end, kaputso, fini, by by, see ya later, for Bellamy.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Is he the new Braverman?

I will settle for the new sanzenbacher lol. These are the receivers that make it. This is the guy that turns into an Edelman or Amandola.

The only thing I am concerned about is that 38 inch vertical, the quarterback that makes his receivers catch the ball 38" in the air, outstretched with open ribs to get hammered is now in the booth at Fox.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I will settle for the new sanzenbacher lol. These are the receivers that make it. This is the guy that turns into an Edelman or Amandola.

The only thing I am concerned about is that 38 inch vertical, the quarterback that makes his receivers catch the ball 38" in the air, outstretched with open ribs to get hammered is now in the booth at Fox.

Same exact thing that was said about Braverman last year lol. I'm mainly just talking about the hype that Gentry is going to receive. If you were on the board last year during TC, you would have thought Braverman was the next Jerry Rice.

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I really like this signing, even though I don't know much about him. Obviously it brings Dennis to mind. Pretty good size and speed and really good numbers.

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
QUICK! Everyone compare him to a white receiver!

Hammer

Liked Posts:
White receiver, what are we, Patriots (Edelman) or Packers (Nelson) now :smug2:

IMO, he seems like a Braverman/Monk 2.0, hyped by the fans out of need and desperation.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Big, white, undrafted and hyped. 2017 Bourbonnais Hero for sure.

Hopefully we don't hear all these fluff stories from training camp about him getting open on every play. Probably would mean that our secondary sucks more than anything.