Silva Says He'll be in Opening Day Rotation

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Confident Silva says he

MESA, Ariz. — The Cubs’ front office, their manager, many of their players, the media and the fans might see a battle for two openings at the back end of the team’s rotation this spring. But that’s not the way Carlos Silva sees it.

‘‘For them, [two spots are] open,’’ said Silva, the highest-paid pitcher in the mix. ‘‘And for whoever is competing, [two spots are] open. But for me, only one is open because I am one of the starters. So whatever they think, they think. Not me.’’

Manager Mike Quade reiterated Tuesday that it is, indeed, a battle for two spots behind Ryan Dempster, Matt Garza and Carlos Zambrano and that Silva must earn one of the jobs this spring. But Quade also said guys with recent big-league track records, such as Silva and Randy Wells, will get extra consideration.

‘‘[Silva’s] experience speaks for itself, and his start last year was fantastic,’’ Quade said of Silva’s 9-2 record and 2.96 ERA through 16 starts. ‘‘There’s a few guarantees in this game, and I’m not sure that the back end of the rotation has got anybody guaranteed anything.’’

Beyond Silva and Wells, sophomore Andrew Cashner is a wild card in the mix, if only because the Cubs would like to see their top pitching prospect make the transition into a big-league starter. That might mean Silva’s right, after all, about that one-spot thing.

‘‘You factor in taking a look at an exciting young kid like Cashner, and a decision to look at him seriously in the rotation affects everybody,’’ Quade said, ‘‘including those guys we know what to expect out of.’’

Veteran non-roster pitchers Braden Looper and Todd Wellemeyer also figure to be in the mix, with youngsters Casey Coleman and James Russell — the only potential lefty in the rotation — also getting shots.

Silva said he doesn’t mind being told he has to earn his spot again, but he thinks his big first half last season should be worth a starting job entering camp.

‘‘Should be, should be,’’ said Silva, who will make $11.5 million this season in the final year of his contract. ‘‘Whatever happened after the first half with my heart and then with my elbow, I don’t think it’s a reason to take me out of the rotation. But they’re the boss. If I have to win my spot again, I’ll do it. I don’t have a problem with that.’’

After his strong beginning, Silva made only five more starts last season, going 1-4 with a 14.21 ERA, in part because of an irregular heartbeat, elbow soreness and general ineffectiveness.

He's confident. That's a good thing. I'm starting to have a funny feeling that Cash Money won't be in the rotation. I really really really really really hope that he is in AAA then. Whatcha'll think?

AddisonStation

YamaHama it's fright nite
Donator
Liked Posts:
I also like his confidence but he's going to have to earn it and I don't think he will.

Silva is a good player to have as an insurance policy but I don't really care for the idea of him being in the rotation unless injuries happen.

And CO i agree with you, if Cashner doesn't make the rotation id like to see him start in Des Moines.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I also like his confidence but he's going to have to earn it and I don't think he will.

Silva is a good player to have as an insurance policy but I don't really care for the idea of him being in the rotation unless injuries happen.

And CO i agree with you, if Cashner doesn't make the rotation id like to see him start in Des Moines.

From everything I have read, he and Randy Wells are the favorites for the last two rotation spots. I'm kind of okay with this, for two reasons. A) He will be happy. We don't want a pissed off pitcher going out there to pitch, that's bad for both sides. B) He did have a really nice first half last year. Maybe we can get another and ship him out in June.

AddisonStation

Donator
Liked Posts:
From everything I have read, he and Randy Wells are the favorites for the last two rotation spots. I'm kind of okay with this, for two reasons. A) He will be happy. We don't want a pissed off pitcher going out there to pitch, that's bad for both sides. B) He did have a really nice first half last year. Maybe we can get another and ship him out in June.

If he pitches well in ST and earns it I'm OK with it but his leash would be extremely short if I were in charge.

Northside_slugger

Liked Posts:
I like his confidence. I'd prefer to read this then a guy give me "i can't worry about it, we'll see what happens" or "i hope it all works out".... NO, you own your own destiny, you go out there and kick some ass and you'll be pitching. It's that simple.

Competition has never hurt anyone.

AddisonStation

Donator
Liked Posts:
I like his confidence. I'd prefer to read this then a guy give me "i can't worry about it, we'll see what happens" or "i hope it all works out".... NO, you own your own destiny, you go out there and kick some ass and you'll be pitching. It's that simple.

Competition has never hurt anyone.

Ya, competition is great in sports especially in pitching IMO.

But you only own your own destiny in sports if you are good enough to do so.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I need Cashner...

I still think Cashner makes the rotation. It's between everyone else for the other spot IMO.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Cubs want Cash and Russell to make the rotation... But that's not gona happen because Russell is OK but not too great. Nothing special. Also if Cash did go to the pen, the Cubs will have one of the strongest pens on baseball (Marmol, Wood, Marshall, Cash, Grabow (was pretty good when acquired, hope he gets back to that)).

But I think and hope Cashner will be the 4th starter.

tribeTILLiDIE

Liked Posts:
Milton Bradley got arrested in January to prove that the Mariners got the worst end of the trade, but Mr. Silva is having none of that and is trying to prove otherwise by placing himself in the rotation.

wadedog21

Bleedin' Cubbie Blue
Liked Posts:
i love the confidence.....i think he ends up in the bullpen in long relief.

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Good for Silva. I hope he comes out and has a great spring and makes the rotation.

As long as the five best starters are in the rotation I don't care who it is. I like Silva quite a bit and I think he can be a very good pitcher for this team and he showed that last year.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think he will be in rotaion also. Hard to bench guy making 11.5 mil. I dont think he will stay there long. Honest i hope its Cashner, Wells who wins last 2 spots in SP

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I think he will be in rotaion also. Hard to bench guy making 11.5 mil. I dont think he will stay there long. Honest i hope its Cashner, Wells who wins last 2 spots in SP

I'm thinking Cashner and Wells are too.

But yes, you can put a guy making 11.5 Million in the pen. We are only paying 8 Million IIRC (Seattle is still paying some), which is less than another member of the pen, Marmol, will be making in a few years.

Put Silva in the pen unless he becomes an absolute beast this Spring. If he does, put him and Cashner in there. Unless Cashner does horrible.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Ignorance at it's finest. :obama:

Not really. So you think Cash won't get a spot? I said that i think he will and I am not sure who gets the other one. How is that ignorant, besides the fact that you hate me?

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not really. So you think Cash won't get a spot? I said that i think he will and I am not sure who gets the other one. How is that ignorant, besides the fact that you hate me?

You have been, currently are, and probably always will be all over Cashner's cock. You are acting that Cashner has done something to earn this role or has proven himself. He hasn't. Silva and Wells have. So I don't see how the guys with the proven track record are battling for the same spot. You are totally oblivious to everything the Cubs say. I mean, seriously? Did you even read the article? I quoted it, you didn't even have to click a link.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
You have been, currently are, and probably always will be all over Cashner's cock. You are acting that Cashner has done something to earn this role or has proven himself. He hasn't. Silva and Wells have. So I don't see how the guys with the proven track record are battling for the same spot. You are totally oblivious to everything the Cubs say. I mean, seriously? Did you even read the article? I quoted it, you didn't even have to click a link.

So... you say Cashner has no shot because Silva and Wells are more proven? Silva is no sure thing either. Wells was far from great last year too.

Never said Cashner has earned it already, I am predicting that he will. I'm guessing just like everybody else.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

hypocrit. coming from the biggest homer and cubs apologist.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
hypocrit. coming from the biggest homer and cubs apologist.

This isn't just Dews opinion either.

Maybe I like the young players too much, but I am just in full support of giving the good young player time over an old guy who is also unproven (Silva is FAR from a sure thing).