Since The Cubs Are Trying To Acquire An ACE, Would You...???

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
trade Javier Baez and Albert Almora for Jose Fernandez of the Marlins?

This ought to be interesting. :popcorn:

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
oh god

Sent from my Rotary Phone using Tapatalk

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I really need to sticky a thread for shit like this.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Without a doubt

Not sure if that would be enough to pry him away, but I bet it would be close.

Just was thinking that the Cubs are going to get a high draft pick this year, and next year too, so the thought of landing Tanaka and then trading away your top prospects for an ACE might be something to ponder.

That would leave the Cubs system with position players Bryant, Alcantara, and Soler who would be the closest to major league ready.

I guess they could trade off Shark to supplement the farm a little, but having Tanaka and Fernandez at the top would be enticing.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
I really need to sticky a thread for shit like this.

It isn't as if Theo hasn't dealt with something like this in the past. Didn't he acquire Beckett (who was one of the best pitchers in the game at the time) Mike Lowell, and Mota for then prospects, but now notables Hanley Ramirez and Anibal Sanchez?

We are also talking about one guy pitching every 5th day versus players that should be playing every day. I believe there is plenty of value for both parties.

What's the deal Dews? It's just general discussion.

Flacco4Prez

Liked Posts:
Solves our pitching problem but then creates a positional problem

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Solves our pitching problem but then creates a positional problem

There you go. That is all I am saying. It is going to be a troublesome regardless, and there was talk a year ago by fans on here who wanted Giancarlo Stanton at all costs to the farm, and he has had setbacks due to injury.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
wow. Uhm that choice sucks.

Right now: no because the main problem this team has is a lack of run production and Baez is really close.

If the Cubs had a more rounded O and there was a need for a arm like that then yes.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
trade Javier Baez and Albert Almora for Jose Fernandez of the Marlins?

This ought to be interesting. :popcorn:

Well, I don't think either team would make the trade at this point. Fernandez was fantastic last year but there are a lot of players who are very good year 1 and then struggle. So, personally, I would want to see more from him first. Additionally, his "out pitch" is his curve ball and curve balls often put lots of stress on arms.

As for Baez and Almora, I really want to see what Baez does in AAA specifically with regard to his K%. If he doesn't get that below 25% it could be a big problem in the majors. Also, I want to see if he stays at SS. If he fixes his issues with K's and stays at SS there's no way I'm trading him. There are basically never SS who hit the way he does. You're talking about 2 out of the past 10-15 years in A-Rod and Tulow and he might be a better hitter than Tulow. Almora needs to show he is certain to stay in CF. If he gets pushed to LF then he doesn't have nearly the same value.

Overall, I'd say no at this point. Pitchers are inherently risky. I'd prefer to have your hitters in place and then worry about finding the pitching. Additionally, you never know what later round pitchers will bubble up over the next 2 years. Seattle's Walker for example was a 2nd round pick as were plenty of other currently high prospects. Plus, if you're building in stages, which is to say 65 wins -> 75 wins -> 85 wins -> WS contender, I don't believe you need a #1 to be an 85 win team. If you can find two #2 starters, and some decent #3/4 pitchers to fill out your rotation your team will be on equal footing to a team with a true ace but crummy #4/5 starters. That wont help you in the playoffs where you go down to 3 man rotations but like I said you build in stages.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Well, I don't think either team would make the trade at this point. Fernandez was fantastic last year but there are a lot of players who are very good year 1 and then struggle. So, personally, I would want to see more from him first. Additionally, his "out pitch" is his curve ball and curve balls often put lots of stress on arms.

As for Baez and Almora, I really want to see what Baez does in AAA specifically with regard to his K%. If he doesn't get that below 25% it could be a big problem in the majors. Also, I want to see if he stays at SS. If he fixes his issues with K's and stays at SS there's no way I'm trading him. There are basically never SS who hit the way he does. You're talking about 2 out of the past 10-15 years in A-Rod and Tulow and he might be a better hitter than Tulow. Almora needs to show he is certain to stay in CF. If he gets pushed to LF then he doesn't have nearly the same value.

Overall, I'd say no at this point. Pitchers are inherently risky. I'd prefer to have your hitters in place and then worry about finding the pitching. Additionally, you never know what later round pitchers will bubble up over the next 2 years. Seattle's Walker for example was a 2nd round pick as were plenty of other currently high prospects. Plus, if you're building in stages, which is to say 65 wins -> 75 wins -> 85 wins -> WS contender, I don't believe you need a #1 to be an 85 win team. If you can find two #2 starters, and some decent #3/4 pitchers to fill out your rotation your team will be on equal footing to a team with a true ace but crummy #4/5 starters. That wont help you in the playoffs where you go down to 3 man rotations but like I said you build in stages.

Well, that's your viewpoint as a Cubs fan. Turn it around.

If you are a Marlin GM, are you willing to trade off your potential ACE who could have a sophomoric slump for a teams top prospects?

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Well, that's your viewpoint as a Cubs fan. Turn it around.

If you are a Marlin GM, are you willing to trade off your potential ACE who could have a sophomoric slump for a teams top prospects?

Like I said I don't think either team makes the deal at this point. Fernandez was too good at 20 years old. He was better than Kershaw at 20 to give perspective. I'd just prefer to have bigger sample size before making that massive investment. You could argue by that time he'll cost more but would he really? I mean David Price for Baez/Almora/change is fairly reasonable starting point. Plus, in 2-3 years the Marlins will be more under the gun because he's almost assured to be a super-2 which would put him in a similar area as Price is currently. They got there 3-4 years of value out of him and if they still are bad they can part him off for other pieces.

http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/jose-fernandez-ready-for-year-two/

This also outlines how well Fernandez pitched last year but there is also a cautionary tale there with numerous guys who never were able to recapture that first season due to injuries/whatever. Like I said, if he goes out the next 2 years and is equally good then I have less issue with parting with loads of high value prospects though as I mentioned curve ball pitchers scare me and his is particularly wicked.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
To get Fernandez it would start at Bryant, if he's not in there is NO CHANCE the Marlins trade him

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
To get Fernandez it would start at Bryant, if he's not in there is NO CHANCE the Marlins trade him
Well ignoring the reality that you can't trade Bryant for another six months, I would still think Baez is the guy the Marlins would want. They drafted a third baseman in Moran last year. Also Baez and Almora would provide Florida kids to market for them. Also Baez tends to rate higher since he plays SS. I would guess that it starts with Baez in all honesty. Either way there is no way either team pulls the trigger on a deal like this. Too much risk for it to blow up in the face of either team.

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
If we could add to it and get Stanton as well, that'd be pretty sweet, too. Even though I want to see what Baez can/can't do for us.

They would be solid additions though. Could you imagine watching Stanton hit bombs in Wrigley?

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Well ignoring the reality that you can't trade Bryant for another six months, I would still think Baez is the guy the Marlins would want. They drafted a third baseman in Moran last year. Also Baez and Almora would provide Florida kids to market for them. Also Baez tends to rate higher since he plays SS. I would guess that it starts with Baez in all honesty. Either way there is no way either team pulls the trigger on a deal like this. Too much risk for it to blow up in the face of either team.

I agree on the risk mostly for the fish.

Bryant can be traded as a ptbnl right?

They take probably both in reality. Flexibility w 1b/of

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
If we could add to it and get Stanton as well, that'd be pretty sweet, too. Even though I want to see what Baez can/can't do for us.

They would be solid additions though. Could you imagine watching Stanton hit bombs in Wrigley?

Stanton and Fernandez? For what, the farm?

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:

I know this is probably a million to one shot of happening, but this was more about playing GM for a moment, and how much you value your prospects versus trying to pry loose someone elses.

I don't know what the Marlins have in pitching throughout the minors as far as surplus or quality arms, but they generally have done fairly well in getting talent throughout the years because of high draft picks and grooming them to be pretty good ball players.

Of course it stands to blow up in somebody's face in a trade like this, but generally blockbuster trades tend to be like that, and it is not as if a move like this would set either team back light years away from competing. They both get high draft picks year in and year out because of their poor performances at the major league level, so retooling what might blow up in your face IF it blows up, would be lessened to a degree.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I actually think if they land Tanaka they will hold onto samardzija and they will be the no.1 and 2 for the next couple seasons. . IF not then they will look to move samardzija for multiple pitchers ( stockpile prospects to move for top starters in future trade ) ..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437 using Tapatalk

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Nope. Neither team would even entertain the offer.