Since The Cubs Are Trying To Acquire An ACE, Would You...???

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
I actually think if they land Tanaka they will hold onto samardzija and they will be the no.1 and 2 for the next couple seasons. . IF not then they will look to move samardzija for multiple pitchers ( stockpile prospects to move for top starters in future trade ) ..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437 using Tapatalk

That is exactly why the Cubs said they won't be outbid for Tanaka. Now, whether he wants to join the Cubs is a completely different animal.

I think Theo knows if they lose out on Tanaka, he probably adds 2-3 years on top of everything as far as competing for a playoff spot because this year was a complete waste as far as adding for the future. Basically, the youth got a little closer to the majors and that's about it.

Tanaka also means that much because if you start trading off players like Shark with no Tanaka in place, then you are asking for an incredible amount of things to happen with young kids, i.e. they all have to perform to expectations, and having Wood and Jackson at the top of the rotation would be a complete disaster. Maybe 120 losses.

And don't think that the David Price's of the world are going to be available when the time comes, not that Tampa will, but we have seen all too many times that pitchers like Hamels, King Felix, Cain, Verlander, Kershaw, Weaver, Wainright and others are all signing extensions because teams value their pitching that much to not let them hit free agency. Look for Price to be traded and extended.

Strasburg and Scherzer are probably next in line to be extended, so finding anybody resembling an ACE is going to be hard enough, let alone bucking the Yankees, Red Sox and whomever in an all out bidding war.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree on the risk mostly for the fish.

Bryant can be traded as a ptbnl right?

They take probably both in reality. Flexibility w 1b/of

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

I agree the risk on the performance side is for the fish, but Fernadez's arm blowing up is a risk for the Cubs in this deal. He could be a horse and be healthy for a decade or he could go down with an injury that robs him off his stuff next year. This isn't a lock for either side. Hence why neither would make the deal.

Flacco4Prez

Liked Posts:
I agree on the risk mostly for the fish.

Bryant can be traded as a ptbnl right?

They take probably both in reality. Flexibility w 1b/of

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk
Yeah but some other team would have to really trust the Cubs that they would allow them to get Bryant down the line

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
If the Marlins would accept the trade, I would trade Javier Baez and Albert Almora for either Jose Fernandez or Giancarlo Stanton.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
If the Marlins would accept the trade, I would trade Javier Baez and Albert Almora for either Jose Fernandez or Giancarlo Stanton.

The problemis they wouldn't, though I think it's a good start for Stanton

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
No i wouldnt. When team is this bad need every top spec. Instead of trading specs for proven players i would just SIGN proven players. Only cost money. Does not cost specs+ money for player team getting

Flacco4Prez

Liked Posts:
For the Cubs to land Stanton, and Fernandez it would have to include either Castro or Rizzo, Baez, Almora, and probably one of the SP prospects, maybe more

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Baez bat speed is elite. You don't trade that away.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
cubs are not trading away any of their top 5 prospects this yr or next. those are the kids their counting on to be their Stanton and Fernandez type players or better....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437 using Tapatalk

TL1961

Liked Posts:
For the Cubs to land Stanton, and Fernandez it would have to include either Castro or Rizzo, Baez, Almora, and probably one of the SP prospects, maybe more

If that's the case, I wouldn't even consider it.

They would take all the eggs they have waited for, and throw them all in one basket. One arm injury,m and they have nothing. That is why spending $ on Tanaka makes sense, No prospects.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
oh god. cubs fans making pretend trades. this outta be fun.

Sent from my Rotary Phone using Tapatalk

patg006

Liked Posts:
oh god. cubs fans making pretend trades. this outta be fun.

Just remember.

Cubs players are valuable and other teams' players are not. 2 average lottery tickets are worth the best players in the game. And it NEVER takes 2 teams to trade. Just turn on 'auto accept.'

Wait, this isn't 2k?

Ho boy......

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I did read an interesting thing from Jason Parks. Lets me find it and I will post it. Basically, The big 4 are considered are all star material players talent wise. Dont get ahead of yourselves they have to make it first, but his interesting take was a baseball executive believes if Baez makes it to the majors and succeeds you are looking at the next superstar player. He has hall of fame potential. Yet again, dont get your motors running. They are saying his skill set is that elite.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
100 Wheels (on the road): Can you provide an appetizer on Kris Bryant before the main course is served on Wednesday?

Jason Parks: The playable power is obviously legit; could play to plus-plus, which means he could hit 35 bombs. But I think the swing and miss will be a bigger issue than some are suggesting, and that could limit some of the power. At the end of the day, I think he's a first-division right fielder with several all-star level seasons on the resume. I expect a lot of power but not a high average.

Tim (Wrigleyville): Will Kyle Hendricks be a GUY for the Cubs in the future?

Jason Parks: Not really. He will contribute, which is a developmental win. But he's not a top ten talent in their system and his long term future is more of a back-end type at best.

Kevin (Florida): How good can Javier Baez be in his prime and do you think he gets called up at some point this year?

Jason Parks: One front office source told me that thinks Baez has hall of fame potential. No don't go crazy with one projection, but if you really believe in the bat--meaning you think he will reach his offensive projections--35+ home runs is possible, all from a left-side of the diamond home. This is an extreme opinion, but not all that crazy when it comes to potential. Javier Baez could have a very special bat; the hand/eye, the bat speed, the raw strength are elite. If he puts it all together, he could be one of the best players in the game. If he stays healthy and consistent once he achieves that level, the hyperbole and hype of the present won't seem so crazy.

steve g (CA): Will Arismendy Alcantara crack your top 101? Is the power he showed last year real or more a product of the league he played in?

Jason Parks: Alcantara was ranked 83 on the BP 101 ( I think). I don't think he's going to be a big power bat at the major league level, but you can't sleep on his pop. Getting to watch his BP behind the cage really turned me on to his raw pop; quick path to the ball but excellent extension through it, which created loud contact. I was impressed with the player. It's been said before, but he really does remind me (and others) of Jose Reyes-light.

Scott (Lincolnshire): Cubs minor league system or Twins?

Jason Parks: Twins are the best system in baseball for me, with the Cubs coming in right behind them.

Mark (Nashville): If you did not assess position scarcity, base-running or defense, and were ranking prospect purely on their bat, would Dan Vogelbach be a top 10?

Jason Parks: Above Soler. Vogelbach can fucking hit.

Paul (Chicago): You're an admitted "ceiling" #slut, so does that mean Baez is the #2 prospect in the game right now?

Jason Parks: He's number four on my list, behind Buxton, Bogaerts, and Taveras.

Wrigleyvillenat (Chicago): What do you project for C.J. Edwards? Can he overcome "frame" and become top-of-rotation starter?

Jason Parks: I don't see a top-of-the-rotation starter, and that would be true even if he weighed more than 160 pounds. I like the arm; I really do. I know the kid. I've been around him since he signed, and I've seen him pitch countless times. I get it. I do. Its very loose and easy, and the fastball has serious pop to it. I like the CB, but its a better minor league pitch than it projects to be at the major league level, and I think his CH will be his best weapon to play off the fastball. He pitches with length and can maintain the stuff pretty well, but I don't see the type of physicality necessary for a heavy major league workload. That's the rub. He could be a very good late-innings reliever with a deep arsenal, and perhaps even a mid-rotation arm that just makes it work despite the physical concerns. But the top of the rotation talk is a dream that is based more on the stats than the scouting.

CJ (Land of Goldstein): A duder on ESPN recently put Eloy Jimenez at 10 on a Cubs prospect list. 10! So does that mean people have got to see him more since he signed? What do you know about him?

Jason Parks: I know a lot about him; I've seen him in workouts and game action. I wouldn't rank him in the Cubs top ten right now, though. That ranking has to be based on his signing bonus and pre-J2 hype, which is mostly the result of his power potential. He could/should get to that level, but he doesn't belong on that list now.

Wrigleyvillenat (Chicago): Have you seen Eloy Jimenez? Has anybody seen Eloy Jimenez? He is a tantalizing 17-year-old propsect at 6'4" 200 lbs. What is the word on EJ?

Jason Parks: yes; I've seen him. Big power; right field profile; strong arm; I think he sells out for power, so I question the hit tool and it could limit his playable power. I'm hesitant about the bat right now.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I did read an interesting thing from Jason Parks. Lets me find it and I will post it. Basically, The big 4 are considered are all star material players talent wise. Dont get ahead of yourselves they have to make it first, but his interesting take was a baseball executive believes if Baez makes it to the majors and succeeds you are looking at the next superstar player. He has hall of fame potential. Yet again, dont get your motors running. They are saying his skill set is that elite.

So was patterson,pie,bobby hill. castro was the next hanley ramirez etc etc.

Sent from my Rotary Phone using Tapatalk

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:

The bat speed on Baez is what draws all the rave reviews. He could be very special. Or he could struggle to make enough contact to be worth anything. Either way I would suspect the season is mostly a countdown to Baez time.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I also liked his take on Volgy. I have preached this for a long time. Volgelbach has the most complete approach at the plate in the Cubs system. This is why I want the Cubs to sit on him because he just keeps gaining value by the day.