Since The Cubs Are Trying To Acquire An ACE, Would You...???

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
So was patterson,pie,bobby hill. castro was the next hanley ramirez etc etc.

Sent from my Rotary Phone using Tapatalk
Patterson was the only one that was a top 10 prospect in the game like Baez is this year.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
So was patterson,pie,bobby hill. castro was the next hanley ramirez etc etc.

None of them had the skill set to hit like Baez. Not even close. Ramirez would be the only one but Baez bat speed is once in a generation. Im not going to argue if he makes it because Im not Nostradamus but dont demean the skill set he has. All 30 teams would kill for a prospect like Baez.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I also liked his take on Volgy. I have preached this for a long time. Volgelbach has the most complete approach at the plate in the Cubs system. This is why I want the Cubs to sit on him because he just keeps gaining value by the day.
Parks is pretty down on his ability to even play 1B it seems though. Called him a DH profile on the score interview today as well.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Parks is pretty down on his ability to even play 1B it seems though. Called him a DH profile on the score interview today as well.

Ive read so many different reports. I have read he is strictly a DH. I have read he is not this horrible first baseman. I have read he could be at best an average first baseman and I have read he would be real poor. Volgy is the type of guy who has to prove himself everyday because of his build. Fielder got more leeway because he was a better prospect and had a famous name.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ive read so many different reports. I have read he is strictly a DH. I have read he is not this horrible first baseman. I have read he could be at best an average first baseman and I have read he would be real poor. Volgy is the type of guy who has to prove himself everyday because of his build. Fielder got more leeway because he was a better prospect and had a famous name.
Don't disagree, but since we were talking about Jason Parks opinion I figured that was relevant. I have given up any hope of him being able to do more than stand at 1B on defense which means most likely trade is the way he helps the Cubs major league roster. But I suppose I could be right about the DH in the NL too...

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Volgy will be the player added in a deal to help sweeten the pot for a wanted player..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437 using Tapatalk

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Patterson was the only one that was a top 10 prospect in the game like Baez is this year.

the point is our own city thinks top specs are the next super star,

Flacco4Prez

Liked Posts:

But it's baseball writers, scouts, and front offices across the league praising these kids. Not just Cubs fans

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
But it's baseball writers, scouts, and front offices across the league praising these kids. Not just Cubs fans

they have been praising specs in the mlb for years. some make it some dont. cubs fans talk as if they are 100 certain they will pan out.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:

And the point remains that while many prospects were overhyped, Baez is a rare breed. Doesn't guarantee success, but comparing him to Bobby Hill, Felix Pie, etc. is silly since they were never in the same tier of prospect.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I have to laugh at some of these posters comments. It would suck if they didnt have highly touted prospects and it would be typical cubs.. but..
they do have highly touted prospects but were not suppose to be excited about it because their overhyped..

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have to laugh at some of these posters comments. It would suck if they didnt have highly touted prospects and it would be typical cubs.. but..
they do have highly touted prospects but were not suppose to be excited about it because their overhyped..

lol. its beyond excited. its stating "hall of fame" caliber before taking a major league at bat. most of you have the cubs having the best lineup in baseball. remember, castro is the next hanley ramirez.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
lol. its beyond excited. its stating "hall of fame" caliber before taking a major league at bat. most of you have the cubs having the best lineup in baseball. remember, castro is the next hanley ramirez.

since Ive been on here I havent seen any posters call anyone HOF caliber or compared Castro to Ramirez.
though I do recall the *baseball people " compare Castro to Ramirez minus the power when he first came up and figured the power would come with age and experience. .

what was written on here earlier frim silence was an opinion from a baseball writer I believe it was.

ive seen all star potential for baez and Bryant but no HOF mentioned. .
in fact I dont recall if it was mlbnetwork or CTL..the question was asked of the cubs top 9 prospects if any were future HOFers or AS and they agreed a couple were all star potential. . no HOF nods..

so its not just fans on here who expect good things from some of these prospects, baseball people do too..

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Whomever compared Castro to Hanley clearly believed way too much in potential. Castro hit a total of 6 HRs in 845 PAs in the minors. For that matter, Castro stole a grand total of 38 bases in the minors while Hanley stole 55 in his first 700 PAs in the majors. Frankly, their minor league numbers tell a tale of two very different players. Honestly, Castro has more in common with Yunel Escobar in the minors than Hanely. Castro is basically Escobar with average speed.

So, when we talk about prospects you have to consider the tools. If you have a prospect who has already shown plus plus power and at least average contact he's generally considered more valuable than a guy with similar make up only speed instead of power. In Baez's case, he's currently still at SS which basically never sees plus plus power. It remains to be seen if Baez stays there. And I've been very vocal about my concerns about Baez K rate and how he's a big bust risk until/if that doesn't get fixed. In Castor's case he showed average speed with plus contact but next to no power. That makes for an average to above average at best SS. Castro was never going to be Hanley at his peak or even Tulow for that matter because he flat out doesn't have the power. Until that changes, if ever, he isn't on the same level as a Baez type prospect.

For that matter, we should also talk about the difference between Baez, Bryant Almora and Soler. Almora isn't even close to the same peak as Baez because like Castro he doesn't have the power. Soler is rated lower because he plays a corner outfield position as well as the fact there are concerns about his ability to adjust to pitching throughout the game. Bryant and Baez are probably quite close in terms of hitting ability IMO. However, Baez is shakey to stay at SS and worst case goes to 3B or 2B. Bryant is shakey at 3B and may end up at a corner OF slot. That gives Baez significantly more value at this point.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
What I posted came from a well respected scout. This wasnt a Cubs fan opinion. Did no one see my whole Jason Park Q&A's?