Skille & Hawks agree to 1-year deal

suomistewart

Liked Posts:
Gotta think its league minimum or close to it since it's only a one year deal

IceHogsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The details on this are going to be very interesting.

Jack's biggest issue playing with the parent club was his original

contract which, to my understanding, he demanded a larger then

usual NHL contract if called up. I believe 1.2 or 1.3 M if I remember

correctly. Obviously, with the cap issue if Jack were to even be a

consideration he would have to drop that amount significantly. I find

it interesting that he was not on the open market because I think

someone would have picked him up but nonetheless I will be happy

that he made a consideration to stay with the team if that is the case.

I still do not see him as a part of the parent club though. Never been a

big Skille supporter (same goes for Crawford) but I do see him as a

Jason Krog type who ends up being a career AHL'r with a few moments

in the sun when called up. Then again, this whole cap issue may actually

be a benefit to Jack assuming he lowers his contract significantly.

whalerhawk

Liked Posts:
Re: Makarov signs 2 year Deal

I think Niemi for $2 million is a pipe dream. Turco too. We could probably get Theodore for $1.5, maybe, but coming off a Stanley Cup win and seeing what Halak just got, I doubt Niemi settles for $2 million. I'm guessing the arbitration award will come in at about $2.9 million and there is no way the Hawks can afford that.

After seeing Bollig at prospects camp this year, I would prefer Skille for that role (can't believe I am saying that!) assuming he just signed for something in the neighborhood of $600-700K. Skille has hands of stone, but he can skate, and on the fourth line, really all you need is a guy willing to skate, forecheck, and be a pest. Skille can do that, I believe.

nana

Liked Posts:
adamjahns Update: Jack Skille's one-year deal with the #Blackhawks is worth $600,000, I'm told. No official announcement from the team yet.

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="nana"]adamjahns Update: Jack Skille's one-year deal with the #Blackhawks is worth $600,000, I'm told. No official announcement from the team yet.[/quote]

At that amount I'd say he makes the roster if he's not involved in a trade.

IMuser

Liked Posts:
[quote name="nana"]adamjahns Update: Jack Skille's one-year deal with the #Blackhawks is worth $600,000, I'm told. No official announcement from the team yet.[/quote]

I'd hope Skille gets a decent opportunity. A lot of people in the organization believe in him.

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
I don't get why some people here have such strong (mostly negative) opinions of the guy, who never seemed to get a regular chance here. His first year, Savard was the coach, and we've all seen players succeed/improve when he left - or they were traded. Last 2 years, I think his 1.2mil cap hit hurt his chances of getting called up if needed more than anything. If he get a regular chance to play 82gms, he may produce 11-15 goals. He has good speed up/down the wing, has 59goals in 180 AHL gms...600K is cap friendly and now he has a chance to make he team with all the openings.

All his "opportunities" with the big club -

09-10 - 6gms - 1g-1a-2pts - 7:39 TOI 9 shots

08-09 - 8gms - 1g-0a-1pt - 9:26 TOI 14 shots

07-08 - 16gms - 3g-2a-5pts - 11:58 TOI 23 shots

He just turned 23 years old - still very young. There were ALOT of people that bagged on Brouwer and his "poor skating"...even during his first year when he "only" scored 10 goals, people still ranked on Troy - saying he was only a good AHL player and not in the NHL.

I think a full 82gms, and a regular shift on the 3rd/4th line...his game may adjust to the NHL better than some think.

IceHogsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Here in the A Skille is a puck hog (no pun). I am terrible at finding and looking

at stats but someone should look them up for the IceHogs and see what his

goal vs. shot percentage is. The guy has some speed but has no shot whatsoever.

Center chest on a goalie every time.

Sorry, not a believer.

Gemini13

Liked Posts:
Skille got a 2 way deal, $600k NHL/$105k AHL.

(Taken from the 300 Level)

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:

59 goals in 180 AHL gms....

5 goals 3 assists in 30 NHL gms in limited time..(projects to 82gms - 14g - 8a - 22pts)

And he just turned 23 years old. Alot of players don't come into the league until then. take a look at Tomas Holmstrom...came into the league at 23, and his first 6 years -

47gms - 6g

57gms - 5g

82gms - 13g

72gms - 13g

73gms - 16g

69gms - 8g

How many Hawks fans would have just "written him off" because of his poor skating, etc. He went on to top 20g in 5 of the next 7 years (the 2 he didnt, he played 67,53gms respectively)

I dont understand why people don't want to give the kid a shot before writing him off. There are some players whose games adjust differently - sometimes even better - to higher levels. The fact that Skille averaged about 20 goals a year in 60gms each season in the AHL...if he can do that ...15-20 goals a year in the NHL, thats not too bad. It doesnt happen overnight.

I agree on Skille. He at least deserves a legitimate shot, where he gets consistent time, to see what he can do. As of now in all his "shots" on the club it's never been Legit IMO.

He's now got a one year contract to prove himself.

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
Well, Skille's "horrible" shooting percentages in the AHL-

09-10 - .095 (243 shots in 63gms...3.85gm)

08-09 - .094 (214 shots in 58gms...3.69gm)

07-08 - .093 (172 shots in 59gms...3.43gm)

He'd average around 300 shots a game, if he played a full 82 with those numbers the last 2 years - only 4 players in the NHL last year, topped 300 shots. And thier shooting percentages?

Ovechkin - 368 shots - .136

Parise - 347 shots - .110

Carter - 319 shots - .103

Zetteberg - 309 shots - .074

Maybe he was told to shoot the puck as much as he can? Take a look at other big name NHLers, their shot totals and shooting percentages.....Lecavalier, Sharp, Okposo, Doan, Pomniville.....

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:

No kidding, RK...he just turned 23 for crying outloud...and all people say is he's no good...

[quote name="IceHogsFan"]Here in the A Skille is a puck hog (no pun). I am terrible at finding and looking

at stats but someone should look them up for the IceHogs and see what his

goal vs. shot percentage is. The guy has some speed but has no shot whatsoever.

Center chest on a goalie every time.

Sorry, not a believer.[/quote]

Here in the NHL Versteeg was a puck hog. Your point?

roshinaya

fnord
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't get the negativity with regards to Skille. He hasn't gotten a fair shake on the big show yet and I want all the Hawk players to succeed, so I don't understand what is the point to constantly dog on certain players. As long as they wear the Indianhead I will root for them.

And if the 600k figure is right, then I see no reason not to have him in the plans for next season. There have been countless of players who have had average success in the A and taken a little longer to find their game but turned out to be decent players that have had solid NHL careers. I think the last couple of years where 18-19 year old kids have been able to jump in straight from juniors have spoiled us fans and made it easier to call any prospect in the early twenties a bust.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'll give him 25 games before I completely throw in the towel on him... I just don't see him as being any kind of force in the NHL. I mean he's not even GREAT in the AHL, more like above average and the minimal time he's got in the NHL haven't been anything to write home about.

I have seen him play around 12 times live between Hogs/Wolves games and obviously seen him play in the NHL on TV.

But for $600,000, why not? Can't really hurt anything.

[quote name="Stu Grimson"]I'll give him 25 games before I completely throw in the towel on him... I just don't see him as being any kind of force in the NHL. I mean he's not even GREAT in the AHL, more like above average and the minimal time he's got in the NHL haven't been anything to write home about.

I have seen him play around 12 times live between Hogs/Wolves games and obviously seen him play in the NHL on TV.

But for $600,000, why not? Can't really hurt anything.[/quote]

Versteeg wasn't exactly great in the AHL. Hard to be great on a shitty AHL team that has NO goal scorers. Unlike Skille, Versteeg got a legit shot on the Big Club.

Like last years Hogs.