Skille & Hawks agree to 1-year deal

[quote name="pmxc12873"]Skille's numbers are better than Dowell's or Bickell's..yet they get some "benefit of the doubt" to fill a role?

Bickell - 24yrs old - AHL- 228gms - 51g - 58a - 109pts/ NHL 23gms - 5g - 1a - 6pts

Dowell - 25yrs old - AHL- 211gms - 22g - 43a - 65pts/ NHL 23gms - 3g - 2a - 5pts

Skille - 23yrs old - AHL - 189gms - 63g - 73a - 136pts/NHL 30gms - 5g - 3a - 8pts

Bickell was a 2nd round/41st overall...and he gets some sort of "free pass" based on drafted 34 picks later...Hawks passed on Krecji, Booth, Franzen, Dubinsky, Edler..hell, Brouwer was taken in the same draft rounds later...[/quote]

And Brouwer rocketed in the A where he started EXTREMELY slow in the NHL. You could also say Brouwer also benefits from the players he plays with in the NHL. Toew, Kane, Sharp, ect ect. Skille should have that same opportunity.

[quote name="whalerhawk"]Interesting. I don't see them putting him there. There are five definites for the top two lines, but there is one opening that could be filled by a number of guys.

Kane/Toews/Brouwer

Hossa/Sharp/???

??? = Stalberg, Skille, Bickell, Kopecky, Makarov, Beach.

I have to think the front runner for that spot right now is Kopecky, given Hossa's man-love for the guy, but if Skille gets his shot in that spot, that's the only way we will truly see what his potential is. And it would have to be for a minimum of 20 games, otherwise its not a fair assessment.[/quote]

I think you leave Toews-Hossa together and Sharp-Kane together. You have Brouwer, Kopecky, Makarov, Skille and Stalberg vie for that spot. Beach will be too expensive.

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
His cap hit was too high at times to play when needed as well, why do you think they would send him down after games - then call him right back on game days...to save money.

Didnt people say the same exact thing about Brouwer...he (and Bickell) were both drafted in 2004...Brouwer got his first shot in 2008, Bickell - not yet....

IceHogsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You can call it dogging him or negative or whatever term suites you best.

I am just giving my objective advice after watching him three seasons in

Rockford. Something that most of you do not have the luxury of seeing.

I believe that this new contract does not guarantee him a starting spot

and I would bet money he still starts in Rockford and is there for the occassional

callup just like previous seasons but without as much cap hit. Cap issue or

not he is still in Rockford come October.

Maybe I shall be proved wrong AND he shines when given the opportunity in the show.

I hope those that think so are correct because first and foremost I care about the

Hawks winning.

Come now is that really a Luxury?

:dance:

According to the 300 level he now makes 105k per year if he's playing in Rockford. Instead of the 65, or original 55 he was making there.

Larmer83

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
As far as line combo guessing, well Q will change that multiple times in the course of the season.

The important question could be the replacement of Ladd on Bolland's side. Doesn't have to be left wing. The beauty part of Ladd's game is virtually none of his points came on the PP. Under Q he was a true even strengh shutdown winger.

[quote name="Larmer83"]As far as line combo guessing, well Q will change that multiple times in the course of the season.

The important question could be the replacement of Ladd on Bolland's side. Doesn't have to be left wing. The beauty part of Ladd's game is virtually none of his points came on the PP. Under Q he was a true even strengh shutdown winger.[/quote]

Bickell maybe?

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
Zetteberg - 309 shots - .074

Take a look at other big name NHLers, their shot totals and shooting percentages.....Lecavalier, Sharp, Okposo, Doan, Pomniville.....

[quote name="IceHogsFan"]

Damn you! :D

I wish there was a way to look at the entire team for the IceHogs with number shots taken. I can not find that stat. If you did you would see how dominating Jack is in number of shots taken versus the rest of the team.[/quote]

Of course he's one of the better forwards on the Ice Hogs. Had you had a couple of Jack Skille last year you might have been able to score against Texas and not have been swept.

I'm just trying to play devils Advocate here. It's hard to compare what a player does from one level to another. Again look at Brouwer. We can say last year was a break out year in the NHL but at the AHL Level he was almost a God. Give Jack 20 games if he makes the squad and see what he does. His Cap Hit is wonderful.

IceHogsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="R K"]

Of course he's one of the better forwards on the Ice Hogs. Had you had a couple of Jack Skille last year you might have been able to score against Texas and not have been swept.

I'm just trying to play devils Advocate here. It's hard to compare what a player does from one level to another. Again look at Brouwer. We can say last year was a break out year in the NHL but at the AHL Level he was almost a God. Give Jack 20 games if he makes the squad and see what he does. His Cap Hit is wonderful.[/quote]

I will give you the benefit of the doubt when you say watch what they do when called up. I saw that happen with both Steeg and Brouwer. I am hopeful that the same happens with Bick. Jack, well, lets hope you are correct. Just not feelin' it there.

Plus, he drank from the Cup in the locker room! Bwwwaaaa hahahaha.

Just sayin'

Gemini13

Liked Posts:
[quote name="R K"]

It all depends on the draft year. I hope Bowman isn't like you guys who have given up on a 23yr old kid thats never been given a legit shot. :dance:

Now the cards are right for him to prove himself. Either he does or all those arm chair fans can run around screaming "I told you so". Good luck Jack. He was with the team the entire playoff run so should know what it takes.[/quote]

You draft Kopitar and most likely Kane isn't on this team. People never fully analyze what drafting player A instead of player B does to the entire roster outside of swapping player A with player B.

[quote name="Blackwater13"]

You draft Kopitar and most likely Kane isn't on this team. People never fully analyze what drafting player A instead of player B does to entire roster outside of swapping player A with player B.[/quote]

While a good point I think we sucked so bad he might not have made a difference in where we were slotted or won the Lottery! LOL! :lol:

Gemini13

Liked Posts:
[quote name="R K"]

While a good point I think we sucked so bad he might not have made a difference in where we were slotted or won the Lottery! LOL! :lol:[/quote]

LOL maybe so but my point stands in that if you take Kopitar and not Skille, Kopitar plays for the Hawks in O6 and we probably would've been better than the bottom 5. Not to mention how it would've affected the rest of the roster and what other transactions they would've made. My basic point is that you just can't just remove Skille and insert Kopitar into the Hawks organization and have everything else remain the same. It doesn't work like that an a lot of people don't take that into consideration when saying "we should've picked him instead of him".

EbonyRaptor

Liked Posts:

You draft Kopitar and most likely Kane isn't on this team. People never fully analyze what drafting player A instead of player B does to entire roster outside of swapping player A with player B.[/quote]

That's true. Actually more likely we wouldn't have Toews if we had taken Kopitar as the big center. So, just playing out the what if - then in 2006, maybe we would have taken Kessel instead of Toews. And then, who knows, maybe we wouldn't have been in position to get the first pick in 2007 (Kane). All hypothetical or course, but had things worked out that way - we would have Kopitar, Kessel and ?(Turris)? right now instead of Skille, Toews and Kane. I prefer it the way it worked out.

Gemini13

Liked Posts:
[quote name="ebonyraptor"]

That's true. Actually more likely we wouldn't have Toews if we had taken Kopitar as the big center. So, just playing out the what if - then in 2006, maybe we would have taken Kessel instead of Toews. And then, who knows, maybe we wouldn't have been in position to get the first pick in 2007 (Kane). All hypothetical or course, but had things worked out that way - we would have Kopitar, Kessel and ?(Turris)? right now instead of Skille, Toews and Kane. I prefer it the way it worked out.[/quote]

Exactly.

LOL maybe so but my point stands in that if you take Kopitar and not Skille, Kopitar plays for the Hawks in O6 and we probably would've been better than the bottom 5. Not to mention how it would've affected the rest of the roster and what other transactions they would've made. My basic point is that you just can't just remove Skille and insert Kopitar into the Hawks organization and have everything else remain the same. It doesn't work like that an a lot of people don't take that into consideration when saying "we should've picked him instead of him".[/quote]

I definitely agree with you. And in most years past #3 it's hit or miss anyway. Do you have a chance at having more talent in the player, sure. But it completely depends on the depth of the draft year and players coming in. Hind sight is most amazing when it comes to the draft. In fact, it could make some extra smart.

Look at Columbus as an example. How many first rounders do they have winning them Cups. Exactly.

Maiden

Liked Posts:
[quote name="R K"]

Versteeg wasn't exactly great in the AHL. Hard to be great on a shitty AHL team that has NO goal scorers. Unlike Skille, Versteeg got a legit shot on the Big Club.

Like last years Hogs.[/quote]

If you comparing the skill Versteeg showed to what Skille showed you are dillusional.