Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Jesse Rogers ‏@ESPNChiCubs 11m Long convo w Theo and media about lots of aspects about organization. Will blog on it. Hint: don't expect big FA signings.

What excuse will the apologists have this offseason?

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Jesse Rogers ‏@ESPNChiCubs 11m Long convo w Theo and media about lots of aspects about organization. Will blog on it. Hint: don't expect big FA signings.

What excuse will the apologists have this offseason?

Anyone who has looked at the FA's this off-season would understand why. I've said since the beginning of THIS season that this offseason will not be the one to spend big $$$ on. Who's the best player on the market? Choo? The worst defensive CF in baseball who can't hit lefties? Can't throw big money around just to pacify a needy fanbase. That's how we got saddled w/ shit contracts a few years ago.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Anyone who has looked at the FA's this off-season would understand why. I've said since the beginning of THIS season that this offseason will not be the one to spend big $$$ on. Who's the best player on the market? Choo? The worst defensive CF in baseball who can't hit lefties? Can't throw big money around just to pacify a needy fanbase. That's how we got saddled w/ shit contracts a few years ago.

Well this comes off the heels of Todd Hollandsworthless saying that the Cubs have the resources, they'll spend them, but he doesn't know when or who.

:dealwithit:

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Wait - so spending just for the sake of spending is a bad idea?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

I don't care if you have a differing opinion on spending. That's an old battle. But, don't knock Choo. Dude has been a beast. His OBP, WAR, and OPS+ has been very good. I mean for a righty heavy lineup of the future and a team desperate for OBP. Choo looks like a good fit. Its just what will his price range be. Cubs are not spending because of Ricketts. Nothing to do with some of the FA on the market. Oh and we shouldn't talk about anyone hitting lefties until our cornerstone first baseman can hit them above the Mendoza line. Not knocking Rizzo just stating the truth.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Wait - so spending just for the sake of spending is a bad idea?
lol, who knew, right?

And "building" a AAA team and charging MLB prices for it is a good idea, right?
From a business perspective, it's damn near brilliant. I don't love it, but I don't go to Wrigley to watch games...so I'm not feeding the beast.

I don't care if you have a differing opinion on spending. That's an old battle. But, don't knock Choo. Dude has been a beast. His OBP, WAR, and OPS+ has been very good. I mean for a righty heavy lineup of the future and a team desperate for OBP. Choo looks like a good fit. Its just what will his price range be. Cubs are not spending because of Ricketts. Nothing to do with some of the FA on the market. Oh and we shouldn't talk about anyone hitting lefties until our cornerstone first baseman can hit them above the Mendoza line. Not knocking Rizzo just stating the truth.

Everything I said about Choo was correct. He can't hit Lefties. His CF defense is the worst in baseball. :shrug:

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
lol, who knew, right?

From a business perspective, it's damn near brilliant. I don't love it, but I don't go to Wrigley to watch games...so I'm not feeding the beast.

Everything I said about Choo was correct. He can't hit Lefties. His CF defense is the worst in baseball. :shrug:

I guess you consider a 21% empty stadium a good business idea, so be it.

That number should righteously go up after another team is built to be sold. Oh well. On to 2015.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I guess you consider a 21% empty stadium a good business idea, so be it.
Can you send me a link to those #s? not saying you're wrong, just haven't seen them officially.

That number should righteously go up after another team is built to be sold. Oh well. On to 2015.
nothing but a guess. :shrug:

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
lol, who knew, right?

Cause you completely ignored the rest of him. I can state bad things about anybody. Miguel Cabrera cant field or run. Also, is his defense really going to be any worst then what we have seen from Dejesus, Sweeney, and LAke? I know his bat and OBP will be a fuck ton better.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Also, what do the Cubs do about a 4th hitter? If we walk into 2014 with Nate or Navarro as our clean up hitter and you are not pissed. Then this fucking message board is going insane!:pray:

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Good find. That being said, 9th in capacity % isn't turrible. :shrug:
Cause you completely ignored the rest of him. I can state bad things about anybody. Miguel Cabrera cant field or run. Also, is his defense really going to be any worst then what we have seen from Dejesus, Sweeney, and LAke? I know his bat and OBP will be a fuck ton better.
That's fair. His OBP is great. It's even serviceable against lefties...but he really can't hit them. His HR total is inflated this year partially b/c Cincy is a cracker-jack stadium. It plays small, but that's not discounting him as a player. This season is a bit of an aberration in terms of BB/K ratio for him...he's blowing away his previous career high for walks taken. He's not a speedster really...18 steals in 29 chances. Meh. I'll see if I can find some info on him as a defender.
Also, what do the Cubs do about a 4th hitter? If we walk into 2014 with Nate or Navarro as our clean up hitter and you are not pissed. Then this fucking message board is going insane!:pray:

Who do you suggest? Someone realistic, not "WE SHOULDA JUST SIGNED PRINCE!!!!!"

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Good find. That being said, 9th in capacity % isn't turrible. :shrug:

That's fair. His OBP is great. It's even serviceable against lefties...but he really can't hit them. His HR total is inflated this year partially b/c Cincy is a cracker-jack stadium. It plays small, but that's not discounting him as a player. This season is a bit of an aberration in terms of BB/K ratio for him...he's blowing away his previous career high for walks taken. He's not a speedster really...18 steals in 29 chances. Meh. I'll see if I can find some info on him as a defender.

Who do you suggest? Someone realistic, not "WE SHOULDA JUST SIGNED PRINCE!!!!!"

Nelson Cruz. I am perfectly content with signing him to a 1 year deal and could flip or keep depending. Also, I am pretty sure the Cubs park is placing second as a hitting park right now. I am not positive, but I think I read that. Oh and I am not saying the Cubs should sign Choo. that completely depends on what kind of contract teams are willing to give him but his worst OBP would look like a demi God on this team. The Cubs have power and power on the way. They need walks. Bryant is the only top prospect who could walk at a really good rate. Soler will probably be pretty good but not great and Baez and Almora haven't shown to be the most patient.

Reactions: X

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Nelson Cruz. I am perfectly content with signing him to a 1 year deal and could flip or keep depending. Also, I am pretty sure the Cubs park is placing second as a hitting park right now. I am not positive, but I think I read that. Oh and I am not saying the Cubs should sign Choo. that completely depends on what kind of contract teams are willing to give him but his worst OBP would look like a demi God on this team. The Cubs have power and power on the way. They need walks. Bryant is the only top prospect who could walk at a really good rate. Soler will probably be pretty good but not great and Baez and Almora haven't shown to be the most patient.

I'd be just fine with Cruz...but I think he'll be expensive, too. If he's willing to sign a 1-yr deal, I don't care how much $$$ it'd be, though.