My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
So why is the point then?

The point being, Tommy Nickels should try to sell all of his seats and lower ticket prices for a lower quality product.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
And "building" a AAA team and charging MLB prices for it is a good idea, right?

Well if we build a AAA team, then we will develop a large rivalry with the Iowa Cubs, Indianapolis Indians, Nashville Sounds, and Memphis Redbirds.

justaChifan

Liked Posts:
The point being, Tommy Nickels should try to sell all of his seats and lower ticket prices for a lower quality product.

For all the fiscally responsible junior GM's on this board, this is heaven. (and or Ricketts, Epstein, suck-ups and family members)
Honest question.
I know it was basically impossible for it to happen , but do you think this 'build' would take as long if Cuban were ALLOWED to buy the team?

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
For all the fiscally responsible junior GM's on this board, this is heaven. (and or Ricketts, Epstein, suck-ups and family members)
Honest question.
I know it was basically impossible for it to happen , but do you think this 'build' would take as long if Cuban were ALLOWED to buy the team?

I know Mark Cuban wouldn't throw away seasons at the MLB level to get a better pick.

I would see Mark spending enough (120M or less) to be competitive and investing in international free agents etc.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
What I would do:

Sign Cruz for LF. He would cost in the 8-12 mil range on a 1 year to build up his value.

CF I would retain Sweeney. He hits both LH and RH pitching and plays fearless D.

RF retain Schierholtz.

Lake becomes either a 4th OF or goes into competition for 3B. 2B I don't believe they will give up Barney's D.

So line up:

1. Castro SS (He hits here the best)
2. Barney 2B (I believe he will see more AB's and be used to move the runner over IE small ball)
3. Rizzo 1B
4. Cruz LF
5. Schierholtz RF
6. Lake 3B (I'd roll with it/unless Olt just blows up S/T)
7. Sweeney CF little pop lower in the order
8. Castillo C.

Over all decent for the buck. Not great not bad.

Now with Baez close it opens up 3B for promotion. It also makes RF and LF open up after the year for Soler and Bryant. I'd go forward with Sweeney in CF for now.

Pitching wise I would trade Shark and either give it to Baker (If he can sustain this production/got to expect his velo. will improve), or go after Tanka from Japan and make a aggressive bid. Shark is too unpredictable to be considered a legit top of the rotation. Add to it he is at that point that they need to decide what to do and he has not proven to be worth a big investment.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
If we're going to talk about it we should probably address the actual article.

"I don't think we're going to get where we need to be through free agency for the short term," he(Theo) said Tuesday.
"Given the needs that we have, and where we are, and the likely price tags on the market I don't think we're going to have the ability to add multiple impact pieces in free agency," Epstein said.
"That would be nice if we could find the right guy and the right contract," Epstein said of obtaining a leadoff man. "It may be in the cards for us, but we have to be prepared for the fact it may not."

Talking about back loading contracts.
"It is a very viable and sometimes attractive way to add talent," Epstein said. "Right now, given our situation on a lot of different fronts, it's not a cure to our ills."
"We're not necessarily in a position to do that," Epstein said.

I've been saying this for awhile now. The cubs aren't 1 player away. They are at least 4-5 players away. So, to hear Theo say this doesn't surprise me at all. That being said, I think context is important here. He didn't they wouldn't add players. I read this as they don't intend to add a top 5 FA and may not add multiple FA's on the level of Jackson last year. I also think his wording on the first quote is interesting, specifically the part about short term. Maybe I'm reading more into it than is there but it sort of sounds like they will be willing to add players who are more long term investments. By that I mean international players.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
If the Cubs payroll is slashed to the 60 or 75 million range that some have suggested I would be upset. If the payroll is maintained at about the current level I will be content. There is one piece that the Cubs need to be all in on, and we will wait to see if he is available.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If we're going to talk about it we should probably address the actual article.

Talking about back loading contracts.

I've been saying this for awhile now. The cubs aren't 1 player away. They are at least 4-5 players away. So, to hear Theo say this doesn't surprise me at all. That being said, I think context is important here. He didn't they wouldn't add players. I read this as they don't intend to add a top 5 FA and may not add multiple FA's on the level of Jackson last year. I also think his wording on the first quote is interesting, specifically the part about short term. Maybe I'm reading more into it than is there but it sort of sounds like they will be willing to add players who are more long term investments. By that I mean international players.

And when will Theo wave his magic wand and say they're ready to build?

At some point, they have to build for something at the MLB level, not build to sell.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wouldn't blame Theo and them for not spending. That's all Ricketts and his financial people. Theo has shown he will spend when allowed. He just hasn't been able to spend here. I think people miss that. They think Theo believes in just the farm and the slow approach is the right approach. I don't agree. I think Theo would love to have some good vets from FA, but when budget wont allow it his hands are tied. He has stated multiple times that he has spent his allotted budget. I find this to be true. That's why I disagree with people that think Theo and them wouldn't give a big contract to some FA's that yall consider the "wrong" FA. If Ricketts said tom., Theo you can have a 200 million dollar payroll. I bet my left nut we would be signing some big FA's. It has to be a combo of both. Even when out farm kids come up, people will expect them to be Puig and I 99% believe that will not be the case. They would still have to develop in the majors. So, if you are waiting for the farm then you are going to be waiting another 3 to 4 years before the Cubs truly contend.

Also, Dabynsky who are you speaking of?

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
Jesse Rogers ‏@ESPNChiCubs 11m Long convo w Theo and media about lots of aspects about organization. Will blog on it. Hint: don't expect big FA signings.

What excuse will the apologists have this offseason?

I didn't have high hopes for them spending either. It would be nice for the Cubs to fill one of their outfield spots with either Hunter Pence or Jacoby Ellsbury. An oufield with Lake/Ellsbury/Schierholtz or Pence/Lake/Schierholtz would be nice. Brian McCann is a good hitting catcher that would be a nice additions to the roster. Going after Robinson Cano would be nice as well.

Maybe trade for a third baseman? Not all of their prospects will be starting for them in the future. They could trade a few for a third baseman and/or outfielder. They could also trade one of their starting pitcher since they have a good rotation.

What about giving Josh Vitters and Brett Jackson one more chance in spring training if the Cubs don't spend this offseason? What about bringing up Matt Szczur?

I think they are just one all star player away from competing, whether it's a third baseman or outfielder.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I think they are just one all star player away from competing, whether it's a third baseman or outfielder.

for fourth place in the division.

You got cut off there so I finished what you were typing for ya. No need to say thanks.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I didn't have high hopes for them spending either. It would be nice for the Cubs to fill one of their outfield spots with either Hunter Pence or Jacoby Ellsbury. An oufield with Lake/Ellsbury/Schierholtz or Pence/Lake/Schierholtz would be nice. Brian McCann is a good hitting catcher that would be a nice additions to the roster. Going after Robinson Cano would be nice as well.

Maybe trade for a third baseman? Not all of their prospects will be starting for them in the future. They could trade a few for a third baseman and/or outfielder. They could also trade one of their starting pitcher since they have a good rotation.

What about giving Josh Vitters and Brett Jackson one more chance in spring training if the Cubs don't spend this offseason? What about bringing up Matt Szczur?

No they need bounce back years from Rizzo and Castro and a vet bat to replace Sori in the line up. Even with that they would have to depend on a upper tier staff to carry the team forward. I believe Cruz is a match with what is going on with the team right now if he is offered a 1 year and they sell high. Schierholtz did way better than expected and if he was playing F/T 30 HR may have not been a reach this year. I have seen nothing to prove to me that he can not hit LH pitching because he was not given the opertunity to see more AB's vs them. Even then as we have seen it is not to hard to get a cheap RH platoon partner. Hairston was getting too much for his P/T.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
What I would do:

Sign Cruz for LF. He would cost in the 8-12 mil range on a 1 year to build up his value.

CF I would retain Sweeney. He hits both LH and RH pitching and plays fearless D.

RF retain Schierholtz.

Lake becomes either a 4th OF or goes into competition for 3B. 2B I don't believe they will give up Barney's D.

So line up:

1. Castro SS (He hits here the best)
2. Barney 2B (I believe he will see more AB's and be used to move the runner over IE small ball)
3. Rizzo 1B
4. Cruz LF
5. Schierholtz RF
6. Lake 3B (I'd roll with it/unless Olt just blows up S/T)
7. Sweeney CF little pop lower in the order
8. Castillo C.

Over all decent for the buck. Not great not bad.

Now with Baez close it opens up 3B for promotion. It also makes RF and LF open up after the year for Soler and Bryant. I'd go forward with Sweeney in CF for now.

Pitching wise I would trade Shark and either give it to Baker (If he can sustain this production/got to expect his velo. will improve), or go after Tanka from Japan and make a aggressive bid. Shark is too unpredictable to be considered a legit top of the rotation. Add to it he is at that point that they need to decide what to do and he has not proven to be worth a big investment.

Not bad?????? Team is awfull and your adding 1 hitter who doesnt get on base. He does what rest of team does and thats hit for power with no On base. That lineup is AWFULL. Barney IS NOT A STARTING 2B and NO way should he even be in the top 8 in the lineup. He should be on the bench but when he does play he should be batting 9th BEHIND the pitcher. He just awfull. No matter how good is glove is it doesnt even come close to making up for that god awfull bat.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
I love how the Cubs keep getting bashed, but aren't the White Sox strapped too? While the Cubs have a direction and I'm confuse of what the White Sox are doing. I'm not basking the White Sox, but I am lost of what they are doing.

If the Cubs can get a top line pitcher and a good OF, they won't win but will be a lot better and play tough games.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
If the Cubs payroll is slashed to the 60 or 75 million range that some have suggested I would be upset. If the payroll is maintained at about the current level I will be content. There is one piece that the Cubs need to be all in on, and we will wait to see if he is available.

Fans shouldnt just be upset about payroll being around 60-75 mil they should be OUTRAGED. Cubs are a BIG MARKET. Charge top tickets in the NL. They should be 120 mil + at the least. Other teams around Cubs Market are NYY,BOS,LAD,PHI all above 150 mil +. Yes not all those teams are winning and yes money doesnt mean they will win BUT it would give them alot better chance and make fans feel like the ownership actually cares (clearly Ricketts dont give a rat ass about winning)

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wouldn't blame Theo and them for not spending. That's all Ricketts and his financial people. Theo has shown he will spend when allowed. He just hasn't been able to spend here. I think people miss that. They think Theo believes in just the farm and the slow approach is the right approach. I don't agree. I think Theo would love to have some good vets from FA, but when budget wont allow it his hands are tied. He has stated multiple times that he has spent his allotted budget. I find this to be true. That's why I disagree with people that think Theo and them wouldn't give a big contract to some FA's that yall consider the "wrong" FA. If Ricketts said tom., Theo you can have a 200 million dollar payroll. I bet my left nut we would be signing some big FA's. It has to be a combo of both. Even when out farm kids come up, people will expect them to be Puig and I 99% believe that will not be the case. They would still have to develop in the majors. So, if you are waiting for the farm then you are going to be waiting another 3 to 4 years before the Cubs truly contend.

Also, Dabynsky who are you speaking of?

I agree with this 100%. Theo is NOT TO BLAME!. Its Tom Ricketts CHEAP ASS who is screwing the fans in the ass by charging top NL prices while having payroll below 80 mil. Theo has said many times now that he wishes he had more budget. Theo has hinted that he has missed out on players cause of money. Fans should be outraged by the ownership for being a cheap son of bitch who bought a big market team and is treating it like a small market team. He bought something he cant afford. Until Ricketts is dead or sells team then Cubs will keep on sucking. No way Theo sticks past his contract. Would you stick around in a big market that owenership gives you small market funds? Theo will move to a big market team that actually gives him the resources to win.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I love how the Cubs keep getting bashed, but aren't the White Sox strapped too? While the Cubs have a direction and I'm confuse of what the White Sox are doing. I'm not basking the White Sox, but I am lost of what they are doing.

If the Cubs can get a top line pitcher and a good OF, they won't win but will be a lot better and play tough games.

1) The White Sox have little to no fan base. Hurts to say it, but let's be real.
2) The White Sox re strapped a ton more. One of the worst teams in baseball as it relates to everyday revenue.
3) They are similar to the Cubs but given they might be a lot closer on the Major League level as basically their entire roster is young. They have a few pieces and with a couple of good free agent aquisitions and a few players not duplicating career low seasons can turn it around quick. The Cubs build slow from the minors to the bigs, The Sox try to acquire only soon to be ready minor league talent (something that can be hard to do)
4) Hard for either team to not be a lot better given how bad they are.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree with this 100%. Theo is NOT TO BLAME!. Its Tom Ricketts CHEAP ASS who is screwing the fans in the ass by charging top NL prices while having payroll below 80 mil. Theo has said many times now that he wishes he had more budget. Theo has hinted that he has missed out on players cause of money. Fans should be outraged by the ownership for being a cheap son of bitch who bought a big market team and is treating it like a small market team. He bought something he cant afford. Until Ricketts is dead or sells team then Cubs will keep on sucking. No way Theo sticks past his contract. Would you stick around in a big market that owenership gives you small market funds? Theo will move to a big market team that actually gives him the resources to win.

Ricketts big FA was Theo. He knew hiring him would keep fans off his back. It has worked.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ricketts big FA was Theo. He knew hiring him would keep fans off his back. It has worked.

Fans that undestand market sizes have not been off is back. I know many fans that are so fed up with Cubs cause of Ricketts alone. I have been saying this since day he bought team that he a business man and only cares about 1 thing and thats making money. Clearly everything he has done has proven that. Now if i was a fan of a Small or even medium market team i agree 100% what team is doing but they are NOT A SMALL OR MEDIUM MARKET TEAM! They are a Big Market team! There is 0 reason why a Big Market team cant build MLB team WHILE rebuilding farm. I agree having a farm is a MUST to win for extended period of time. While doing that Cubs could have been giving out 3-4 yr deals to help MLB club to be better. BOS proved that already. They went out and gave out contracts that were NO LONGER then 3 yr deals and they are still building up the farm. They went from 90+ losses to having the best record in baseball in 1 yr. I dont want to hear that they already have core. Guess what so do Cubs. Castro, Rizzo, Shark, etc were the core. Instead of building around them they put SHIT around them.