So Theo Baseball:

Chris J

Chris Jelinek
Liked Posts:
Welington Castillo: Really? :rofl:
Jeff Samardzija: Not this ace some think he is.
Anthony Rizzo: Overhyped.
Starlin Castro: Very talented but a headcase.
Travis Wood: Lets see him pitch in the AL. His ERA would be near 5.

Welington Castillo: Made big strides behind the plate this year with calling games/defense. Yadier Molina hit .252, .216, .275 in his first 3 full seasons.
Jeff Samardzija: Sucks ass
Anthony Rizzo: Lets hold off judgement for another year. I mean do you expect him to hit .280 in a shit lineup like this when hes got Schieholtz hitting behind him?
Starlin Castro: Has shown some improvement defensively the 2nd half of the season. Let him take his own approach at the plate and he will be fine
Travis Wood: Have you looked at his numbers against AL teams this year? Probably not. Lets not act like there is no hitting in the NL...

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
And when will Theo wave his magic wand and say they're ready to build?

At some point, they have to build for something at the MLB level, not build to sell.

Perhaps when they win more than 75 games with what they have?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Welington Castillo: Really? :rofl:
Jeff Samardzija: Not this ace some think he is.
Anthony Rizzo: Overhyped.
Starlin Castro: Very talented but a headcase.
Travis Wood: Lets see him pitch in the AL. His ERA would be near 5.

Castillo is one guy you cant diss. He already ranks as one of the best defensive catchers in baseball and add in his offensive stats. You are looking at one of the better catchers in the league.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Welington Castillo: Made big strides behind the plate this year with calling games/defense. Yadier Molina hit .252, .216, .275 in his first 3 full seasons.
Jeff Samardzija: Sucks ass
Anthony Rizzo: Lets hold off judgement for another year. I mean do you expect him to hit .280 in a shit lineup like this when hes got Schieholtz hitting behind him?
Starlin Castro: Has shown some improvement defensively the 2nd half of the season. Let him take his own approach at the plate and he will be fine
Travis Wood: Have you looked at his numbers against AL teams this year? Probably not. Lets not act like there is no hitting in the NL...

Well, if shark sucks ass then he will be on the Cubs for the next two years because he wont be traded for peanuts.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
We spend a lot of time talking about FA. But to me, I want to see the cubs be more active in the trade market bringing in proven young guys. Understandably you have to have prospects for that but I see that as a much better way of bringing in players rather than FA. That's another reason I'm fine with the way they have bought players to trade. The more prospects you have the more ammo you have in trades. Lee and Ramirez were far better than any FA Hendry brought in during his time here.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
As if Theo wouldn't trade those four for Sale right now.

Noy sure which "four" you are referring to, I listed five. And no, he wouldn't trade all five for Sale, as good as Sale is, that would be overpaying by a huge margin.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Noy sure which "four" you are referring to, I listed five. And no, he wouldn't trade all five for Sale, as good as Sale is, that would be overpaying by a huge margin.

My eyes did only read four. My bad. All five may be a bit much. But quantity doesn't get you quality. Take any of those four of five. Chris Sale would be a Cub if Hahn became drunk or something.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
My eyes did only read four. My bad. All five may be a bit much. But quantity doesn't get you quality. Take any of those four of five. Chris Sale would be a Cub if Hahn became drunk or something.

I know who I'm taking to the Billy Goat Tavern :smug:

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats

No, that is still too much. You could get four or five prospects, maybe 1 or 2 established major league starters at the most.

No pitcher in baseball would net four of those five in one deal.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
No, that is still too much. You could get four or five prospects, maybe 1 or 2 established major league starters at the most.

No pitcher in baseball would net four of those five in one deal.

You overvalue those five then.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
You overvalue those five then.

No, you are overvaluing Sale, as great as he is.

Show me one trade where ANY pitcher have ever netted four or five players that are already major league starters... I don't believe it has ever happened, at least not in the last 20-30 years.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
No, you are overvaluing Sale, as great as he is.

Show me one trade where ANY pitcher have ever netted four or five players that are already major league starters... I don't believe it has ever happened, at least not in the last 20-30 years.

I could be, but you expanded it to all.

Show me one instance where an ace early 20's guy from a big market team got traded that was showing nothing but Cy Young stuff (6th last year, I suspect will get a vote or two this year)

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I could be, but you expanded it to all.

Show me one instance where an ace early 20's guy from a big market team got traded that was showing nothing but Cy Young stuff (6th last year, I suspect will get a vote or two this year)

Exactly, he won't be traded. But he is not worth the "four of those guys" you are referring to.

And the Sox aren't a big market team, they are a mid-market team playing in a big market. :shifty:

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Exactly, he won't be traded. But he is not worth the "four of those guys" you are referring to.

And the Sox aren't a big market team, they are a mid-market team playing in a big market. :shifty:

Fan base aside, he's worth at least any of those four. Especially when you factor in contracts.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Cubs would take a huge step backwards if they made that trade.

And the Sox are not one player away from contending. He's a dumb ass and thank god I don't have to listen to him for the season. If so, I would have blown my brains out. Not this year, many many years ago.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Fan base aside, he's worth at least any of those four. Especially when you factor in contracts.

First you said "As if Theo wouldn't trade those four for Sale right now", now you are using the term "any of", how many are you talking here?

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
The Cubs would take a huge step backwards if they made that trade.

Ignoring the Hawk comment.

Would they take a step back? Let's see, they pocket all the cash from castro and Rizzo. They make room at SS and open up first base. They gain an ace who'd be right there with Kershaw year in and year out in the NL. They have such roster flexibility to not only bring in the young kids from the minors but go after it in free agency. I'd say they'd be a lot better, but hey, it's only an opinion.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
First you said "As if Theo wouldn't trade those four for Sale right now", now you are using the term "any of", how many are you talking here?

Sorry if my apology was not clear. I read four guys, five were posted. Any four of the five would be traded like that for Chris Sale. My bad. sorry.