So Theo Baseball:

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I like how you make fun of the lack of young guys for the Sox.

Avisail Garcia
Leury Garcia
Josh Phegley
Marcus Semien
Chris Sale
Addison Reed
Nate Jones
Hector Santiago
Jose Quintana
Jake Petricka
Erik Johnson
Dayan Viciedo

Possibly soon to be Brandon Jacobs. Get a clue before talking outta your ass.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Noy sure which "four" you are referring to, I listed five. And no, he wouldn't trade all five for Sale, as good as Sale is, that would be overpaying by a huge margin.

I would trade Castro, Rizzo, Pierce Johnson and a toss in for Sale right now. I would not be sad having Sale, Shark, Wood, Jackson and Arretta as my starting 5. For 1B I would fill in with F/A. Long term either Vogelbach or Bryant. SS let Baez stick there. They have a few in house options right now until then. As we have been saying on other threads pitching is at a premium and 1B is not. There is only 1 top 100 1B right now. To me 1B is a player who hits for power but lacks range to man LF and 3B. Rizzo is over hyped for his glove when it is a run production position.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Ignoring the Hawk comment.

Would they take a step back? Let's see, they pocket all the cash from castro and Rizzo. They make room at SS and open up first base. They gain an ace who'd be right there with Kershaw year in and year out in the NL. They have such roster flexibility to not only bring in the young kids from the minors but go after it in free agency. I'd say they'd be a lot better, but hey, it's only an opinion.

I don't have a dog in this fight but Castro and Rizzo aren't making a great deal of money. They're making a little over $8 mil/year until 2020 which is pretty cheap for starters.

Chris J

Chris Jelinek
Liked Posts:
I like how you make fun of the lack of young guys for the Sox.

Avisail Garcia
Leury Garcia
Josh Phegley
Marcus Semien
Chris Sale
Addison Reed
Nate Jones
Hector Santiago
Jose Quintana
Jake Petricka
Erik Johnson
Dayan Viciedo

Possibly soon to be Brandon Jacobs. Get a clue before talking outta your ass.

1) Could be good
2) Dont get your hopes up
3)Had a good start now he is horrendous. Avg is .231 and OBP is .241. That is flat out awful
4) High OBP but we arent tlking about Baez,Bogerts, Russel, or Lindor here.
5) One of the best pitchers. But still where has having the best pitcher in the game gotten you the past two years
6)Hes good, ERA a little high for a closer but it was his first year
7) Average
8) SOid but has a high WHIP
9) Good pitcher. Never will 1 or 2 guy
10) Kid looks pretty good, just needs to bring his Opp Avg down
11) Got a point there
12) Hes good but not like hes someone to build around, at all

The guys you listed are average. Not many of them have very high ceilings. YOu failed to mention Tim Anderson in this list for some reason.

But away from Sale I dont see any potential all-star/super star players. If you talk to the people who study systems, the Sox are in the shitter. Get a clue before you talk outta your ass about some average list of players(besides SALE) and say you got a good team

sirdudenstein

Liked Posts:
I'm still not high on Choo, but the Cubs do need another OF. The Cubs have to go all out for Tanaka and I think they will. They say they won't spend, but he's one guy that we could see.

I'm a fan of Choo depending on the deal. If the Cubs are insistent upon leaving Castro at leadoff, it would actually benefit him to have a guy like Choo hitting behind him. It would ensure that Castro saw more fastballs and that Rizzo would get to hit with runners on more often, which in turn may give him more pitches to hit. OBP is where this team is lacking, offensively. The lead the league in extra base hits, but are near the bottom in OBP.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I don't have a dog in this fight but Castro and Rizzo aren't making a great deal of money. They're making a little over $8 mil/year until 2020 which is pretty cheap for starters.

Each, for guys that aren't producing that kind of value.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I give Sale five years before he becomes and injury case every year. Just my take

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I give Sale five years before he becomes and injury case every year. Just my take

Many have said he'd be broke already with his arm delivery.

And the guy that said the Cubs won't win another WS for 100+ years got laughed to his grave, but look whose grand kids look stupid now.

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Chris J, go back to :fap:ping to your hero Theo.

Let me know when your hyped up prospects are in the majors...mmm k.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

You will see 2 next year soooooooooo:parrot:
but I do agree with some of your post:clap:

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Many have said he's be broke already with his arm delivery.

And the guy that said the Cubs won't win another WS for 100+ years got laughed to his grave, but look whose grand kids look stupid now.

I said just my take. I just find a couple of things that I see could be problems but ride the horse until he breaks.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm a fan of Choo depending on the deal. If the Cubs are insistent upon leaving Castro at leadoff, it would actually benefit him to have a guy like Choo hitting behind him. It would ensure that Castro saw more fastballs and that Rizzo would get to hit with runners on more often, which in turn may give him more pitches to hit. OBP is where this team is lacking, offensively. The lead the league in extra base hits, but are near the bottom in OBP.

Honestly would love to grab Choo and have him bat second. Fair bit of evidence suggests your best hitter should hit two and given his lack of pure power I see Choo as being an ideal two hitter. Add in the fact that he is patient and a guy with a little speed in Castro can maybe swipe 15 bags or so.

Chris J

Chris Jelinek
Liked Posts:

Dont be mad that we actually have hyped prospects. I would hype up Tim Anderson for you guys and thats about it. Your poor player development already screwed up Hawkins by starting him in High A. The three best HS hitters in last years draft(Buxton,Correa, and Almora) all started at Full-A and for some reason the Sox player development decided Hawkins was good enough to be at A Advanced. Well 160 strikeouts and .170 average later, what a big mistake that was

So yea in 2 years when Cubs prospects are entering the league, some will turn out, some won't, we will still be way better off than your organization

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Ignoring the Hawk comment.

Would they take a step back? Let's see, they pocket all the cash from castro and Rizzo. They make room at SS and open up first base. They gain an ace who'd be right there with Kershaw year in and year out in the NL. They have such roster flexibility to not only bring in the young kids from the minors but go after it in free agency. I'd say they'd be a lot better, but hey, it's only an opinion.

Opening up a roster spot for a prospect that may or may not fill it, or a FA that is even more money, is not an advantage... lmao.

Sorry if my apology was not clear. I read four guys, five were posted. Any four of the five would be traded like that for Chris Sale. My bad. sorry.

And no, you would not get four of Castro, Rizzo, Shark, Wood, Castillo for one player, no matter who it is. It's ridiculous to even suggest it.

I could possibly see two of them, a pitching prospect, another good prospect but not Top 4 in our system after already getting two young ML starters, and a throw-in at the ABSOLUTE most, and it would be pushing it.

You won't come anywhere close to that... for any player in baseball really.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Fair bit of evidence suggests your best hitter should hit two.

As with most I have always heard three, so if you have any info I am totally interested in reading about that.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
You won't come anywhere close to that... for any player in baseball really.

I agree with this. I didn't say it would happen. I am saying that if Hahn contacted Theo and said I'll take four of the five for Sale, Theo would get rid of four of the five. The fact that Hahn would be shopping Chris starts the fairy land example over the four for one deal.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
As with most I have always heard three, so if you have any info I am totally interested in reading about that.

The argument was first put forward I believe by Tom Tango, who happens to be a Cubs advisor now, in his most well known work The Book: Playing the Percentages in Baseball. This article from a Twins beat writer puts forward the key components to the argument:
The No. 2 hitter, according to the great "The Book: Playing the Percentages in Baseball," is one of the most essential spots in the lineup. It comes up with about as many RBI chances as the No. 3 spot, but obviously comes up more often. Thus, while historically the idea is that you should bat your best hitter third, in fact he should hit second or fourth (where there are even more chances to drive in runs but of course fewer plate appearances).

This article from Beyond the Boxscore breaks down lineup optimization according to Tom Tango.

Again I think this works really well with Choo who isn't really a prototypical three hitter anyway, but his OPS+ trend suggests that he would be the Cubs best hitter next year.

Last edited:

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I agree with this. I didn't say it would happen. I am saying that if Hahn contacted Theo and said I'll take four of the five for Sale, Theo would get rid of four of the five. The fact that Hahn would be shopping Chris starts the fairy land example over the four for one deal.

Even if you guys were shopping him, you wouldn't get that much.