So Theo Baseball:

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
General manager Ben Cherington may have gone 6-for-7 in terms of free agent signings this offseason, writes Jon Heyman of CBS Sports. Heyman lists Shane Victorino, Mike Napoli, Koji Uehara, David Ross, Jonny Gomes and Stephen Drew as wins, and that's not including the cheap pick-up of Mike Carp. Other teams are taking note of the blueprint, with one Mets official telling Heyman there's "a lot of merit" to Cherington's approach. Heyman points out that even with the $8MM worth of incentives to Napoli, the total free agent commitment of $108.2MM is about $17MM less than Josh Hamilton's contract on its own.

^^^^ This what i have been saying Cubs should do for last 4 yrs since Ricketts has been owner. I agree its DUMB to give you any contract longer then 4 yrs. But BIG Market can fill in holes with FA like this! Can take a team that has 90 losses to competiting for playoffs in 1 yr!!!

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Luhnow tells Ortiz that the team expects 2014 to be a "substantial step forward" in terms of on-field results and adds: "I think our fans have been very, very patient, and they deserve to see that next year."

If HOU fans have been that so called patient what have Cub fans been????

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
1) The White Sox have little to no fan base. Hurts to say it, but let's be real.
2) The White Sox re strapped a ton more. One of the worst teams in baseball as it relates to everyday revenue.
3) They are similar to the Cubs but given they might be a lot closer on the Major League level as basically their entire roster is young. They have a few pieces and with a couple of good free agent aquisitions and a few players not duplicating career low seasons can turn it around quick. The Cubs build slow from the minors to the bigs, The Sox try to acquire only soon to be ready minor league talent (something that can be hard to do)
4) Hard for either team to not be a lot better given how bad they are.

The Sox need to go free agency or they won't be goiod. But with no game changers via free agency and money not really to spend, it'll be hard for them. I'm just being honest.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
The Sox need to go free agency or they won't be goiod. But with no game changers via free agency and money not really to spend, it'll be hard for them. I'm just being honest.

Or they just need players to have normal years. If everyone had a career average year they are probably an 80+ win team. Not making the Wild Card or Winning the disiion, but playing meaningful baseball into late August at least. And that's without spending a dime and everyone playing to career norms.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
1) The White Sox have little to no fan base. Hurts to say it, but let's be real.
2) The White Sox re strapped a ton more. One of the worst teams in baseball as it relates to everyday revenue.
3) They are similar to the Cubs but given they might be a lot closer on the Major League level as basically their entire roster is young. They have a few pieces and with a couple of good free agent aquisitions and a few players not duplicating career low seasons can turn it around quick. The Cubs build slow from the minors to the bigs, The Sox try to acquire only soon to be ready minor league talent (something that can be hard to do)
4) Hard for either team to not be a lot better given how bad they are.

The Sox are not a lot closer on the major league level, and you don't have better near-majors prospects... we have Baez, Alcantara, Soler, Bryant, Vogelbach, Edwards, Johnson, Olt, etc. all ticketed to start next season in AA or higher...

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Or they just need players to have normal years. If everyone had a career average year they are probably an 80+ win team. Not making the Wild Card or Winning the disiion, but playing meaningful baseball into late August at least. And that's without spending a dime and everyone playing to career norms.

I mean Rios and Peavy are gone, that makes your team worse. Danks has struggled and can he keep his arm together. Beckhan has always been streaky, keppinger is utiltiy at best. I wouldn't be surprise if Ramirez is traded. Floyd ain't great. Who knows what Dunn and Konerko will do.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
The Sox are not a lot closer on the major league level, and you don't have better near-majors prospects... we have Baez, Alcantara, Soler, Bryant, Vogelbach, Edwards, Johnson, Olt, etc. all ticketed to start next season in AA or higher...

We have Sale, Garcia, Garcia, Reed, etc, all guys that are....wait for it....wait for it....Playing at the Major League Level already.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I mean Rios and Peavy are gone, that makes your team worse. Danks has struggled and can he keep his arm together. Beckhan has always been streaky, keppinger is utiltiy at best. I wouldn't be surprise if Ramirez is traded. Floyd ain't great. Who knows what Dunn and Konerko will do.

:hug: You don't know our team, this comment alone gets you another :hug:

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
We have Sale, Garcia, Garcia, Reed, etc, all guys that are....wait for it....wait for it....Playing at the Major League Level already.

Castro, Rizzo, Castillo, Samardzija, Wood...

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wouldn't blame Theo and them for not spending. That's all Ricketts and his financial people. Theo has shown he will spend when allowed. He just hasn't been able to spend here. I think people miss that. They think Theo believes in just the farm and the slow approach is the right approach. I don't agree. I think Theo would love to have some good vets from FA, but when budget wont allow it his hands are tied. He has stated multiple times that he has spent his allotted budget. I find this to be true. That's why I disagree with people that think Theo and them wouldn't give a big contract to some FA's that yall consider the "wrong" FA. If Ricketts said tom., Theo you can have a 200 million dollar payroll. I bet my left nut we would be signing some big FA's. It has to be a combo of both. Even when out farm kids come up, people will expect them to be Puig and I 99% believe that will not be the case. They would still have to develop in the majors. So, if you are waiting for the farm then you are going to be waiting another 3 to 4 years before the Cubs truly contend.

Also, Dabynsky who are you speaking of?

Tanaka is the guy that is an absolute must go after with everything available. I was saying Cano earlier, but I don't know with the deal the Dodgers are likely to offer if he even thinks about leaving NYY.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Tanaka is the guy that is an absolute must go after with everything available. I was saying Cano earlier, but I don't know with the deal the Dodgers are likely to offer if he even thinks about leaving NYY.

Agreed, I don't think we ever were going to actually entertain a big Cano offer. I am all for a bidding war between the Yankees and Dodgers so Tanaka can hopefully come to us.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Agreed, I don't think we ever were going to actually entertain a big Cano offer. I am all for a bidding war between the Yankees and Dodgers so Tanaka can hopefully come to us.

I would love Tanaka and Choo as an offseason. Add some improvements from the young players and this could be a surprise team next year. But end of the day I would be shocked to get either one. Nelson Cruz on a short term deal makes some sense as well.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm still not high on Choo, but the Cubs do need another OF. The Cubs have to go all out for Tanaka and I think they will. They say they won't spend, but he's one guy that we could see.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
I love how the Cubs keep getting bashed, but aren't the White Sox strapped too? While the Cubs have a direction and I'm confuse of what the White Sox are doing. I'm not basking the White Sox, but I am lost of what they are doing.

If the Cubs can get a top line pitcher and a good OF, they won't win but will be a lot better and play tough games.

Hey, according to Hawk, the Sox are one player away from being a contender!

justaChifan

Liked Posts:
Sorry haven't read all of the thread. Second honest question.
Do fans actually believe Epstein and Ricketts aren't on the same page with the payroll and budget limits?

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Castro, Rizzo, Castillo, Samardzija, Wood...

Welington Castillo: Really? :rofl:
Jeff Samardzija: Not this ace some think he is.
Anthony Rizzo: Overhyped.
Starlin Castro: Very talented but a headcase.
Travis Wood: Lets see him pitch in the AL. His ERA would be near 5.

Last edited:

justaChifan

Liked Posts:
Their in-cahoots please. That's the kinda naivety they expect from Cub fans.

Chris J

Chris Jelinek
Liked Posts:
Cause you completely ignored the rest of him. I can state bad things about anybody. Miguel Cabrera cant field or run. Also, is his defense really going to be any worst then what we have seen from Dejesus, Sweeney, and LAke? I know his bat and OBP will be a fuck ton better.

Big difference between Choo and Cabrera. lmao