So there may be a lot of HC openings next year.

r1terrell23

Liked Posts:
I think most coaches are going to pick the established team with more talent all other things being equal. Buffalo has a much better chance of being a good team over the next few years than the Bears do. Winning is the number one thing that increases job security, and I'm guessing most coaches value that over most other things.

That said I think the Bears job will be the top few, as the capital they have to improve is huge.
I think the premise is that the team that has a chance of being good has already failed and gotten a coach fired. That is just as risky a situation because the good QB and team couldn't get it done, so the expectation will be for you to win immediately, something the other coach couldn't do.

Whereas in the Bears case, if a coach feels Caleb is generational, he may assume that he could make that work while having enough time to build something. His seat wouldn't get hot for 3 years unless he is a dumpster fire like Flus. I don't think this means other teams aren't desirable, just that having Caleb and cap space gives a new coach options and time.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I think most coaches are going to pick the established team with more talent all other things being equal. Buffalo has a much better chance of being a good team over the next few years than the Bears do. Winning is the number one thing that increases job security, and I'm guessing most coaches value that over most other things.

That said I think the Bears job will be the top few, as the capital they have to improve is huge.
Issue is you have less of a leash with established teams. Buffalo, which I doubt will have an opening, will be expected to immediately content for a championship.

MakeMyDay

VISIONARY
Donator
Liked Posts:
There have been many nfl “pundits” that have mentioned the possibility of many head coach openings.

Rivera
Eberflus
Allen
McDermott
Bowles
Staley
Belichik
Saleh
Vrabel

McDaniels/Reich already gone. But yes, fuck Albright. I think a prior Twitter account of mine was blocked by him when I pointed out his bullshit

Biff defended that douche with a passion

McDaniels and Reich were coaching 2 of the worst run franchises in the league - Both have a history of firing coaches without notice and will always have trouble getting quality unless they catch lightning in a bottle. That is why they could only hire those 2 turds to begin with.

Everyone else on the list with less than 3 seasons (Eberflus, Bowles) I have a lot of doubt gets fired...
Allen - Only >3yr group that might see the Turk. He has been with NO for many years beforehand
McDemott and Belichik seem too be odd ones to fire...
Rivera - New Management - losing record
Staley - Stupid in game coaching middling record
Vrabel - Iffy on his firing - has a winning record - several play off appearances
Saleh - was handed a turd sandwich with Zach Wilson, but the Jets are the Jets...

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Issue is you have less of a leash with established teams. Buffalo, which I doubt will have an opening, will be expected to immediately content for a championship.
The Bears were supposed to be bad in 22 and 23, full rebuild, that hopefully won't save Eberflus.

For me, I'd go for the better team. It of course matters what the coach thinks of the actual players, GM etc.

r1terrell23

Liked Posts:
The Bears were supposed to be bad in 22 and 23, full rebuild, that hopefully won't save Eberflus.

For me, I'd go for the better team. If of course matter what the coach thinks of the actual players, GM etc.
Flus is a defensive guy that didn't have a market, so a little different. He has also been historically bad for us. Look at the QB's he's beaten since he's been here. We also can't win divisional games while losing games because of him. Lastly, if you get the first pick and are moving on from Fields, then you can't keep Flus and Getsy and then fire them next year.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Flus is a defensive guy that didn't have a market, so a little different. He has also been historically bad for us. Look at the QB's he's beaten since he's been here. We also can't win divisional games while losing games because of him. Lastly, if you get the first pick and are moving on from Fields, then you can't keep Flus and Getsy and then fire them next year.
A little different than what? It's a hypothetical coach coming in, right?

I don't want to keep Eberflus, that isn't the question. Coaching a team that is supposed to be bad or rebuilding doesn't really provide more insulation imo. If an offensive guy comes here with Caleb Williams and the rest of the resources they will have this year and next, and doesn't do well, most everyone here will want him fired. Most coaches who are fired have bad or at best average talent. What I'm saying is I would go where I think there is the most talent because I think that's the best route to winning and winning is the best route to job security.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
If JF is gone no way Flus and Getsy stay.

mecha

Liked Posts:
Eberflus and staff are like an infection. can the Bears front office treat an infection? cause if you dump Fields and draft another quarterback, they'll get infected too otherwise.

also can people stop with this theory that Eberflus will take a demotion to DC under a new head coach?

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Am I still allowed to want Leftwich or has that ship sailed?

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:

Does this change your opinion of firing Flus? I’ve already read it’s not the strongest crop of head coaching candidates.
No. Plenty of strong candidates before that never panned out. You don’t know who’s going to be good. It’s a risk. And luck that the coach gets a coaching staff that actually knows what they are doing, plus has enough talent on the roster, plus that his draft picks pan out. There’s a lot of luck involved. Not everything, but plenty.

We know Flus didn’t get the luck. And he’s not that good of a head coach and hired a bad OC. Might as well play your cards and risk it with another person and see where it falls.