So, what if…

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Are you chalking up the improvements from CLE to DET as only the lions being the lions? There’s no other possible way that the team can improve to being competitive?
Not at all but that's definitely part of it. Again, i think i know what the ceiling of this offense is with these coaches. Any of them. Nothing worth sticking with.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
If he reverts to pre-Cleveland Nagy then sure, kick his ass to the curb. That’s not what I’m talking about. If he truly has been beaten into submission by reality and they look like a legit team going forward, why introduce any drastic changes to the team?
Yes, because the sign of a great HC is that he was
beaten into submission by reality

We all love titties.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Sure, this is valid. But my original scenario still stands. If he realizes that managing the team as a whole, not just focusing on the offense, is what helps the team then everyone wins

I just don't think we can trust Nagy to stay hands off.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nagy’s Bears are still a mediocre team until they beat quality opponents.

Could he make a playoff run and secure his job? Sure, but if he doesn’t beat the Packers and win the division what’s the point in keeping him around?

1COBearsfan

Equinsu ocha
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nagy’s Bears are still a mediocre team until they beat quality opponents.

Could he make a playoff run and secure his job? Sure, but if he doesn’t beat the Packers and win the division what’s the point in keeping him around?
That wasn’t the original argument I was making. If Lazor takes over most of the offensive responsibilities and the team starts winning decidedly, and wins a playoff game, would you be cool with Nagy staying?

I’d have a hard time saying no, especially if he makes it explicitly clear during the off-season that there would be no/minimal changes to how the team was run

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
…the changes made for the Lions game mean the Bears are legit competitive during the hard part of the schedule and curb stomp their way to a playoff win(one and done though)?

If Lazor is actually in charge of the offense; writing the game plan and calling plays but uses certain plays/input from Nagy. Nagy is relegated to the best cheerleader and locker room glue we’ve ever seen. He gets to draw up all the weird plays he wants, Lazor uses them when and how he sees fit. The offense climbs up the league rankings to 15th-ish

And as a result the D is able to do what it does best and returns to a top 5 unit

Would this be acceptable and make anyone ok with Nagy getting an extension?

P.S. This is just a thought experiment so don’t get so worked up
The next 6 games are brutal. We will see just how good this team is after those games. 6-0 would be nice but it is a stretch.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Idk Nagy is a weirdo. Gotta see it actually happen before I can give you a true assessment.
I get chills thinking they could actually pick a head coach that is worse than Nagy.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
That wasn’t the original argument I was making. If Lazor takes over most of the offensive responsibilities and the team starts winning decidedly, and wins a playoff game, would you be cool with Nagy staying?

I’d have a hard time saying no, especially if he makes it explicitly clear during the off-season that there would be no/minimal changes to how the team was run

I would have zero hard time saying no.

This season now is all about Justin fields.

This is about fit.

This is what it's like and what it means to have a franchise quarterback that you're developing.

You no longer care if the quarterback can run the coach's scheme. You care if the coach's scheme can fully compliment your quarterback.

This is rare air now. We as Bears fans have never been here before but I've seen other teams from afar do this.

Go get the right guy in when the season is over.

Last edited:

1COBearsfan

Equinsu ocha
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would have zero hard time saying no.

This season now is all about Justin fields.

This is about fit.

This is what it's like and what it means to have a franchise quarterback that you're developing.

You no longer care if the quarterback can run the coach's scheme. You care if the coach is scheme can fully compliment your quarterback.

This is rare air now. We as Bears fans have never been here before but I've seen other teams from afar do this.

Go get the right guy in when the season is over.
These are all fair points

And for the record: The only way I would actually have a hard time saying no to Nagy being fired is if my original scenario is played out and the team just goes on a tear. Literally dominating everyone and storming to a super bowl win. I understand that has basically zero chance in happening also. Any other result and I’m also fine with Nagy getting shit canned

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

It's a premature discussion. Nagy put himself on the hot seat in Cleveland with historic ineptitude. A win over the Lions doesn't mean much for his job security.

I'm not interested in rehabilitating a coach with a low ceiling over some hypotheticals. I don't think he's the answer in the long term so winning a pointless playoff game doesn't move the needle for me.

Ultimately it's about Fields development. The only reason you keep him around is for stability and that's only if he proves not to be a detriment to the young QB. He needs to stay far away from playcalling. He needs to prove he's not just a bumslayer by beating quality opponents in the playoffs.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
…the changes made for the Lions game mean the Bears are legit competitive during the hard part of the schedule and curb stomp their way to a playoff win(one and done though)?

If Lazor is actually in charge of the offense; writing the game plan and calling plays but uses certain plays/input from Nagy. Nagy is relegated to the best cheerleader and locker room glue we’ve ever seen. He gets to draw up all the weird plays he wants, Lazor uses them when and how he sees fit. The offense climbs up the league rankings to 15th-ish

And as a result the D is able to do what it does best and returns to a top 5 unit

Would this be acceptable and make anyone ok with Nagy getting an extension?

P.S. This is just a thought experiment so don’t get so worked up

I dont think much could get Nagy an extension at this point.

1COBearsfan

Equinsu ocha
Donator
Liked Posts:
I dont think much could get Nagy an extension at this point.
Probably not

Do you think if the team plays like my hypothetical situation or better that he will get another shot? Would you be ok with that or is the damage done and no takesy-backsy’s?