So, what if…

ChiKhan

QB1
Liked Posts:
By that logic, shouldn't all of the past Lions games have been indicators of future success that never happened?
Lazor is better than Nagy but that doesn't mean much anyway. Bears offense dropped 30 and 27 on Detroit last season. Yes the offense got better with Lazor last year? Yes but let's be honest he was it was a combination of him bum slaying Jaguars Texans and Minnesotas 2nd string.

We still haven't seen Lazors offense against a decent team. So to me it's an unknown how they'll do especially without Monty.

1COBearsfan

Equinsu ocha
Donator
Liked Posts:
Normally I would be okay with that, but laser already has a playbook out on him at the other stops where he's been offensive coordinator. And it looks similar to what he's running with fields.

He's just not that Guy.

He's Doug Collins, not Phil Jackson.
If Lazor is the interim coach then there are zero expectations for the rest of the season, just try to enjoy something and be easy on your liver. Regroup during the off-season and let the blind optimism of a new coach wash over you

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
I don't know that Olins point is overblown but I agree with a lot of what you said here.

And I am in an odd place as well, that with fields, I am now in a spot where I'm a little more okay with keeping Ryan pace, with an asterisk that the offensive line under the new coach does finally get properly addressed, be it that we lack talent, or simply that the blocking scheme was over complicated and now we have the right coaches to simplify it and maximize the talent we have.

Pace has been hit or miss, but at least he's hit and had some success. Frankly my biggest reservation with him is the fact that he's the one who brought in Matt nagy in the first place. Don't know that I trust him to pick the next head coach and get it right.
Your last sentence is fair but think back to the coaching candidates that year. None of them are HC currently and only schumer became a HC and was quickly fired. Now think of the salesman Nagy is and the endorsements from Andy Reid. Pace got bamboozled like a first time car buyer, but he didn’t have many good options either

1COBearsfan

Equinsu ocha
Donator
Liked Posts:
Or lazor. Or anyone else on that staff.
Are you chalking up the improvements from CLE to DET as only the lions being the lions? There’s no other possible way that the team can improve to being competitive?

1COBearsfan

Equinsu ocha
Donator
Liked Posts:
I’m going to jinx this but… 3 pages and it’s been pretty civil. I don’t think I’ve seen anyone called an idiot yet

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
…the changes made for the Lions game mean the Bears are legit competitive during the hard part of the schedule and curb stomp their way to a playoff win(one and done though)?

If Lazor is actually in charge of the offense; writing the game plan and calling plays but uses certain plays/input from Nagy. Nagy is relegated to the best cheerleader and locker room glue we’ve ever seen. He gets to draw up all the weird plays he wants, Lazor uses them when and how he sees fit. The offense climbs up the league rankings to 15th-ish

And as a result the D is able to do what it does best and returns to a top 5 unit

Would this be acceptable and make anyone ok with Nagy getting an extension?

P.S. This is just a thought experiment so don’t get so worked up
Winning is the whole point...But Fields needs to grow into spot and Bears need to show they can facilitate that. I believe there is still another year on his contract. I don't think Nagy gets extended short of winning the Superbowl.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
If they are truly "curb stomping" their opponents because of elite offensive production and not winning by pulling a feather out of their ass or because of their defense, then we would have to consider extending Nagy and Lazor.

This is kinda like, well what if a rich supermodel actually calls you and wants to get married. Do you leave your wife?

1COBearsfan

Equinsu ocha
Donator
Liked Posts:
Winning is the whole point...But Fields needs to grow into spot and Bears need to show they can facilitate that. I believe there is still another year on his contract. I don't think Nagy gets extended short of winning the Superbowl.
Yeah, if Lazor shows he can’t adapt to anything and just keeps treading water then Nagy definitely needs to find another OC. His HC gig depends on it

1COBearsfan

Equinsu ocha
Donator
Liked Posts:
If they are truly "curb stomping" their opponents because of elite offensive production and not winning by pulling a feather out of their ass or because of their defense, then we would have to consider extending Nagy and Lazor.

This is kinda like, well what if a rich supermodel actually calls you and wants to get married. Do you leave your wife?
That was a bit hyperbolic, maybe “winning convincingly” is better. But the overall scenario isn’t completely out of the realm of possibility, I hope

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
I love this board....week after the Browns game and all hope is lost with a max of 4 wins....week after the Lions game and its playoffs are a possibility! We need to see consistency and we most certainly need to see it against better teams than the Lions
It's why I just donated another $50.

CCS is my Crack.

@zack54attack

Not enough boobies, how about a hat? Lol

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:

I don’t see them curb stomping their opponents at all. But even if it does happen, you have to give credit where it’s due, Bill Lazor. Beside Fields, he would be the only reason this happen.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Your last sentence is fair but think back to the coaching candidates that year. None of them are HC currently and only schumer became a HC and was quickly fired. Now think of the salesman Nagy is and the endorsements from Andy Reid. Pace got bamboozled like a first time car buyer, but he didn’t have many good options either

I think the thing that got all of us was Andy Reid overselling Nagy combined with his coaching tree. Now I think Reid was just desperate to get rid of him.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
I have no problems with 1 & 2. Number 3 isn’t a given. How many good coaches let the OC & DC mostly do their thing and concentrate on managing the team as a whole, maybe interjecting a bit on one side or the other? Serious question. I’m not a huge football nerd but I know they exist
The difference with this last comment is Nagy made a last stand like Custer with the Dalton thing and his play calling, he lowered himself to being thought of as a glorified OC vs. real HC's who are confident enough realize the overall is a big job and that's what they work on. Nagy brought this on himself.

Bort

Liked Posts:
Playoffs are much more likely than they were a week ago, but not because of the Lions game.

Almost everyone on this board was expecting a win against the Lions followed by 4 or even 6 consecutive losses.

But now with all the injuries to the Packers and the 49ers likely to start Lance, those home games against the Packers and 49ers suddenly look very winnable.

If the Bears can get to 4-4 and get Monty and Hicks back for the second half of the season, I think they’d be on track to sneak into the playoffs.

1COBearsfan

Equinsu ocha
Donator
Liked Posts:
The difference with this last comment is Nagy made a last stand like Custer with the Dalton thing and his play calling, he lowered himself to being thought of as a glorified OC vs. real HC's who are confident enough realize the overall is a big job and that's what they work on. Nagy brought this on himself.
Sure, this is valid. But my original scenario still stands. If he realizes that managing the team as a whole, not just focusing on the offense, is what helps the team then everyone wins

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
…the changes made for the Lions game mean the Bears are legit competitive during the hard part of the schedule and curb stomp their way to a playoff win(one and done though)?

If Lazor is actually in charge of the offense; writing the game plan and calling plays but uses certain plays/input from Nagy. Nagy is relegated to the best cheerleader and locker room glue we’ve ever seen. He gets to draw up all the weird plays he wants, Lazor uses them when and how he sees fit. The offense climbs up the league rankings to 15th-ish

And as a result the D is able to do what it does best and returns to a top 5 unit

Would this be acceptable and make anyone ok with Nagy getting an extension?

P.S. This is just a thought experiment so don’t get so worked up
I would hate it but I said at the start of the season that Nagy needs to get the offense to be at least a top 16 offense. I never stipulated with Nagy being the play caller or anything.

I guess I am stuck with that ...

... until I change my mind like the Bears did with Dalton being QB1.

I would rather the Bears take someone else from the Reid coaching tree who would be better than Nagy. Pederson would be an upgrade without scrapping the whole scheme.

Not my ideal choice but better than Nagy.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Raiders game will be a big tell for the rest of the season, imo. Win or lose, if they look soft and Special person again I think the season is over. Also win or lose, if they play a great game and look sharp and aggressive I think this is the beginning of some good things

I like it, let’s start taking tickets for the bandwagon now. I’ll drive, you serve drinks
I was one of the few people here who kept saying that 2021 was not a throw away year and could do something while Fields continued to grow as a starter.

I have been on the bandwagon well before people even thought to bring some horses along and get going.