Some QB Needy Teams Will Wait Until Next Year

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
Most agree that there are only 2 top prospects (Stroud & Young) in this draft worth trading
up for or drafting very high.
With a lot of needy teams I think some may wait until next year for Caleb Williams and try to
position themselves for that. Caleb is a generational talent with all the boxes checked.
If the GM and HC have job security and Owner blessing I think it may happen.
What do you think?

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Most agree that there are only 2 top prospects (Stroud & Young) in this draft worth trading
With a lot of needy teams I think some may wait until next year for Caleb Williams and try to
position themselves for that. Caleb is a generational talent with all the boxes checked.
What do you think?

Worrying about next year when you can get QB now? Remember only one team will get Caleb Williams next year anyways. Young and Stroud proved they are good QBs. It’s not Young’s and Stroud’s fault that their defense sucks.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Which of the administrations do you think are secure enough to be able to be in position to draft a top QB two years in a row?

I don't buy it. The ones that "wait for next year" are the ones that lose a bidding war. Those teams will take lesser prospects in later rounds to give fans a little hope for a miracle, and hope the REST of the team shows enough promise to save their jobs.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
I think it's odd how some people think it's always next year until next year gets here then it's next year again.

Let's say we have #2 and those are the only 2 QBs worth it. Nobody wants to move up because they think we won't take a QB since we have Fields. I'm taking a QB.
You wanted to wait until next year? Fine call me next year and you can have the one that didn't work out as well and since it's a known commodity then you can pay the same price or more.

Nobody is waiting. If they want one of those QBs they'll pay. Nobody is banking on the Bears being all in on Fields. Few are waiting for a QB next year and nobody is putting off a QB they would like this year for one they might like more next year.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
What do you think?
I think only one team will be in position to draft whoever they want, and that is extremely difficult. Especially for a team not already terrible and coached by Lovie Smith.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think it's odd how some people think it's always next year until next year gets here then it's next year again.

Let's say we have #2 and those are the only 2 QBs worth it. Nobody wants to move up because they think we won't take a QB since we have Fields. I'm taking a QB.
You wanted to wait until next year? Fine call me next year and you can have the one that didn't work out as well and since it's a known commodity then you can pay the same price or more.

Nobody is waiting. If they want one of those QBs they'll pay. Nobody is banking on the Bears being all in on Fields. Few are waiting for a QB next year and nobody is putting off a QB they would like this year for one they might like more next year.
Jordan Love says Hi.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Caleb Williams is a great QB, but with last years draft class not that great at QB, I think some teams will talk themselves into selecting mid tier guys this year over waiting. In fact, I think teams planned last year on hopes they would draft a QB in 2023. (Lions, Falcons, Panthers, etc) Maybe someone trades for Rodgers/Love or Jimmy G/Lance. But the 2024 draft is too far away.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
What do you think?
Teams will wait but not because they want to. More out of necessity. There’s only so many good rookie QB prospects and a lot teams in need of a QB.

Guessing here and going off memory but there’s typically what 3-4 QBs going off the board round 1 depending on the year. It’s early yet but seems like the consensus this year is 3 QBs in the top 10

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
What do you think?
They said the same about Trevor Lawrence. You take em when you can get em. 'Positioning' for the draft is a bigger crap shot than skipping on an opportunity for players like the 2 mentioned.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

You nailed the 1st part but completely blew the 2nd. If you don't trade that QB pick immediately after making it, you've decreases that value exponentially. You want some of this year's #1s etc to make that a smart move. How do you maintain the value of both your QBs by not playing one, especially when a future pick isn't worth as much as a current one.

bears5150

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
The Pac-12 is garbage, especially defensively. Take that into consideration when rating Caleb. Good QB yes Great I will want to see more.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Until these guys go thru the combine ansd workoutd saying there is only 2 top prospects is premature.

I recall at this point in 2016, some had Deshone Kizer as the top QB. At this time in 2020, Fields was the 2nd top QB behind Lawrence. A lot changes between now and the draft.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

Have you ever paid any attention to an NFL draft before?

You seriously think a QB needy team won't trade to the #2 spot as they "dare" the Bears to draft a QB?

This is mind-numbingly ignorant.

Speed

Liked Posts:
I'm eyeing Carolina who are #5 right now as the trade down target if we end up #2(My assumption is Young goes #1 to the Texans). It's a tough sell to the team and the fans going into another year with the bullshit they have at QB.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Have you ever paid any attention to an NFL draft before?

You seriously think a QB needy team won't trade to the #2 spot as they "dare" the Bears to draft a QB?

This is mind-numbingly ignorant.
Yeah, a team picking 4 or later don't NOT trade up because the Bears won't pick a QB. The incentive to trade up is because Detroit or Seattle might take one at 3.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I know these things can change drastically in a year, but right now 2024 QB class looks pretty strong. Caleb Williams (USC) is the likely Heisman winner this year. Drake Maye (UNC) is very highly thought of as well. He has potential to be in NYC for the Heisman ceremony this year as well. Quinn Ewers is a former top recruit who has shown plenty of flashes at Texas this year. Then the wildcard is Shedeur Sanders, Deion's kid. Super athlete who has improved as a passer each year. Same for JJ McCarthy for Michigan. Both of those guys are probably similar to a Jalen Hurts type and may be more developmental 2nd round picks, but if either take a 2nd big leap, all bets are off.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
If we get a top 2 pick I would go QB if no one wants to move up because we have a QB already. Someone will offer a trade then for sure. If not let the better QB win the job. It will push both QBs and one can always be traded later.

PrimeTime

Knowledge Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, a team picking 4 or later don't NOT trade up because the Bears won't pick a QB. The incentive to trade up is because Detroit or Seattle might take one at 3.
Qb needy teams drafting after the Bears will definitely have interest in the Bears pick because they know the Bears will probably trade the pick to someone drafting a QB

jive

Liked Posts:
If we get a top 2 pick I would go QB if no one wants to move up because we have a QB already. Someone will offer a trade then for sure. If not let the better QB win the job. It will push both QBs and one can always be traded later.
You shouldn't be paying 2 big QB salaries when there are so many other holes on this team.
2 QBs with no line or receivers is not any better.