Some QB tibits from an Athletic article

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Who has the best arm of this QB class? Most say Trey Lance, but there’s concern about his small sample size.

QB Coach 1:
He’s a tough evaluation. His maturity is A+. His football IQ is A+. He’s a team guy; very self-aware. He just needs to play more. He’s a little like Josh Allen coming out of Wyoming, where it could be rocky the first few years but you trust him. Trey needs a year or two. Josh took three. Josh had that amazing arm, it’s like him Mahomes and (Aaron) Rodgers have the biggest arms in the league, but I do think Trey is a lot more refined coming out than Allen was. I think he’ll be fine even if he doesn’t reach his full potential.

QB Coach 2: To me, he has the biggest upside of anyone in this draft. He played one game this year against FCS competition and was 50 percent and missed some throws. If you’re a first-round pick, you don’t miss that throw to a wide-open guy in the flat. He has tight upper body mechanics and some touch issues because he doesn’t separate well; he struggles to change arm angles some. From watching his pro day, I think he’s cleaned up a little bit.

QB Coach 3: Lance is the upside guy. There may be some growing pains, but he has such a good arm and he’s big, athletic and also a tremendous leader and very smart.

What do you make of the criticism of Ohio State’s Justin Fields?

QB Coach 2:
He’s the one guy that for whatever reason people are taking shots at, whether they’re trying to get him pushed down the board, or who knows why; he’s the one that everyone wants to bully up on now. He didn’t play good against Northwestern; he played great against Clemson, and look at his ’19 season, he was phenomenal. He is a first-round talent. He is way more polished than Lance.

When you hear people talking about how well he processes, you don’t see read progressions, where it’s bang-bang-bang. He’s also playing on a different level. You don’t know how much of that they’ve taught him. You think, give me a year with this guy and it’ll all come together because of his natural athleticism and ability. I love the guy, but if he has to play this year, that’s scary.

QB Coach 1: I have him rated fifth (among the quarterbacks). He’s super efficient, very productive. He’s 230 pounds and runs a 4.4, but I’m not sure that he sees the field that well. … He’s better when he’s letting the game come to him. Don’t question his toughness. He played with two cracked ribs (against Clemson) and played like a week later. He’s tough as shit mentally and physically.

Are you on the Mac Jones bandwagon?

QB Coach 1:
I am driving the bandwagon. I noticed something last year after Tua Tagovailoa got hurt and Mac went in and they stopped running RPOs and started calling dropback stuff, I was like, ‘Oh, they trust him.’ But he’s more than just that. I think he is the best thrower of the football by a lot. Zach Wilson is freaky; but he’s not hitting people in stride on time. Mac is processing. He’s accurate. He’s layering it. He has pinpoint accuracy and throws with anticipation. Those people who say all he did was throw to guys who were wide open and threw from a clean pocket, turn on the A&M, Georgia or the Michigan and Auburn games from last year where he got the shit beat out of him. He’s getting hit and he’s getting moved.

People say he’s not athletic, but what are we talking about? Just because he looks bad without a T-shirt doesn’t mean he’s a bad athlete because he has baby fat. I love him. He was substantially better in the interviews than all of the other quarterbacks.

QB Coach 2: In my mind, if I had to win right now, this year, he’s the most advanced quarterback of any of them. I think Trevor’s the best. I’m cosigning on him, but his system adjustment will be much bigger than Mac. Jones is gonna walk in Day One and just have to flip terminology because he’s gonna know pro football. He’s been coached by Sark (Steve Sarkisian). He understands run checks, understands moving protections — not that these others don’t, but he’s on a different level.

The question is, are Mac Jones’ physical tools worthy of being a top-5 pick or even first-round? I don’t know that his physical abilities warrant that, but if you tell me that I have to win now, I think his physicals are good enough. How many guys in the history of football in 12 games against top college competition threw for 4,500 yards, throw 41 touchdowns and only four picks and completed 77 percent in a pro system? Some guys at pro days don’t do 77 percent on air.

Why shouldn’t we be shocked if a sixth QB — Stanford’s Davis Mills, Texas A&M’s Kellen Mond, Florida’s Kyle Trask — is picked in the first round?

QB Coach 1:
Next year just looks really barren. … Right now, Sam Howell? Eh, I don’t know. (Kedon) Slovis? I don’t know. That might go into these teams taking a guy and sitting him because they don’t trust next year. I don’t know.

QB Coach 2 on Davis Mills: He will know pro football when he walks right in the door. He’s a sneaky climber, but he’s only an 11-game starter. My thought is, “Why are you coming out now?” If he put a really good season on tape, he could be a first-rounder in 2022, but I realize Mac Jones only played 15, so how do you ding Davis Mills for that?

QB Coach 1 on Kyle Trask: He’s big and he throws it well, but I don’t think he’s quick enough. He’s really slow-footed and doesn’t really anticipate.

QB Coach 2 on Kellen Mond: If you give him time to develop, I think he can play. I like him. I was impressed with his interview. On film he’s kinda robotic. He needs to be more of an athlete. Jimbo (Fisher) just coached him to death, and he was just trying to be perfect. In warm-ups, he was worried about his mechanics right before the game.

The biggest thing for me is that he started a ton of games; his completion percentage went up; his interceptions went way down; sacks went way down and that was all with his top four receivers being out. That was impressive, and he did it in the hardest division, in the hardest conference.

I like his athleticism. He stands — and delivers — in the pocket maybe as good as anyone in this draft, but he’ll also stand in there and throw into coverage. He has good athleticism in the run game. Now there’s time where they’re covered and there’s escape lanes and you’re like, “Use your tools now!” and he doesn’t.

WR Coach No. 3: You can tell the effect Jimbo had on him in a good way. He’s an intriguing guy. He’s very mature and is way more athletic than you think he is, and he’s a natural leader.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Trey Lance really would be the guy for the Bears. Bury him on the depth chart behind Foles and Dalton this year then make an aggressive play to build a studly offenisve line in front of him for 2021-22. But I'm growing increasingly certain that he is destined to the 49ers at third overall. A guy with his intangibles, work ethic, leadership that's already established and then layer on the elite athleticism and cannon arm? Its the perfect blank slate for Kyle Shanahan to build on.

JurisFrog

Liked Posts:
Really an interesting article.

I think Mac is probably the most convincing on tape, and the QB coach makes a great point that many qb's don't throw 77% against air. Mac is incredibly accurate and will be a good NFL player, so long as he has a good OL in front of him. He does not have good escapability. I also believe he will need to develop physically to handle the toughness of the NFL game. He really wasn't touched with that great Alabama line in front of him.

Lance is not proven. Total gamble for a first round pick, IMO.

I also think that Fields will be a disappointment for whoever picks him up.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
One thing from that article is that every coach has Lawrence as the clear #1.

Past that I was surprised how much they like Jones. They all like him a lot. Also pretty positive on Mond.

sphinxnole

Liked Posts:
I’m really warming up to Mond.
Nagy may be the perfect next coach for Mond After Jimbo.
Nagy didn't want to coach Mitch so maybe Mond gets to develop slowly
without Jimbo Over Coaching him..

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
One thing from that article is that every coach has Lawrence as the clear #1.

Past that I was surprised how much they like Jones. They all like him a lot. Also pretty positive on Mond.

I'm not..... the guy is accurate is all hell which is the #1 trait for a QB And he reads defenses great too..... which is the #2 trait for a QB. Would love it if the Bears drafted him.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
I’m really warming up to Mond.
Nagy may be the perfect next coach for Mond After Jimbo.
Nagy didn't want to coach Mitch so maybe Mond gets to develop slowly
without Jimbo Over Coaching him..

Yeah, the more I watch Mond the more he grows on me. One of the things that stands out is that while other quarterbacks were constantly throwing to wide open receivers, his receivers were not creating separation consistently. And it's not a decision making thing either. I am impressed with his pocket poise and ability to read defenses. He looked very comfortable in the pocket even with pressure.

His accuracy is inconsistent, that would be my biggest criticism. He'll throw an incredible pass into a tight window and then throw it too the feet of an open receiver. Also can't discount experience. I've never seen the NFL just disregard starting experience the way they seemingly are this year. I know Covid is a big part of it, but even still, you've got guys with 17 starts and they just kind of toss it aside.

History is not kind to inexperienced college quarterbacks.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I just hope bears take a swing at someone

and I hope they don't over think the Trubiski bust.

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Also teams know that QB position is barren next year. Better to take a QB this year whether in 1st or 2nd round than next year where maybe 1 or 2 QBs will have a 1st round grade.

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I think Mac is probably the most convincing on tape, and the QB coach makes a great point that many qb's don't throw 77% against air. Mac is incredibly accurate and will be a good NFL player, so long as he has a good OL in front of him. He does not have good escapability. I also believe he will need to develop physically to handle the toughness of the NFL game. He really wasn't touched with that great Alabama line in front of him.

Those people who say all he did was throw to guys who were wide open and threw from a clean pocket, turn on the A&M, Georgia or the Michigan and Auburn games from last year where he got the shit beat out of him. He’s getting hit and he’s getting moved.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
way I see it

if bears don't take a qb, they will be shit, but not bad enough for a top 5 pick

if bears do trade the farm for a qb and he busts, they will be shit. but not any more shit than if they didn't swing

If there is a guy they like, I think they have to try. Cause first round picks dont mean shit without a QB

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I found this one very surprising:

Scout No. 1 on Oregon OL Penei Sewell: I think (Giants No. 4 overall pick in 2020) Andrew Thomas was better; Jedrick Wills (No. 10 to the Browns in 2020) was too. Sewell does not have great length. He can play everywhere but center and might be able to do that too. I think he can be an elite guard, not a great tackle.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It also seems as though “defensive coach 2” is a member of the Bears staff. I say this because he mentioned Roquan Smith by his first name alone. He also referenced Tarik Cohen and Danny Trevathan in some of his takes...

Why is Penn State’s Micah Parsons the No. 1 linebacker?

Defensive Coach No. 2: I think his upside is to be the best linebacker in the league. He’s special. He has some immaturity, but if he goes to a place that’s on him every day, he can be great. He needs a coach on his ass. I do think he’s a good kid and wants to be a great player. He can do everything at that size; he’s way bigger than Devin White. He’s huge. This guy is 15 pounds bigger than Roquan (Smith). He’s built more like Bobby Wagner. He’s so explosive.

With that in mind, keep an eye out for Pete Werner as a possible mid round pick to replace Trevathan...

MIZZOU LINEBACKER NICK BOLTON

Defensive Coach No. 2: Special kid. Loved him in the interview. He reminds me of Danny Trevathan or Eric Kendricks. He’s a good solid player with a good nose for the ball and excellent football intangibles. He’s an alpha dog. He’ll get everybody lined up. There’s two or three linebackers in this draft that I think have off-the-charts football character: Bolton, (Ohio State’s) Pete Werner and (Georgia’s) Monty Rice.

Werner doesn’t have great thump, but he’s as safe a pick as you can get. He’s good at everything, not great at anything. He will have a long career. He has an unbelievable football IQ.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
I found this one very surprising:

Scout No. 1 on Oregon OL Penei Sewell: I think (Giants No. 4 overall pick in 2020) Andrew Thomas was better; Jedrick Wills (No. 10 to the Browns in 2020) was too. Sewell does not have great length. He can play everywhere but center and might be able to do that too. I think he can be an elite guard, not a great tackle.
I do wonder if he's in for a fall. There's been chatter here and there about how the fans and media might be very out of touch with the real value of many players in this draft, owing to all the chaos and uncertainty of the past year. Still, Quenton Nelson went sixth overall and I would figure Penei Sewell is that caliber of a guard prospect.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
I do wonder if he's in for a fall. There's been chatter here and there about how the fans and media might be very out of touch with the real value of many players in this draft, owing to all the chaos and uncertainty of the past year. Still, Quenton Nelson went sixth overall and I would figure Penei Sewell is that caliber of a guard prospect.

Sewell is nowhere close to Nelson as a guard prospect. But then, very few are. That said Sewell is a legit left tackle prospect. I think he's being a tad over rated but he's definitely a very good prospect and well worth a top 10 pick.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Sewell is nowhere close to Nelson as a guard prospect. But then, very few are. That said Sewell is a legit left tackle prospect. I think he's being a tad over rated but he's definitely a very good prospect and well worth a top 10 pick.
I think we might see him drop below the Rashan Slater, Christian Darrisaw and maybe even Sam Cosmi. The premium on left tackles is very high, remember how Andrew Thomas went above three tackles who all were better than him simply because he was the most suited for left tackle?

Or who knows, Cincinnati could be enamored with him and we just don't know it yet. I am so excited for the uncertainty of this draft that starts with third overall and only gets crazier from there.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Cosmi was listed as the most overrated OT in that or a similar Athletic article (according to scouts).

The consensus had Sewell as a little above average relative to the first tackle taken each year over the last 15 years.

Sewell is going to go very high.

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, the more I watch Mond the more he grows on me. One of the things that stands out is that while other quarterbacks were constantly throwing to wide open receivers, his receivers were not creating separation consistently. And it's not a decision making thing either. I am impressed with his pocket poise and ability to read defenses. He looked very comfortable in the pocket even with pressure.

His accuracy is inconsistent, that would be my biggest criticism. He'll throw an incredible pass into a tight window and then throw it too the feet of an open receiver. Also can't discount experience. I've never seen the NFL just disregard starting experience the way they seemingly are this year. I know Covid is a big part of it, but even still, you've got guys with 17 starts and they just kind of toss it aside.

History is not kind to inexperienced college quarterbacks.
I like Mond as a plan B also. Love the experience and leadership. As you pointed out he has some inconsistencies to his game so a year of sitting would benefit him. But his stats say he got better every year while losing some of his top targets last year.

If I were Pace I’d be all in on trading up for Fields. If that didn’t work out I’d try and trade back to 28-32 and take the best OL on the board and use the gained capitol to try and jump teams who didn’t get their QB in the 1st end get Mond. I don’t think he’ll make to 52.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
What I like to hear about Lance is that there seems to be a consensus that he's smart and appears to be practically so. Leader, worker etc. makes a guy with his skill set desirable. Sounds very low floor even if he doesn't get everything fully cleaned up.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Then I hope to be disappointed next week.