Soriano Trading Partners

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I'd imagine any team who struggles offensively would consider Soriano. Last year was hands down his best since 2008. I'm really glad he was able to restore some of his value. I could see a team like Seattle being interested, considering how anemic their offense is. They have some decent prospects and I'm sure if the Cubs were willing to eat more than half his salary, they could net an interesting package in return. I'd be interested to see if the Cubs would look for help who could step in immediately (young prospects like Carter Capps) or a more long-term project like corner infielders Brad Miller or Stefan Romero.

Total pipe dream -- but if we were able to land Mike Zunino, I would seriously pay Soriano's entire salary.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd imagine any team who struggles offensively would consider Soriano. Last year was hands down his best since 2008. I'm really glad he was able to restore some of his value. I could see a team like Seattle being interested, considering how anemic their offense is. They have some decent prospects and I'm sure if the Cubs were willing to eat more than half his salary, they could net an interesting package in return. I'd be interested to see if the Cubs would look for help who could step in immediately (young prospects like Carter Capps) or a more long-term project like corner infielders Brad Miller or Stefan Romero.

Total pipe dream -- but if we were able to land Mike Zunino, I would seriously pay Soriano's entire salary.

Not even going to comment on the Zunino aspect of this, but the problem is Soriano has a NTC. He has said he doesn't want to play on the West Coast, and reportedly nixed a deal to the Giants due to weather. I am pretty sure that Seattle would not be on his list of places to go.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Not even going to comment on the Zunino aspect of this, but the problem is Soriano has a NTC. He has said he doesn't want to play on the West Coast, and reportedly nixed a deal to the Giants due to weather. I am pretty sure that Seattle would not be on his list of places to go.

Which is why I prefaced the Zunino statement with "Pipe dream" :lol:

But yeah, the NTC will make things more difficult. Still, I assume that only AL squads would consider his services due. Maybe he'd want another rendezvous with the Yankees or Rangers? Those teams are always looking to add a quality platoon bat or bench player. And it's not like either one of them is afraid to spend money.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
he has value. not the same 2008 player but if they are picking up the tab for a ehh spec i dont know why more teams wouldnt jump all over it especially an AL team that can DH him.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Which is why I prefaced the Zunino statement with "Pipe dream" :lol:

But yeah, the NTC will make things more difficult. Still, I assume that only AL squads would consider his services due. Maybe he'd want another rendezvous with the Yankees or Rangers? Those teams are always looking to add a quality platoon bat or bench player. And it's not like either one of them is afraid to spend money.
Well the Yankees would be an interesting fit and I am sure Sori would be willing to go there. I don't know how cash being sent there would effect the luxury tax implications since they are trying to get under the tax threshold next season.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
he has value. not the same 2008 player but if they are picking up the tab for a ehh spec i dont know why more teams wouldnt jump all over it especially an AL team that can DH him.

This goes to any Sox fan, but Gavin Floyd for Soriano with the Cubs paying the difference in salary?

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
So Floyd has a year and $9.5MM left :thinking: Soriano = two years plus something like $36MM left. That seems kind of fair on paper if it's Soriano + $26MM for Floyd. Maybe the Cubs would have to send a little bit more, but a pitcher switching to the lesser league could bring the Cubs some value at the expense of an offense that won't score many runs anyway.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This goes to any Sox fan, but Gavin Floyd for Soriano with the Cubs paying the difference in salary?

I would take it. Floyd in the NL would probably be the best for him as for soriano in the AL being better for him. If thats the make believe fan deal I as a sox fan would jump all over it. For some reason though floyd is in demand....dunno why...but he is.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
I would take it. Floyd in the NL would probably be the best for him as for soriano in the AL being better for him. If thats the make believe fan deal I as a sox fan would jump all over it. For some reason though floyd is in demand....dunno why...but he is.

There is some value in taking the mound 30 times a year on a consistent basis. He pitches when it's his turn and teams do value that.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
There is some value in taking the mound 30 times a year on a consistent basis. He pitches when it's his turn and teams do value that.

He has only hit 200 innings once. The value isnt as much as people overrate when you cant pitch well in those 200 innings. His whip is disgusting, he gives up the long ball and seems to zone out a lot of the time.