Source: Fitzgerald Available for right price

thedude33

Liked Posts:
Why not send them a 5th and a nice egg salad?

V. Jackson and possibly S. Rice should be available, and they wouldn't require pics.

TopekaRoy

The Wizard of OZ
Donator
Liked Posts:
...with Fitz, I guarantee people wouldn't stack the box to blitz nearly as much and our receivers would have more success.
That's a good point. (At least I think it is.) Wouldn't having a receiver like Fitz help out the offensive line to begin with? Then you still need to upgrade the O-line, but maybe not as much as you would with just the weapons we have now.

ZAN

Liked Posts:
Here's what I do....I wait until the combine is up. If all signs point to Gabe Carimi being gone (he'll be the third OT off the board) by the middle of the first round, we go ahead and trade the 1st and 3rd to Arizona to get Fitzgerald. After Carimi, the odds of getting a tackle that fits in AND makes immediate impact is not very high.

I think a 1st AND 2nd is way too high to give up for Fitzgerald. 1st and 3rd sounds very intruiging, especially if we could get a decent veteran tackle to plug in...I mean is signing a Donald Penn any better/worse than what we'd reach for (Costanzo or Solder, maybe Tyron Smith, assuming Carimi is off the board) with a first round pick?...He's certainly better than what we'd get in the 2nd...

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Here's what I do....I wait until the combine is up. If all signs point to Gabe Carimi being gone (he'll be the third OT off the board) by the middle of the first round, we go ahead and trade the 1st and 3rd to Arizona to get Fitzgerald. After Carimi, the odds of getting a tackle that fits in AND makes immediate impact is not very high.

I think a 1st AND 2nd is way too high to give up for Fitzgerald. 1st and 3rd sounds very intruiging, especially if we could get a decent veteran tackle to plug in...I mean is signing a Donald Penn any better/worse than what we'd reach for (Costanzo or Solder, maybe Tyron Smith, assuming Carimi is off the board) with a first round pick?...He's certainly better than what we'd get in the 2nd...

A lot of thought but Gabe Carimi doesn't even fill the teams needs at all. Carimi is most likely a RT in the NFL and only that. Tackle isn't the need the inside is, there's very little reason to believe the team will keep Chris Williams at LG and not have him going full blown in the off-season at tackle and competing to earn it.

Giving a 1st and 3rd isn't going to be that good of value to Arizona. It sounds decent saying that, but the 30th pick is far different from a mid round 1st round pick in value. It would be a huge mistake for Arizona to do that trade.

ZAN

Liked Posts:
I agree with you about the value of Chicago's 1st and 3rd to Arizona...but

Chris Williams performed admirable at LG. Tackle is by far our weakest link. Webb and Omiyale are both terrible; and on their best days, average. Kruetz has maybe 1-2 years left, so we'll address center next draft, most likely...I think we should try to draft Carimi...but if it's apparent that he won't be around at 29, then we try to see what we can get for our first OR take the best skill player left at 29, because taking a OL for the sake of taking him if a solid WR is available (Senior class should be there, considering there are a ton of Junior WRs overshadowing them)

Carimi is an ox. Has a great anchor, long arms. He's everything you want in a tackle. I agree he's better suited as a RT, than a LT....but he's definitely capable of playing on either side.

Last edited:

WearShades

Liked Posts:
A lot of thought but Gabe Carimi doesn't even fill the teams needs at all. Carimi is most likely a RT in the NFL and only that. Tackle isn't the need the inside is, there's very little reason to believe the team will keep Chris Williams at LG and not have him going full blown in the off-season at tackle and competing to earn it.

Giving a 1st and 3rd isn't going to be that good of value to Arizona. It sounds decent saying that, but the 30th pick is far different from a mid round 1st round pick in value. It would be a huge mistake for Arizona to do that trade.

Based on what they've been saying about the senior bowl (highly recommend NFP for those interested) Carimi should be able to be either a left or right tackle at the next level.

And for what it's worth, he'll probably be available in the late 20s.

Dmartin7652

Liked Posts:
Right price

A 1st and a 3rd which based on the way we draft I'd give it up. WR is not the biggest need, Good offensive line = good Jay Cutler which = good WR which = good RB and we have aging veterans who will need to be replace, giving up the draft picks will hurt the future of the team. Expect a trade out of the first round for more draft picks.

Cover3

wat
Liked Posts:
Why not send them a 5th and a nice egg salad?

V. Jackson and possibly S. Rice should be available, and they wouldn't require pics.

would be great of they could grab Rice, he's still young and HE fights for the ball too..

fade

Liked Posts:
would be great of they could grab Rice, he's still young and HE fights for the ball too..

Rice has been, so far at least, a 1 year wonder, though. I think he definitely has the talent, but I'm not quite so sure if I want to pay top dollar for someone who has had 1 good season with 1 of the best QBs of all time.

If he can be had for a good price, then go for it.

Cover3

wat
Liked Posts:
Rice has been, so far at least, a 1 year wonder, though. I think he definitely has the talent, but I'm not quite so sure if I want to pay top dollar for someone who has had 1 good season with 1 of the best QBs of all time.

yea, but the success he had with a favre-type QB I think he'd be so helpful for Cutler on these deep throws he'll go get those balls in traffic far more often than Knox who's very good too, but definitely not that kind of receiver, but you have a point, I will wait to see what kind of $ is gonna be involved.

WearShades

Liked Posts:

While having Favre throwing him passes sure helped, I wouldn't say he's a one year wonder. He was hurt for most of this year but when he came back and got back in the flow he looked even better than before. During 2009, his best season, Rice had a 15.8 yards per catch. That's a very, very good rate. Last year? 16.5. Phenomenal. I don't think you have to worry about him having injury issues stemming from last year, and he's only 25 at the moment. Frankly, I doubt he ends up being available to sign, but if Rice was available the Bears would be smart to go after him. Contracts aside, the difference between Rice and Fitzgerald is not a first and second round pick as several have said they would trade for Fitzgerald. Then when you factor in the fact that his contract won't be as massive as Fitzgerald's and it's no contest.

Captain Iago

Giver of Occular Proof
Donator
Liked Posts:
Rice is hyper-menstrual. Guy has more migraines than any broad I've ever known.

:D

Chi66

Liked Posts:
My ideal off-season right now has us picking up Rice in the FA and Williams works hard and fits into his LT role we drafted him for. Then we use our first round pick (that pick we've missed recently) and draft Mike Pouncey (if available) to help shore up our interior line. If he's not available I hope they go after someone who can make an impact now.