Sources: Expect Cubs to spend next winter

Status
Not open for further replies.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
http://www.csnchicago.com/blog/kapman/sources-expect-cubs-spend-next-winter

David Kaplan said:
With the Cubs not having many large, long-term contracts left on their books, and with Alfonso Soriano entering the final year of his eight-year, $136 million dollar deal in 2014, next winter might be the time for Theo Epstein and Jed Hoyer to add more impact players in free agency as they enter Year Three of their regime. Several major league sources, including an American League front-office executive told me tonight that they fully expect the Cubs to be involved with some of the top free agents at the conclusion of this season, with Boston Red Sox center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury possibly at the top of their wish list.

In addition, the 2015 free agent class is not loaded with star quality players, leading to industry speculation that Epstein and Hoyer could look to add a couple of impact players this coming offseason, in addition to locking up their own young core players such as Jeff Samardzija, after spending $41 million \to sign first baseman Anthony Rizzo to a seven-year deal that potentially could be worth $73 million over nine years if all of the options are exercised and the escalators in the deal are reached.

Ellsbury, who was drafted by Epstein and Co. in 2005 and has had a solid career--despite dealing with some injury problems--is expected to be the top position player available this coming offseason after Robinson Cano, who most observers expect to stay in New York. Ellsbury's best year in a Red Sox uniform was in 2011, when he batted .321 and hit 32 home runs to go along with 105 RBI's. In 2012 he appeared in just 74 games, missing significant time with a shoulder injury, and hit just .271 with four home runs. This season Ellsbury is batting .259 with one homer and 13 RBI's, but is leading the American League in stolen bases and is still considered an elite defensive player who also has a Gold Glove on his resume.

Ellsbury has tremendous speed with a 70-steal season and a 50-steal season in his career, and his all-out approach has made him a fan favorite in Boston. However, his injury history and his diminished power has some scouts believing that his agent, Scott Boras will ask for a contract far above his worth and that will limit his suitors tremendously. Obviously, Boras has a history of driving a hard bargain and with the Cubs not ready to contend yet, the question must be asked if Epstein should offer his former star a long term, big money deal or wait another season until his remade organization is closer to contending in the National League Central division.

Here are the other top free agents who should command tremendous attention in the market next winter:

Robinson Cano: 2B, New York Yankees
Shin-Soo Choo: OF, Cincinnati Reds
Curtis Granderson: OF, New York Yankees
Hunter Pence: OF, San Francisco Giants
Josh Johnson: SP, Toronto Blue Jays
Tim Lincecum: SP, San Francisco Giants
Ricky Nolasco: SP, Miami Marlins

MLB Trade Rumors has a complete list of the 2013-14 free agents:

If indeed the Cubs are ready to spend next winter it will be because they have approval on their Wrigley Field renovation plan and a solid idea of their TV contract dollars on the 70+ games that are currently contracted to WGN Television. Those increased dollars should allow them to start to field a more competitive team as soon as next season. At the conclusion of the 2013 season the Cubs payroll commitments will total $55.2 million dollars not including Rizzo's new deal and at the end of 2014 their payroll commitments will total just $24.2 million dollars plus Rizzo. Next winter the Cubs will enter off season with only these key players under contract:

Alfonso Soriano: $19 million
Edwin Jackson: $13 million
Starlin Castro: $5.85
Anthony Rizzo: Agreed to new deal for a minimum of $41 million dollars
Carlos Villaneueva: $5 million
Kyuji Fujikawa: $4.5 million
David DeJesus: (team option at 6.5 million or a 1.5 million buyout)
Jeff Samardzija: Arbitration-eligible
Scott Hairston: $2.5 million
Nate Schierholtz: Arbitration-eligible
Jorge Soler: $2.667 million
James Russell: Arbitration-eligible
Luis Valbuena: Arbitration-eligible
Darwin Barney: Arbitration-eligible
Travis Wood: Arbitration-eligible
Welington Castillo: Arbitration-eligible

With the Cubs locking up their core players in Castro and Rizzo--and expected to lock up Jeff Samardzija in the near future--things are lining up for the Epstein/Hoyer-led front office to add a handful of additional core pieces over the next 12-18 months, including the No. 2 pick in the upcoming amateur draft, next offseason's shopping season and the 2014 MLB draft, when it appears the Cubs will hold another high pick. Add it all up and the Cubs could be poised to take a major step in their building plan if they are prepared to spend significant dollars next winter.

Last edited by a moderator:

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Been talking about this on another site. The Cubs are in position, but I do not want Ellsbury. He is living off of one great season. He turns 30 in September and has been injured a good bit. The Cubs have a lot of OF depth in their minors. I would rather go after another short term free agent like a Choo over him. Im all for spending, but Ellsbury is one I do not want.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
what i expect to see next opening day is a roster with more pieces of the core players added to it..

right now they have castro and rizzo locked up.. pitching aside, i would like and expect to see at least 2 more position players added and locked up at the start of 2014.

castillo is a wait and see right now.. i want to see how he ends up after a full season..

i like barney and the GG is nice, but i want a 2bmen who can hit a little bit..

they need a 3Bmen, and all 3 OF positions

this draft, trade deadline, and off season has to be productive for the 2014 roster

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Been talking about this on another site. The Cubs are in position, but I do not want Ellsbury. He is living off of one great season. He turns 30 in September and has been injured a good bit. The Cubs have a lot of OF depth in their minors. I would rather go after another short term free agent like a Choo over him. Im all for spending, but Ellsbury is one I do not want.
I doubt Cano makes it to the market, but if he does he is the only guy worth going all in on in the market next season.

chibears55

Liked Posts:

yea, ive seen a lot of fans against this.. mostly because he is injury prone.. i think his name comes up only because of the epstein ties, i personally would rather see brett jackson , jae-hoon ha, or matt szczur get an opportunity in CF before spending money on ellsbury..

Choo would be perfect but unless a trade is made i believe he not available til after 2014, so maybe they do go with one of those 3 for 2013 and then if they dont pan out they go hard after choo.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I doubt Cano makes it to the market, but if he does he is the only guy worth going all in on in the market next season.

wow .. cant even imagine how much he going to be looking for.. my first guess would be 10 yrs, and easily 25-30 per, he may be the first 300 MIl dollar player..

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
wow .. cant even imagine how much he going to be looking for.. my first guess would be 10 yrs, and easily 25-30 per, he may be the first 300 MIl dollar player..

His contract is going to be insane, but his production would be elite at either 2B or 3B.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
I don't expect anything.

This team needs both Cano and Ellsbury.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Pretty weak list unfortunately.

Cano is a no brainer if available.

The only other I would be interested in would be Granderson.

And under no circumstances would I want to be forced to watch Hunter Pence throw for multiple seasons.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't expect anything.

This team needs both Cano and Ellsbury.

I don't have any expectations for Cano or Ellsbury, but if the Cubs signed either would that not satisfy your definition of "trying"?

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Carlos Beltran for RF for a couple seasons wouldn't be bad either.

Que the talk about how it is dumb to spend money before the team is ready to compete in 3, 2, 1,.........................

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Pretty weak list unfortunately.

it is pretty weak / short.. they better hope some of these prospects pan out or hope they can pull off some crazy trades..

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
I don't have any expectations for Cano or Ellsbury, but if the Cubs signed either would that not satisfy your definition of "trying"?

dabs.

If they sign Cano, Yes. Then I believe they are on the right track and attempting to field a much better team. If they were to sign just Ellsbury, then no, that wouldn't meet my definition of trying.

I don't find it to be unrealistic for them to sign both Ellsbury and Cano. They can afford to do so. This team has no superstars on it and needs one to build around, if they want to win in the near future.

I would highly doubt that Cano would be sought after by the cheap bastards at Command Central.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
dabs.

If they sign Cano, Yes. Then I believe they are on the right track and attempting to field a much better team. If they were to sign just Ellsbury, then no, that wouldn't meet my definition of trying.

I don't find it to be unrealistic for them to sign both Ellsbury and Cano. They can afford to do so. This team has no superstars on it and needs one to build around, if they want to win in the near future.

I would highly doubt that Cano would be sought after by the cheap bastards at Command Central.
Thanks I just want to understand your position on the matter at this point in time. I think Ellsbury is likely to be way beyond his true value in a market, and if I overspend then Cano is the guy I want to do it on. That said I don't expect either to end up in Chicago next season.

patg006

Liked Posts:
What I think happens:

I want Mark Appel, I believe Jedstein picks Kris Bryant to my dissatisfaction......to plan on him as the 3B of the future

Barney gets dealt, Valbuena, if he still can hit in July may be in the long term plan at 2B, but plays 3B while Logan Watkins mans 2B.

Hunter Pence or Cory Hart signed to play RF and bat 4th

Josh Johnson gets signed. David Price deal will be on the table but I believe Jedstein balks because itll be too expensive for them. Garza walks for a draft pick.

Travis Wood and Shark get deals to avoid arbitration.

Kevin Gregg gets resigned and another bullpen arm as well.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
Thanks I just want to understand your position on the matter at this point in time. I think Ellsbury is likely to be way beyond his true value in a market, and if I overspend then Cano is the guy I want to do it on. That said I don't expect either to end up in Chicago next season.

Totally agree with you dabs.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ellsbury is going to want a 5 year deal. No way do I want the Cubs to even entice that. Im all for Cano, but I doubt the Yankees let him leave. I dont think Choo is restricted or anything. I think he is FA in the offseason and I would not mind him because I think he can be had for 3 years. None of the pitchers do anything for me. Thats why I would like to lock up Shark and extend Garza. Keep a solid rotation and then we can have Appel or Gray waiting in the wings to join the team if they are ready to compete. Shark, Garza, Jackson, Appel/Gray, then Wood or whoever they get to be a 5th starter. That rotation would be pretty strong. The Bullpen needs a complete over haul, but that is doable in an off season.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ellsbury is going to want a 5 year deal. No way do I want the Cubs to even entice that. Im all for Cano, but I doubt the Yankees let him leave. I dont think Choo is restricted or anything. I think he is FA in the offseason and I would not mind him because I think he can be had for 3 years. None of the pitchers do anything for me. Thats why I would like to lock up Shark and extend Garza. Keep a solid rotation and then we can have Appel or Gray waiting in the wings to join the team if they are ready to compete. Shark, Garza, Jackson, Appel/Gray, then Wood or whoever they get to be a 5th starter. That rotation would be pretty strong. The Bullpen needs a complete over haul, but that is doable in an off season.
I agree that I think the Cubs have the majority of a competent pitching staff right now. Samardzija-Garza-EJax-Wood is a decent group that would be pretty impressive with a true number one to slot every down a peg. I am kind of optimistic that a Garza extension might happen after all.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I dont think Choo is restricted or anything. I think he is FA in the offseason and I would not mind him because I think he can be had for 3 years.

Choo will be 3rd-Year Arb Eligible after this season, Earliest Free Agent: 2014 if im reading it right..

I want Mark Appel, I believe Jedstein picks Kris Bryant to my dissatisfaction.

im guessing its either or, depending on what the astros do.. of course the astros can throw a curve and draft som1 else..
but i think the cubs go with the arm if he available first or the big bat if appel gets taken..

Status
Not open for further replies.