Sources: Expect Cubs to spend next winter

Status
Not open for further replies.

justaChifan

Liked Posts:
C'mon, It's the Cubs, let's think small and be satisfied with the snails pace of going about it, and get this thing done. Been there done that.

justaChifan

Liked Posts:
Honest question to all....... Do you think the Cubs want to be buyers or sellers at the break?

Willrust

Liked Posts:
^This

Funny how some fans dont want to acknowledge the obvious......

You forgot the Cards, but I dont think you wanna add insult to a narrow-minded propaganda slurper......

The Rays, Royals and Pirates have historically shown little interest in signing multiple core players to long term deals.

Willrust

Liked Posts:
Honest question to all....... Do you think the Cubs want to be buyers or sellers at the break?

Depends on what is available. If the Rays put Price on the market, the Marlins put Stanton on the market or San Diego puts Headley on the market, the Cubs will be buyers or at least make an effort to trade for any of those 3. If none of those are put out there and the list is nothing but 30+ year olds with only 1/2 a year to 1 & 1/2 years of control, then they will be sellers.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I see them selling Feldman and Dejesus. They will fail selling Sori and Marmol. Garza holding my breath for an extenion. Not sure which direction that one goes.

justaChifan

Liked Posts:
The way Epstein has talked about flipping,flipping,flipping the roster.........I think he may be overestimating fans patience

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
The Rays, Royals and Pirates have historically shown little interest in signing multiple core players to long term deals.

The Royals signed Escobar to a 4 years extension with another 2 team option years that is worth between $10.5M to $21.75M

They also signed Perez to a 5 year deal with another 3 team option years that is worth between $7M and $19.75M

They signed Alex Gordon to a 4 year $37.5M contract extension.

They signed Sweeney to a 5 year extension in the early 2000's worth $55M.

2009 they signed Zack Greinke to a 4 year $38M extension.

Accurate as ever.

All you remember is Damon, Beltran and Dye and forget the rest of the story.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
I wouldn't be interested in Headley till he proves last year wasn't a one year wonder.

patg006

Liked Posts:

Royals: Wade Davis (from deal with Rays,) Alex Gordon, Billy Butler, Alcides Escobar, will make large attempt at retaining James Shields

Pirates: McCutcheon, Jose Tabata, openly discussing with Neil Walker, McDonald, Garrett Jones, other notable players havent hit

Rays: Committed to Longoria, will make attempt at Price (though not likely,) Matt Moore, Ben Zobrist, talked with Crawford before the ridiculous Boston offer, Gave Carlos Pena a deal after 2007 season.

Theres a difference between showing little interest in trying to sign multiple core players and being completely outbid because they're small market teams, will.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I wouldn't be interested in Headley till he proves last year wasn't a one year wonder.

Well after coming off injury .902 OPS so far. GG 3B. League lacks in quality 3B depth. Cubs have no sure prospects up coming. Right now Valbuna looks better then any of them. It would be worth it.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Well after coming off injury .902 OPS so far.

100 PA is a long ways from duplicating last year in which he nearly doubled the amount of home runs from the previous four seasons.

Willrust

Liked Posts:
Here is a list of potential free agents this offseason per cots/baseball prospectus:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/league-info/potential-free-agents-for-2014/

Possible holes for the Cubs to fill:
2B - Robinson Cano - Likely will resign with NY. Based upon age, 31, don't see an 8-10 year deal. However, a 6-7 year deal at about 200M could be the number.
3B - Jhonny Peralta*** - Is this the decent 3B stopgap the Cubs need until Lake/Baez/Villanueva are ready?
OF - Corey Hart*** - Getting him away from the Brewers would be a nice slap in the face to those ******* up North.
SP - Colby Lewis
SP - Phil Hughes
RP - Grant Balfour
RP - Joaquin Benoit
RP - Joe Smith
RP - Eric O’Flaherty
RP - Nick Masset
RP - Jesse Crain

Colby Lewis is another Maholm/Feldman/Villanueva type signing for turnaround. The guy has good peripherals over the past few years. Is coming back from injury, so could be inexpensive.

Phil Hughes could be another one of those pitchers that suddenly gets better upon a move away from the AL East.

Any of those RP would be a nice fit in the Cubs bullpen. Smith, O'Fleherty, Masset & Crain may be best options due to age.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
100 PA is a long ways from duplicating last year in which he nearly doubled the amount of home runs from the previous four seasons.

Better option?

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pretty weak list unfortunately.

Cano is a no brainer if available.

The only other I would be interested in would be Granderson.

And under no circumstances would I want to be forced to watch Hunter Pence throw for multiple seasons.
Cano is a no brainer but damn imagine what he is gonna get. Bring in Granderson or Ellsbury and I'd be happy obviously incentives and lower years for Ellsbury.
And I live in PA I got to see Pence a few times, always got a laugh watching that dude try to play.

Carlos Beltran for RF for a couple seasons wouldn't be bad either.

Que the talk about how it is dumb to spend money before the team is ready to compete in 3, 2, 1,.........................
Beltran isn't on our radar more then likely, towards the tail end of his career and probably reups with the red birds.

Judging by the source, I'd say the Cubs won't spend.
Shut up Fisch.

It is bad enough having to watch the Cubs lose 100 games.

The only thing worse would be having to watch a team lose 100 games with a RF who throws like a girl.

I swear to god if the Cubs sign Hunter Pence, I am kicking someone square in the balls.

I vote Fisch. Don't want any part of him. Has to be the most herky jerky Special person fundamentals I've ever seen. Who taught him baseball so I can falcon punch them in the dick.

If Cano somehow hits market would love for Cubs to overpay for him. Im also not fan of Ellsbury. He had 1 good year in the MLB. Hurt way to much. OF i really like to see in Cubs uni next year is Choo. If they somehow got Choo and Cano this offseason would have to think that makes them contenders with couple of bullpen arms that work out. Bullpen is the hardest thing to build. RP are yearly base type of players.

Stop. Cano and Choo are nowhere near enough to get us into the contenders role. Lets be real here.

chibears55

Liked Posts:

the more i think about it, i think if astros grab appel they grab kris bryant ahead of gray and manaea..
too big of a bat to pass up at a position of need if available.. also like that he only struck out 35 times in 198 AB with 56 BBs for a power hitter

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wouldn't mind getting Headley, however, think the asking price is gonna be to rich to get so far a one hit wonder.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Cano is a no brainer but damn imagine what he is gonna get. Bring in Granderson or Ellsbury and I'd be happy obviously incentives and lower years for Ellsbury.
And I live in PA I got to see Pence a few times, always got a laugh watching that dude try to play.

Beltran isn't on our radar more then likely, towards the tail end of his career and probably reups with the red birds.

Shut up Fisch.

I vote Fisch. Don't want any part of him. Has to be the most herky jerky Special person fundamentals I've ever seen. Who taught him baseball so I can falcon punch them in the dick.

Stop. Cano and Choo are nowhere near enough to get us into the contenders role. Lets be real here.

Why?

Kaplan always throws shit against the wall, hoping it sticks :shrug:

Willrust

Liked Posts:
The Royals signed Escobar to a 4 years extension with another 2 team option years that is worth between $10.5M to $21.75M

They also signed Perez to a 5 year deal with another 3 team option years that is worth between $7M and $19.75M

They signed Alex Gordon to a 4 year $37.5M contract extension.

They signed Sweeney to a 5 year extension in the early 2000's worth $55M.

2009 they signed Zack Greinke to a 4 year $38M extension.

Accurate as ever.

All you remember is Damon, Beltran and Dye and forget the rest of the story.

In your blind fit to post something contradictory to something I posted, you failed to pay attention, so I will repeat: The Royals have historically shown little interest at signing MULTIPE CORE PLAYERS TO LONG TERM DEALS. A 4 year deal that covers 3 arbitration years and maybe 1 free agent year? Not really a long term deal. I will give you Sweeney and Perez. However, the Royals likely only signed Sweeney to an extension to save face after trading away Damon & Dye within recent years. What did they do with Zach Greinke not long after signing him to that extension? Is Alcides Escobar really a "core" player? He is a solid defensive SS (perhaps Gold Glove level), but based upon your own posts on Darwin Barney are you going to go against your defense alone not being that valuable theory? Don't want to be a hypocrite, do you?

Status
Not open for further replies.