Sources: Expect Cubs to spend next winter

Status
Not open for further replies.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Or does this information go against that agenda thingy?

Whoops

Pat you know you are wasting your time.

Will just changes his argument when he is proved wrong.

It is his standard operating procedure.

He was shown how wrong he was about those teams resigning their own prospects so he is now changing it to FA.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
AA Matt Szczur: .291/.366/.381 134 AB 15 BB to 20 SO. 6 of his 39 hits for extra bases. 13 SB with 2 CS.
So single/walk with solid speed. I can see that one.

I would in this scenerio hit Watkins #2 also.

AAA Logan Watkins .237/.384/.407 28 BB 35 SO 4 SB with 5 CS. Most he has had was 28 in 2012. Last year he got 76 BB with 97 SO's.
BA wise this is a low water for him. .281 in 2012, .281 in 2011, .261 in 2010, .326 in 2009. I believe he can hit around .270 and keep a OBA near .400.

Just seems like it would play chaos with pitching. Szczur on 1st Watkins taking pitches running up pitch counts fast.

Jackson IDK.
Apr: .219/.315/.406 7 BB 24 SO (64 AB)
May: .333/.391/.429 2 BB 2 SO (21 AB)

If he can keep it up through June then it is something to think on.

Of them all Szczur has looked the best. I'd promote him and bump Sappelt out of CF in Iowa.

Yea, Watkins can continue to walk in the majors. He would be the definition of a 2 guy. The Cubs needs speed in the leadoff. DeJesus gives a good at bat up there but the lack speed hurts in generating runs. Szczur game is built around speed and defense. His biggest knock was people didnt think he would walk, but he has gotten better every year at it.

No doubt Jackson has a ways to go, but he is healthy for the first time in a month. I have been waiting to see how he is once healthy. Long way to go, but its a little encouraging.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
And again, I question Escobar as a "core" player. I have a feeling you would too, if it weren't me that suggested it.

Wrong as usual.

Ever since they signed Escobar to that extension I said I would take him over Castro at their respective prices.

You have never even seen Escobar play or even realize that Escobar's numbers are IMPROVING while Barney's numbers are regressing.

Sorry, Barney sucks and many people are talking about how the Royals middle of the field is shaping up as a very nice core with Cain, Perez and Escobar.

As usual, your memory is extremely selective.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Wrong as usual.

Ever since they signed Escobar to that extension I said I would take him over Castro at their respective prices.

You have never even seen Escobar play or even realize that Escobar's numbers are IMPROVING while Barney's numbers are regressing.

Sorry, Barney sucks and many people are talking about how the Royals middle of the field is shaping up as a very nice core with Cain, Perez and Escobar.

As usual, your memory is extremely selective.

:jawdrop:

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Exhibit A is the article of which this thread began.

Exhibit A is an opinion piece by a journalist. Not a plan publicly given by Rickets and the management team.

The FACTS are currently that the Cubs are not doing both.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
People, Szczur hasn't been all that great this year, needs to slug more, OBP is OK but OPS is still below .750, though he seems to be working his way up there again.

Willrust

Liked Posts:
Robinson Cano: 2B, New York Yankees
Shin-Soo Choo: OF, Cincinnati Reds
Curtis Granderson: OF, New York Yankees
Hunter Pence: OF, San Francisco Giants
Josh Johnson: SP, Toronto Blue Jays
Tim Lincecum: SP, San Francisco Giants
Ricky Nolasco: SP, Miami Marlins

Pretty underwhelming list to spend money on aside from Granderson, who has yet to play a game this year, and will be 33 years old at the start of next year.

No way the Yankees let Cano go so I'm not really even looking at him.

First Timer,

Based upon what the Cubs have done and said, it is unlikely that they will focus on any free agents that are 30 years old or older, and would require any lengthy deal. They may sign guys 30 and over (may target some bullpen guys to 2 year deals), but likely those would be the turnover guys like Maholm, Feldman, Baker & Villanueva.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
First Timer,

Based upon what the Cubs have done and said, it is unlikely that they will focus on any free agents that are 30 years old or older, and would require any lengthy deal. They may sign guys 30 and over (may target some bullpen guys to 2 year deals), but likely those would be the turnover guys like Maholm, Feldman, Baker & Villanueva.

Yeah. I know.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
People, Szczur hasn't been all that great this year, needs to slug more, OBP is OK but OPS is still below .750, though he seems to be working his way up there again.

Its not his game. He is a speed and hustle. OBP means more to a player like Szczur than anything else. And, yes, he is doing very well. 13 steal to 2 CS which doesnt show up in OPS.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Based upon what the Cubs have done and said, it is unlikely that they will focus on any free agents that are 30 years old or older, and would require any lengthy deal.

Then you are completely ignoring almost all of the premier free agents and placing your eggs all in the farm system basket.

Which is exactly what teams like the Royals, Pittsburgh and Tampa run their franchises that you are going on and on and on about how that is not what the Cubs are trying to do.

But then again you also argued against signing 27 year old Prince Fielder as well.

Last edited:

Willrust

Liked Posts:
Then you are completely ignoring almost all of the premier free agents and placing your eggs all in the farm system basket.

Which is exactly what teams like the Royals, Pittsburgh and Tampa run their franchises that you are going on and on and on about how that is not what the Cubs are trying to do.

But then again you also argued against signing 27 year old Prince Fielder as well.

KB, I refer back to my previous statements:

Possible holes for the Cubs to fill:
2B - Robinson Cano - Likely will resign with NY. Based upon age, 31, don't see an 8-10 year deal. However, a 6-7 year deal at about 200M could be the number.
3B - Jhonny Peralta*** - Is this the decent 3B stopgap the Cubs need until Lake/Baez/Villanueva are ready?
OF - Corey Hart*** - Getting him away from the Brewers would be a nice slap in the face to those ******* up North.
SP - Colby Lewis
SP - Phil Hughes
RP - Grant Balfour
RP - Joaquin Benoit
RP - Joe Smith
RP - Eric O’Flaherty
RP - Nick Masset
RP - Jesse Crain

Colby Lewis is another Maholm/Feldman/Villanueva type signing for turnaround. The guy has good peripherals over the past few years. Is coming back from injury, so could be inexpensive.

Phil Hughes could be another one of those pitchers that suddenly gets better upon a move away from the AL East.

Any of those RP would be a nice fit in the Cubs bullpen. Smith, O'Fleherty, Masset & Crain may be best options due to age.

I would like to see the Cubs go after Phil Hughes and Corey Hart. Hughes is under 30 and could be the next pitcher in line to see his stats improve simply by moving out of the AL East. Corey Hart will be 32 next March, but he could likely be had for a reasonable 3-4 year deal with incentives/ options. Robinson Cano, I would love to see the Cubs go after him, but not if it is going to require over 6 years. Is it likely for him to sign a contract for 6 years or less, probably not.

However, there are some solid looking bullpen arms listed there. Colby Lewis would be a perfect sign to trade later guy.

But in terms of elite guys this offseason, other than Cano at a 6 year deal or less; I just don't see any fits. Go through the list and point out an elite FA, other than Cano, you think would fit.

Willrust

Liked Posts:
As to Prince Fielder, I completely understand why the Cubs didn't sign him to a 9 year deal. Has nothing to do with me arguing against signing him in the first place if he could have been had for 6 or even 7 years. I just don't see Fielder as a 1B for the entirety of the 9 year deal based upon his...girth. I also didn't see the point of the Cubs forking over 200+M on 1 player when they planned to do a rebuild.

Chris J

Chris Jelinek
Liked Posts:
Right now this team is horrible.

But do not underestimate how much an influence that adding one of the best hitters in the game (Cano) and another super solid, well above average bat in Choo makes on a team. It would be a massive upgrade. Massive.

IF Rizzo proves he is real and a .290/30/100 guy, adding Cano and Choo along with Soriano and Castro gives the Cubs at least a legitimate major league order instead of one of the worst in baseball.

Hell, you add these two bats and I wouldn't even complain them keeping DeJesus or Schierholz and Valbuena to band aid those positions.

I would have to argue that this team is horrible. They arent a contender, but they arent that "horrible"

12 games against 1st place teams, 9 against 2nd place teams, and overall 25/38 games against above .500 teams.
I lost track of all the blown saves, but I know there was 1 against the Braves, Giants, Reds. I forgot the others.

So maybe if the bullpen was good in April, this team is a game or two under .500 with 65.7% of the games against above .500 teams.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

:rofl:

So when has SLG mattered for a lead off?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I would have to argue that this team is horrible. They arent a contender, but they arent that "horrible"

12 games against 1st place teams, 9 against 2nd place teams, and overall 25/38 games against above .500 teams.
I lost track of all the blown saves, but I know there was 1 against the Braves, Giants, Reds. I forgot the others.

So maybe if the bullpen was good in April, this team is a game or two under .500 with 65.7% of the games against above .500 teams.

They are bad enough to be sellers.

Last year not a horrible team until they sold. Then they ended up losing 100 games.

See how it works?

If you make at team that can contend in the off season then one would expect to be a buyer.

When you add on short term trade chips and unproven platoons in critical areas then you can expect to be sellers.

Chris J

Chris Jelinek
Liked Posts:
They are bad enough to be sellers.

Last year not a horrible team until they sold. Then they ended up losing 100 games.

See how it works?

If you make at team that can contend in the off season then one would expect to be a buyer.

When you add on short term trade chips and unproven platoons in critical areas then you can expect to be sellers.

Not talking about being sellers, I'm telling Kbis that he's wrong.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
They were built that way. They built the team on the cheep. Right now Feldman has command of his cutter which has put him on another level then he was before. Wood has been impressive. Shark meh. I expect more out of him. Jackson we will see if he builds off of his last game. Schierholtz has performed excellent. Hairston major disappointment. Pen is much better with Greg as the closer and now Fuji back. Rotation should get a pick up with Garza. It all doesn't matter though. They built this team to scrap it at the deadline. If player A is over performing then that just up's his sale value. Who did they sell last year? Dempster and Maholm. Their top 2 starters. This year I expect Feldman sold and if they get the right return Garza also. Take 1 step foward 2 steps back. Until they start making some long term investments (other than signing Jackson to get a season ticket sale boost) the Cubs will be stuck in the mud.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
their going to try and be sellers, problem is i dont think teams are going to be looking to take a couple of their key players that their hoping to trade for quantity in soriano and marmol..

i think because of the injury, they are forced to try and re-up garza for at least 2 yrs ( might be a good option for garza too, so he not entering FA off an injury )..
maybe they can both agree on a year with a eye towards extending or garza choosing FA after 2014 depending on how he looks after returning..

their not getting anything for baker.. feldman could net them a low end prospect, same with villanueva..
i will be pissed if they trade travis wood, who would net them a couple of good prospects, but i would much rather have travis wood as part of the core rotation for yrs to come..

their stuck with edwin jackson uness from here on out he has all QS and then they need to find a sucker needing a starter for a playoff run willing to take his contract for low end prospects..

shawn camp should be available.. valbuena, hairston, sappelt, borbon, ransom, sweeney for teams looking to add bench help

dejesus, barney, and schieholtz should be available and bring in a decent return..

i dont mind if they sell off some of these players, BUT i think its time they start adding and working on establishing a core roster of major league players thats going to stick for the next couple of years..

IF the astros take someone other then Appel, I want to see their 2014 rotation with these players..

garza, samardzija, Appel, wood, and either a top FA or traded for starter.. edwin jackson should not and better not knock any of these starters out of the rotation, unless he improves and they dont get Appel or wood starts to suck..

then they have a possible starter in the hole in Arodys Vizcaino, whom i dont expect to go full speed as a starter til mid 2014..

as far as position players go.. all they have set is castillo, rizzo, and castro..
the rest are tradeable and i would like to see at least 2 more positions settled upon before the end of the year, thats going to part of the long term core..

so, if not recieved by trades or drafting bryant for 3B or RF, then guys like jackson, villanueva, vitters, szczur, watkins, Brian Bogusevic, Jae-Hoon Ha all will need to take a leap and try to claim a spot this year on the major league club..

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
:rofl:

So when has SLG mattered for a lead off?

OPS still needs to be higher, though of course it should take off in AAA given the nature of the PCL.

Status
Not open for further replies.