Sources: Expect Cubs to spend next winter

Status
Not open for further replies.

patg006

Liked Posts:
Not talking about being sellers, I'm telling Kbis that he's wrong.

Based on what? This team's record after Rizzo got hot?

This team is horrible, and will be sellers. They still need a #4 hitter, stay consistent in driving in runs......and more than a week of consistent bullpen play for anyone with half a brain to think otherwise

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Based on what? This team's record after Rizzo got hot?

This team is horrible, and will be sellers. They still need a #4 hitter, stay consistent in driving in runs......and more than a week of consistent bullpen play for anyone with half a brain to think otherwise

But but but we have a better record than the White Sox!!! All that matters!!! /troll

CSF77

Liked Posts:
OPS still needs to be higher, though of course it should take off in AAA given the nature of the PCL.

If Szczur can keep his OBA over .350 with his speed as a lead off I'd take it. But to the question of CF. I'd keep it in house. Only exception: say they sign Granderson: CF in 2014. Move over to LF in 2015 and have Szczur take over CF. by then Soler should be in RF. so a 3/4/5 of (not necessarily in this order) Rizzo, Soler, Granderson. That is a core to build around.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
If Szczur can keep his OBA over .350 with his speed as a lead off I'd take it. But to the question of CF. I'd keep it in house. Only exception: say they sign Granderson: CF in 2014. Move over to LF in 2015 and have Szczur take over CF. by then Soler should be in RF. so a 3/4/5 of (not necessarily in this order) Rizzo, Soler, Granderson. That is a core to build around.

I'd take it sure, but my point was that leadoff or eighth is the only spot his overall numbers would be acceptable in IMO, and that is assuming he can duplicate the same success in the majors.

I still like BJax over him right now, though neither are as hyped as they once were. If BJax can bat .270, he can OBP around .350 and add a bit of power, and the defense isn't all that far apart. Think steals are a little overrated and don't put as much stock into them, but it is nice to see Szczur performing to at least some standard this season.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I'd take it sure, but my point was that leadoff or eighth is the only spot his overall numbers would be acceptable in IMO, and that is assuming he can duplicate the same success in the majors.

I still like BJax over him right now, though neither are as hyped as they once were. If BJax can bat .270, he can OBP around .350 and add a bit of power, and the defense isn't all that far apart. Think steals are a little overrated and don't put as much stock into them, but it is nice to see Szczur performing to at least some standard this season.

Jaxx was hyped and fell when his SO's pushed past his BB. Rest of his tool box is good but not great at one thing. Szczur has one plus tool. Speed. If he can keep his OBA over .350 he holds more weigh for the future. Also he really never was a baseball player in college. He was a football player who played baseball in the spring. He is still growing as a ball player.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Jaxx was hyped and fell when his SO's pushed past his BB. Rest of his tool box is good but not great at one thing. Szczur has one plus tool. Speed. If he can keep his OBA over .350 he holds more weigh for the future. Also he really never was a baseball player in college. He was a football player who played baseball in the spring. He is still growing as a ball player.

And this year, he has been managing the K's well too, though I admit I find ranking Szczur in the mid-20s in our farm like BA did was a bit extreme in my mind.

justaChifan

Liked Posts:
I think the Cubs have it in their plans to be sellers at the deadline. How awkward would it be, if the Cubs are doing well, for Theo&Co to sell it to fans that this must be done. Like taking medicine that you know is good for you? Attendance doesn't look healthy right now.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Szczur with 3 for 5 night tonight. BA over .300 now. I dont know why we are talking BJax and Szczur. Szczur is a CF. BJax can play center, but is more a corner OF. He prosjects to right or left if he cuts the K's. He went 1 for 4 today with 1 K.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
It depends on if he can become more than a 20 HR talent. I see him as a place holder to be perfectly honest.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
It depends on if he can become more than a 20 HR talent. I see him as a place holder to be perfectly honest.

Even if he tops out at 20 homers, he always has a really good OPS. He is an extra base machine when makes contact. To me, he is either a sink or swim player. He is either going to make it and be really good or completely bust out. I see Szczur being able to make a ML roster even if he doesnt make it as a starter.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
What I see happening is they trade Dejesus this year. If Jackson has his SO under control he gets bumped. If he is failing Borbon was added in that case. That pick signed Dejesus' walking papers. I can see at that point Szczur promoted to AAA. Now this is on Jackson. Sink or swim Szczur is next in line. To be honest I would be surprised if they opened up their pockets on any long term fix. But my vision is Jax goes to CF in 2014. Szczur takes over in 2015 and Jaxx moves to LF. Almora would be upwelling and bump one of the 2 out. But IMO if say Rock keeps up his hitting and they move him to LF. I'd rather have a power bat in LF vs Jaxx. Again too early to say. Jaxx may never adjust for all we know.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
As to Prince Fielder, I completely understand why the Cubs didn't sign him to a 9 year deal. Has nothing to do with me arguing against signing him in the first place if he could have been had for 6 or even 7 years. I just don't see Fielder as a 1B for the entirety of the 9 year deal based upon his...girth. I also didn't see the point of the Cubs forking over 200+M on 1 player when they planned to do a rebuild.

Will, what is the difference of signing Fielder to 9 yrs 215 million, versus Cano who will more than likely get 7 yrs 175 million? Talk about girth all you want, but there is no more guarantee that Cano will be around at age 38, then Fielder will be at age 36.

Fielder plays a position where he doesn't have to be mobile and could have been signed at age 27. Cano will be 31 when he inks a contract.

BTW, the Cubs are no closer to being contenders this year if they sign Cano than they were when Fielder was on the free agent market 2 years ago. Not saying it is you, but I don't get how people can endorse the bringing in of Cano, but not Fielder.

To me, everything about both of them is the same exact situation.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Has nothing to do with me arguing against signing him in the first place if he could have been had for 6 or even 7 years.

Not sure what planet you live on where you think you can sign elite FA's like Fielder or Cano for deals under six years.

So again, you want to completely ignore the premier FA's and place all your eggs in the basket of the farm system.

Exactly like Kansas City, Pittsburgh and Tampa are doing.

The exact teams you say the Cubs aren't being run like.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
I would have to argue that this team is horrible. They arent a contender, but they arent that "horrible"

So out of one side of your mouth, you wet your pants that someone says this team is horrible and you say they aren't that horrible.

Out of the other side of the drool filled mouth you say that adding Cano and Choo wouldn't make the team competitive.

Which is it?

Because those are almost completely opposite statements.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yea, Im not really sure what that dude is saying. The Cubs put out a healthy rotation and fix that bullpen which absolutely can be done in an off season. You add Choo and Cano. I would almost say they would be competiting for the division, but def. the two wild card spots. Those two are huge game changers and would bring power and walks to this team. The Cubs have been extremely powerful this year. What hurts the offense is the lack of walks and hitting with RISP. These guy would bring that plus more to the lineup. It would instantly change this team.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
:rofl:

So when has SLG mattered for a lead off?

Well seeing as the last two years that the Cubs won the division they had a guy who slugged .560 and .532, I would say it helps.

I'll take SLG over OBP everytime.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well seeing as the last two years that the Cubs won the division they had a guy who slugged .560 and .532, I would say it helps.

I'll take SLG over OBP everytime.

Different scenario. Different player. Matt Szczur game is nothing like Sorianos which I know you know and Szczur will never be the player Soriano was. Doesnt mean he wouldnt be a valuable lead off hitter.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Yea, Im not really sure what that dude is saying. The Cubs put out a healthy rotation and fix that bullpen which absolutely can be done in an off season. You add Choo and Cano. I would almost say they would be competiting for the division, but def. the two wild card spots. Those two are huge game changers and would bring power and walks to this team. The Cubs have been extremely powerful this year. What hurts the offense is the lack of walks and hitting with RISP. These guy would bring that plus more to the lineup. It would instantly change this team.

And for all the penny pinchers out there, a lot could be accomplished with Beltran and Choo also. Beltran could be had on a 2 year 25 million deal, versus a minimum of 7 175 for Cano. Not saying I don't like Cano, but more of trying to emphasize the point that you can get competitive quickly and build the farm simultaneously without those feared "long term" contracts.

Two free agent pick-ups, and a trade for a 3B man would put them in the hunt for a playoff spot and it wouldn't put a mere dent in payroll. After all, winning the WS starts with getting into the playoffs first.

Status
Not open for further replies.