My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
300 million on two guys? What a way to build a team
Not the point you made, you implied that Prince didn't want to sign here, and then I asked what if Theo didn't make an offer to know if he wanted to sign with the Cubs?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Im not on board with that one. Fielder would have signed with the highest bidder. I was just making a point that the AL has an advantage to the NL because of the fallback of the DH. Makes certain investments safer. I just think we need to move past it. Rizzo showed me this year what I wanted to see. The league started pitching him different and he struggle. Then, he did what you have to do if you want to stay in this league. He adjusted. I also noticed on his approach to left handers he chokes up on the bat now. It has seemed to help him against them. Rizzo is a nice young piece to have. Barring injury or some other unforeseen problem. The Cubs have a nice young piece

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Rizzo showed me this year what I wanted to see. The league started pitching him different and he struggle. Then, he did what you have to do if you want to stay in this league. He adjusted.

And the league will adjust again.

It is still too early to say he is a proven major league slugger.

He had a couple streaks last year as well and then long stretches where he would struggle and ended up with very mediocre production post All Star Game last year.

Looks like he just finished up one of those hot streaks so of course people will react that he is permanently fixed. He has a .273/.273./.273 line over the last five games which could be back to another long stretch where he struggles to open the season.

Let's see if he is hitting .290ish at that All Star Game

The Cubs have a nice young piece

But they also gave up a nice young piece to get him also.

So to me this is still breaking even and not adding.

Cashner has a 2.51 ERA in his five starts this year. Still needs to work on going deeper into games and cutting down his walks, but he still has all the look of a top of the rotation starter which most people on the draft thread are saying are harder to come by than a power bat.

patg006

Liked Posts:
Like I've mentioned before. There are always those special people that receive information via alien transmissions or get the dinner invites at the Epstein Mansion.

You've got to respect the fortunate ones who are priviledged with these "gifts" that are shared.

Dammit Salami! And here I am out in the cold starving like a child in Africa while everyone here gets their fill of the dinner I never got invited to!

I wish I could know what goes on......AFTER the ring toss games and tickle fights, of course :fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap:

:fap::harden::cum:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
They are not going to win anything until they start investing into realistic players to go forward with. So take Cash for Rizzo break even. Trade Marshall for Wood, break even at this point. Let Shark start. Now if they re-up Garza and draft Appel they are ahead. They still need a core hitter to go foward with. 3B would be ideal. I don't see any legit 3B escaping to F/A. System's best option is converting Baez. Even if they did it could delay his development. I'm in the opinion they need to make some trades. I'll believe it when I see it on them opening up the coin purse.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
Dammit Salami! And here I am out in the cold starving like a child in Africa while everyone here gets their fill of the dinner I never got invited to!

I wish I could know what goes on......AFTER the ring toss games and tickle fights, of course :fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap:

:fap::harden::cum:

Pat. The load blowing and jacking off avatars are very offensive to me. When you put just one by itself I am not as offended.

When two jacking off avatars, are placed side by side, I find it to be skirting on the homophobic side of things and I'm trying to rehabilitate at the moment.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
And the league will adjust again.

It is still too early to say he is a proven major league slugger.

He had a couple streaks last year as well and then long stretches where he would struggle and ended up with very mediocre production post All Star Game last year.

Looks like he just finished up one of those hot streaks so of course people will react that he is permanently fixed. He has a .273/.273./.273 line over the last five games which could be back to another long stretch where he struggles to open the season.

Let's see if he is hitting .290ish at that All Star Game

But they also gave up a nice young piece to get him also.

So to me this is still breaking even and not adding.

Cashner has a 2.51 ERA in his five starts this year. Still needs to work on going deeper into games and cutting down his walks, but he still has all the look of a top of the rotation starter which most people on the draft thread are saying are harder to come by than a power bat.

Cashner has a million dollar arm not doubt, but that injury bug will always be a concern. I wish we had both of them, but if the Cubs can get Appel or Gray this year then I am fine with having Rizzo over Cashner. By the all star break Rizzo will have over a full year of at bats. I get your premise, but I feel you short change him a bit. He has been impressive ever since he hit Chicago. Lets hope as Cubs fans he never has big holes. Also, how long has it been since the Cubs had a left handed big stick in the lineup?

patg006

Liked Posts:
Pat. The load blowing and jacking off avatars are very offensive to me. When you put just one by itself I am not as offended.

When two jacking off avatars, are placed side by side, I find it to be skirting on the homophobic side of things and I'm trying to rehabilitate at the moment.

:fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap:::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap:

Its not peer pressure, its your turn....

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
I wish we had both of them, but if the Cubs can get Appel or Gray this year then I am fine with having Rizzo over Cashner.

And I'd rather have had Fielder, Cashner and Appel.

Three is better than two.

I get your premise, but I feel you short change him a bit. He has been impressive ever since he hit Chicago.

No he hasn't.

His OPS the second half of last season was below average for major league 1B.

Out of 11 1B who had 300 PA's last year post All Star Game, Rizzo's .764 ranked 10th out of 11.

Out of 21 1B who had 275 PA's last year post All Star Game, Rizzo's .764 ranked 18th out of 21.

Out of 24 1B who had 250 PA's last year post All Star Game, Rizzo's .764 ranked 19th out of 24.

The numbers speak for themselves. I am not short changing him at all. Just not taking part of the Theo spankfest and mess myself over fairly average numbers for a major league 1B.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Robinson Cano is a 2B with some flexibility to move to another position (3B, LF, RF & 1B are not out of the question). Prince Fielder is stuck at 1B until his knees, feet or back gives out and will only be able to DH. Also, the level of difference between what the Cubs currently have at 2B and Robinson Cano is vastly greater than the difference between Rizzo and Fielder/Pujols. You are talking about a guy in Cano that could be a HOFer if he continues at his current pace versus a 1 dimensional guy in Barney. At least with Rizzo vs. Fielder Pujols, you are comparing a potential perennial All-Star to two likely HOFers.

First off, it was determined by management that they were going to go after Rizzo and not Fielder because that was there choice. I get that. But no one will ever convince me that they made any honest attempt to go after Fielder as you say they did. It generally gets to the media somehow who the serious bidders are, and a lot of times it is leaked at the amount too.

Also, to say that Cano to Barney is a massive upgrade, versus Fielder/Pujols to Rizzo holds no water. The Cubs had no first basemen, so anything over Carlos Pena would have been an upgrade.

Sorry, but at the time, a failed major leaguer in Rizzo was not an improvement over Pena.

As to the Cubs not being closer this year compared to the 2012 season, they are closer due to the added progression of their prospects (Soler, Watkins, Shoulders, Vogelbach, Rusin, Rosscup, Hendricks, Johnson and Baez to name a few) along with the added progression of the young players currently on the major league team (Castro, Rizzo, Samardzija, Russell, Wood & Castillo).

And they would have been just as close and might have made the playoffs if they actually fielded a quality team to go along with Castro, Rizzo, Shark, Russell, Wood, and Castillo at 1060 W. Addison. They had those players last year, and added E-Jax and Schierholz to compliment them.

Imagine the possibilities if they actually did both?

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Why the fuck are we talking about Prince Fielder? The Cubs never had any interest in signing him.

From ESPN.com, January 15th, 2012:

"There haven't been any discussions with us for Prince, that's just not going to happen," newly installed manager Dale Sveum told a room full of fans at a question and answer session Saturday. "We have our first baseman in Bryan LaHair and [Anthony] Rizzo waiting in the wings as well. We're doing OK with big power left-handed hitters right now. "

Article

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/stor...-prince-fielder-chicago-cubs-not-going-happen

Stop. Just stop.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

No he hasn't.

Out of 11 1B who had 300 PA's last year post All Star Game, Rizzo's .764 ranked 10th out of 11.

Out of 21 1B who had 275 PA's last year post All Star Game, Rizzo's .764 ranked 18th out of 21.

Out of 24 1B who had 250 PA's last year post All Star Game, Rizzo's .764 ranked 19th out of 24.

The numbers speak for themselves. I am not short changing him at all. Just not taking part of the Theo spankfest and mess myself over fairly average numbers for a major league 1B.

He's 23-years-old. Not every player comes in and has a Mike Trout or Mike Piazza season. Quit acting like he's 35.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
:fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap:::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap:

Its not peer pressure, its your turn....

My wrist is limp from jacking off like a twelve year old gazing at the bra section of the JCPenny's spring catalog.

I am not ever going to use the word Jew and Braun in the same sentence again. Who on Earth would be afraid for telling the truth.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Why the fuck are we talking about Prince Fielder? The Cubs never had any interest in signing him.

That is kinda the point on yet another bad move by the Greatest Management Team in the History of Baseball.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
He's 23-years-old. Not every player comes in and has a Mike Trout or Mike Piazza season. Quit acting like he's 35.

Quit acting like a 23 year old who was very below average the entire second half of last season is a franchise player.

#Theospankfest

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

No he hasn't.

What spankfest? You just wont let go of one signing.

This year:

Rizzo: .270 BA, 9 homers, 28 RBI's .339 OBP, .852 OPS with much better defense then Fielder

Fielder: .285 BA, 9 Homers, 33 RBI's, .415 OBP, .963 OPS

This is before todays games where Fielder did not have a good day and Rizzo is 2 for 3 with a walk and a RBI.

You look at one thing and not the bigger picture. Fielder is in his prime with a much better offense around him. Rizzo is doing just fine. Its ok. Theo and them arent the devil. People with this whole Theo and them do nothing wrong and Theo and them doing everything wrong is an old talk. Should I still be bitching about the Cubs letting Greg Maddux go? I understand Rizzo has a long way to go to be Fielder, but get over them not signing him.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Another thought. Sorry to interrupt the Rizzo debate. I was looking over the Schedule. Garza is slotted to start thurs. Fri they go into a 3 game set against a cold NYM. Off day. Garza's next start would fall on Tue after the off day on Monday. Logical day to plug him into the rotation. So that puts Villenueva out of the rotation now. Small wonders. So looking over the rest of the month the only hard series is vs Cin. Going into next month they have a 4 game vs STL and a 4 game vs Cin. Rest of the series are winnable. Now this might be early but with the way the staff is ATM and Villenueva most likely plugged into long relief. My question could by Jul find themselves over .500. And if so would that make them buyers? Looking at it and seeing the play and a Garza boost this may force Theo to buy a bat. Food for thought

Status
Not open for further replies.