Sources: Expect Cubs to spend next winter

Status
Not open for further replies.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
They are 5th to last with RISP and 7thto last in walks. Yes, every team would do better, but that is there biggest area of need. Thats the point.

Earlier in the season they were worse then now.

Team wise:
9th from last in runs. 160 Det leading the league with 206.
OBA: 7th from last. .305 Det again leading the league at .351.

What is hurting them here is team BB: 95. 3rd from last. Oakland leads the league at 175.
This points to Castro. 170 AB 7 BB hitting #2.
Dejesus now hitting more BB' are down in return. 13 in 124 AB.
Valbuena very good 16 in 96 AB.

They have had a few big run scoring games and Rizzo's better hitting has pulled them up.

They lack at least one impact bat for sure. Just to get them up to the league avg.

Team ERA: 3.72 Stl at 3.03. Garza should help there. Also if Jackson and Garza can build off their last games it will go far.

Before we jump to conclusions, the next couple weeks of Mutts, Chisox, Reds, Pirates, and DBacks should be telling after that record. If teh cubs come out shining--then I can start to believe they can be buyers.

Well first step is seeing if Garza can get to 90-100 pitches today. If that happens we can expect him in the rotation at Pit. Getting Villenueva into the pen and Camp off the team. That is a good first step. Fridays game is the only challenge. Jaxx vs Harvey. We get to see if Jaxx can keep it up. My mock up had them losing that game. Winning the next 2. He is the only challenge in their rotation.

However, I wont believe it till I see it. A couple guys are hot right now, and the optimism is fresh for a change, which is good.....i guess i can be half full about a 85-90 loss team after a 100 loss team.

Tell me about it. I would like to have an enjoyable summer also. Last year I went to the beach more with my time vs watch a bad team.

Thinking these guys will be hot in a month is foolish. They look great one day then get shut down by Jeff Francis the next. Jeff fucking Francis.....There's still a ways to go...

LH pitching. Again that is their weakness. This points to Ransom going 0-4. Scott Hairston sucking up the joint and so on. The platoons have been lacking from the right side of the plate.

But still the games need to be played. Still there are some winnable series coming up and with the how constant the staff has been and with Greg being nails....(wow) Fuji back from injury. Russell stable...hmmmm...ya this makes Marmol and Camp not needed....:turtle:

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Earlier in the season they were worse then now.

Team wise:
9th from last in runs. 160 Det leading the league with 206.
OBA: 7th from last. .305 Det again leading the league at .351.

What is hurting them here is team BB: 95. 3rd from last. Oakland leads the league at 175.
This points to Castro. 170 AB 7 BB hitting #2.
Dejesus now hitting more BB' are down in return. 13 in 124 AB.
Valbuena very good 16 in 96 AB.

They have had a few big run scoring games and Rizzo's better hitting has pulled them up.

They lack at least one impact bat for sure. Just to get them up to the league avg.

Team ERA: 3.72 Stl at 3.03. Garza should help there. Also if Jackson and Garza can build off their last games it will go far.

Well first step is seeing if Garza can get to 90-100 pitches today. If that happens we can expect him in the rotation at Pit. Getting Villenueva into the pen and Camp off the team. That is a good first step. Fridays game is the only challenge. Jaxx vs Harvey. We get to see if Jaxx can keep it up. My mock up had them losing that game. Winning the next 2. He is the only challenge in their rotation.

Tell me about it. I would like to have an enjoyable summer also. Last year I went to the beach more with my time vs watch a bad team.

LH pitching. Again that is their weakness. This points to Ransom going 0-4. Scott Hairston sucking up the joint and so on. The platoons have been lacking from the right side of the plate.

But still the games need to be played. Still there are some winnable series coming up and with the how constant the staff has been and with Greg being nails....(wow) Fuji back from injury. Russell stable...hmmmm...ya this makes Marmol and Camp not needed....:turtle:

Hairston has to eventually go on a monster tear. He has hit left handed pitching to well in his career. Guy has serious pop. He gets going the Cubs will be a lot better against lefties.

Chris J

Chris Jelinek
Liked Posts:
DeJesus will NOT net a top 10 prospect. On a good team he's still a 4th outfielder.

Soriano is worth more to the cubs to stay. Nobody will give up a good prospect, and its not worth unloading him and paying 9/10 of his salary for a B-B+ prospect at best. We arent getting Dylan Bundy like return for Soriano.....

A playoff contender would hear Marmol's name and say 'no thanks' to put it nicely--they should have gotten Haren. Kevin Gregg however, if he stays hot is a different story.....James Russell would be another name teams chase.

Andrew Cashner wasnt handed a 7 year, 41 million dollar deal with fantastic incentives. Rizzo got one. That's what boyd was referring to. Dont strawman a point you cant counter.....

I guess youre saying youre smarter than most reporters who believe DeJesus can net a top 10 prospect.
.290 AVG, .362 OBP, .878 OPS

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
I guess youre saying youre smarter than most reporters who believe DeJesus can net a top 10 prospect.

Maybe the question ought to be, which one of the roughly top 10 Cub prospects in no particular order would you give up for a 33 year old role player in David Dejesus if you were a contending team?

1 Appel/Gray
2 Soler
3 Baez
4 Almora
5 Shoulders
6 V-Bach
7 Maples
8 Viscaino
9 Villanueva
10 B-Jax
11 Johnson
12 Szczur

Chris J

Chris Jelinek
Liked Posts:
Here just so everyone has the numbers:

Rizzo(24): .277 AVG, .349 OBP, .873 OPS, 11 2B, 9HR, 29RBIs, 4SB, 14BB, 1.2 WAR, GDP 2, TPA 172, P/PA 3.91, TB 81, AB/HR 17.2, SO 34.

Fielder(29): .277 AVG, .406 OBP, .938 OPS, 9 2B, 9HR, 33RBI, 0SB, 28BB(3IBB), 1.0 WAR, 6 GDP, TPA 175, P/PA 3.88, TB 75, AB/HR 15.7, SO 34.

So, let's look at this.

-Rizzo isn't at the age yet the most people expect a player to reach his prime, Prince is right in the middle of it
-Rizzo will be making around $7 million, Fielder is making $23.7million---- both on average
-Rizzo is a much better fielder than Fielder.

Lets also take a look at the batting order in front of them

Rizzo:
1. DeJesus: .290 AVG, .362 OBP
2. Castro: .282 AVG, .315 OBP

Fielder
1. Infante(while Jackson is out): .318 AVG, .352 OBP
2. Torii Hunter: .325 AVG, .370 OBP
3. Cabrera: .369 AVG, .441 OBP

Clearly there will be more runners on base for Fielder when he comes to the plate than Rizzo. More RBI chances

Runners on base with number of AB
Rizzo:
0-83
1-72
Scoring Position- 44
Loaded- 4

Fielder:
0-62
1-79
SP- 43
Loaded- 7

Let it Fucking Go. The Tigers couldnt win the World Series by adding Prince Fielder so what makes you think the Cubs would have won a WS by adding Fielder?

And btw I'm willing to bet you that the Tigers dont win the WS this year.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:

The White Sox would be happy to give you our #10 prospect Brent Morel. :)

patg006

Liked Posts:

I'm saying I dont exactly believe everything reporters spoonfeed me.....because--you know:

Derrick Rose totally returned this season

Eric Karlsson of the Ottawa Senators was finished for the year and never would return from an Achilles injury

Ray Lewis' career was done after his triceps tear in 2012

Hell freezes over and the cubs win the world series in 2004 according to SI

Martin Brodeur could never be the Devils' franchise goalie after a "down" year in 1995

Dan Haren and Randall Delgado are currently cubs

Oh wait--none of these things happened/the opposites happened?

I have more

I'm not saying I'm smarter than reporters, no. But to sit back and let everything said come out as true is stupid on your part. Nickel's worth of advice skippy--Question what you read, dont believe it till you see it.....

Willrust

Liked Posts:
DeJesus will NOT net a top 10 prospect. On a good team he's still a 4th outfielder.

Soriano is worth more to the cubs to stay. Nobody will give up a good prospect, and its not worth unloading him and paying 9/10 of his salary for a B-B+ prospect at best. We arent getting Dylan Bundy like return for Soriano.....

A playoff contender would hear Marmol's name and say 'no thanks' to put it nicely--they should have gotten Haren. Kevin Gregg however, if he stays hot is a different story.....James Russell would be another name teams chase.

Andrew Cashner wasnt handed a 7 year, 41 million dollar deal with fantastic incentives. Rizzo got one. That's what boyd was referring to. Dont strawman a point you cant counter.....

As to DeJesus:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/05/trade-candidate-david-dejesus.html

I wasn't the first to say it.

As to your summation of what KB is trying to say about Cashner vs Rizzo; had nothing to do with Rizzo's contract.

Exhibit A from KB's Mouth: "Part of that bigger picture that the Theospankfest ignores is the cost of obtaining Rizzo in Andrew Cashner who is pitching extremely well right now." No mention of contracts!

Exhibit B from KB's Mouth: "But they also gave up a nice young piece to get him also. So to me this is still breaking even and not adding. Cashner has a 2.51 ERA in his five starts this year." Again, no mention of contracts.

So were is the strawman here?

He is comparing a guy that put up solid numbers in 2012 and so far in 2013 to 5 good starts from Cashner. If he wants a comparison using small sample sizes, look at Cashner's Home/Road splits this year. I used 8 starts when I made my comments about Edwin Jackson not being good at Wrigley compared to vs. the Cubs away from Wrigley and Mr. Hypocrite went ballistic. Do you see a trend here?

Chris J

Chris Jelinek
Liked Posts:
Cashner hasnt even had 5 good starts though. He gave up 4 runs to the Cubs. His best outing was against the Marlins. And he should be good against the Marlins, who dont even have Stanton right now

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
And now we know that you didn't read the entire article, otherwise you would have read this little nugget:

The sides began preliminary negotiations on Nov. 15 at Major League Baseball's general managers meetings in Milwaukee and the sources confirmed that the two sides have continued to talk since that initial meeting.

So one source said they never talked.

One source says they had preliminary talks.

No sources say that a contract offer was made.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Well, there are some baseball people that have said that DeJesus alone could net an organizations top 10 prospect.

A top 10 prospect is miles away from one of the Royals top 2 prospects plus a first round pick.

Not even in the same galaxy.

BTW, if you are going say that Anthony Rizzo is unproven, you might not want to turn around and compliment Andrew Cashner for 5 Starts. You're just again proving to be a hypocrite.

And have I ever once called Cashner a proven top of the rotation guy or have I pointed out that he still has a ways to go??

I've said he still has a ways to go?? Yep.

Glad we cleared that up.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish

FWIW, we're all smarter than Phil Rogers.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Exhibit A from KB's Mouth: "Part of that bigger picture that the Theospankfest ignores is the cost of obtaining Rizzo in Andrew Cashner who is pitching extremely well right now." No mention of contracts!

Exhibit B from KB's Mouth: "But they also gave up a nice young piece to get him also. So to me this is still breaking even and not adding. Cashner has a 2.51 ERA in his five starts this year." Again, no mention of contracts.

Jesus you are pathetic.

I've mentioned Rizzo's contract.

If he makes the bare minimum of the $40 odd million, it will be a sucky contract.

If he hits .290ish + with 30+ HR and 100+ RBI's it will be a great contract.

But if they end up paying $7-8M a year for average 1B production, it won't be a great contract.

Cashner is still making probably minimum salary.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Cashner:
Home games: 1.08 ERA. .207 BA against. 1.02 WHIP 16.2 IP
Away games: 4.22 ERA .224 BA against. 1.31 WHIP 21.1 IP

So home cooking pretty good.

The park is going to skew his numbers.

The trade was good for both players. Wriggley is a hitters park. PETCO is a pitchers park.

Don't see the trade being a bad one for either team.

Willrust

Liked Posts:
"A top 10 prospect is miles away from one of the Royals top 2 prospects plus a first round pick.

Not even in the same galaxy."

And who said anything about the Royals #2 prospect and a 1st round pick straight up for DeJesus? Nobody!!! Damn, have you been experiencing seizures lately, cause your memory is turning to shit!

And have I ever once called Cashner a proven top of the rotation guy or have I pointed out that he still has a ways to go?? You mentioned that Cashner has top of the rotation stuff; and took a shit all over Rizzo. You give Cashner credit for 5 good starts, then say that Rizzo's stats since he has been with the Cubs aren't enough to believe he has been a solid player. Shit, you still think the Cubs got screwed in the Marshall deal with the Reds; don't you! Go ahead, say something positive about Travis Wood. I know you have it in you somewhere.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
And who said anything about the Royals #2 prospect and a 1st round pick straight up for DeJesus? Nobody!!! Damn, have you been experiencing seizures lately, cause your memory is turning to shit!

Like Darwin fucking Barney included in the deal makes any difference at all.

Your trade idea was dumb. Very, very, very dumb.

And have I ever once called Cashner a proven top of the rotation guy or have I pointed out that he still has a ways to go?? You mentioned that Cashner has top of the rotation stuff; and took a shit all over Rizzo. You give Cashner credit for 5 good starts, then say that Rizzo's stats since he has been with the Cubs aren't enough to believe he has been a solid player. Shit, you still think the Cubs got screwed in the Marshall deal with the Reds; don't you! Go ahead, say something positive about Travis Wood. I know you have it in you somewhere.

I haven't shit all over Rizzo.

I provided the FACTS that the second half of last season he was one of the worst producing regular 1B in baseball. But you ignore the message because of the messenger.

I provided the FACTS that Cashner has been an above average production player when healthy and added that he still has a ways to go in his develop, that he needs to pitch deeper into games and cut down his walks. Again you ignore the message because of the messenger.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Here just so everyone has the numbers:

Did you include anywhere in your numbers that by the time Prince was the same age as Rizzo, he already had a 50 HR season in the majors??

Let it Fucking Go. The Tigers couldnt win the World Series by adding Prince Fielder so what makes you think the Cubs would have won a WS by adding Fielder?

And btw I'm willing to bet you that the Tigers dont win the WS this year.

Yeah but they GOT to the World Series last year and they look like the best team in the AL again this year and have a great shot at making the World Series again.

There is more to success than just winning the World Series.

Only snot nosed punks think the only level of success is winning the World Series and everything else is a failure.

I'd take a Cubs trip to the World Series in a heartbeat, even if they lost.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Don't see the trade being a bad one for either team.

I dont see the trade as being a gain for either team though.

Each team traded a piece for a different piece. It is a net wash.

Chris J

Chris Jelinek
Liked Posts:
Did you include anywhere in your numbers that by the time Prince was the same age as Rizzo, he already had a 50 HR season in the majors??

Yeah but they GOT to the World Series last year and they look like the best team in the AL again this year and have a great shot at making the World Series again.

There is more to success than just winning the World Series.

Only snot nosed punks think the only level of success is winning the World Series and everything else is a failure.

I'd take a Cubs trip to the World Series in a heartbeat, even if they lost.

1. Who cares what Fielder did when he was 23 or 24? We are talking about the present day. So that statement is just useless
2. Did you comment on any of my other stats that I provided? NOPE
3. And go ask the Tigers and their fans if they are content with losing in the World Series? Highly doubt they are. I'd honestly rather not go to the World series and lose.
4. They have a great shot at making the WS because they have Miguel Cabrera, Justin Verlander, Anibal, and Austin Jackson as well. Who do we have? Castro? Soriano? Garza?

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
1. Who cares what Fielder did when he was 23 or 24? We are talking about the present day. So that statement is just useless

Gotcha. It is only relevant to Rizzo cause he is still developing, but doesn't matter that other players put up far superior numbers at the same age as the supposed franchise 1B of the future??

2. Did you comment on any of my other stats that I provided? NOPE

I'll comment on the numbers at the end of the year.

Idiots like you were running their mouths at this point of the season about how smart the Cubs were having Bryan LaHair at 1B over Fielder at first.

3. And go ask the Tigers and their fans if they are content with losing in the World Series? Highly doubt they are. I'd honestly rather not go to the World series and lose.

I would imagine that they are more content losing in the World Series than if they lost 100 games.

So you would rather lose 100 games than go to the World Series and lose?

That is about the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

4. They have a great shot at making the WS because they have Miguel Cabrera, Justin Verlander, Anibal, and Austin Jackson as well. Who do we have? Castro? Soriano? Garza?

That is because they have been aggressive and done a silly little thing called doing everything possible to field the best team in the majors while working on developing their farm system and not just sitting back hoping to catch lightning in a bottle that the system develops enough pieces all at the same time to be competitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.