Sources: Expect Cubs to spend next winter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris J

Chris Jelinek
Liked Posts:
1. I was talking about age for the sake of what's best for the Cubs in the future. The plan is to win in the future by building on corner stone players. they think Rizzo is a corner stone. If you dont like that then go root for someone else. If you think its smarter to spend $20million+ on one guy to build a franchise around then go get a job in baseball.

2. Don't associate me with others opinion of LaHair when you dont know what I thought

3. The end result in both cases is disappointment.

4. You were sure insistent on evaluating Rizzo on two months of play at the end of last year so why are you so reluctant to judge him on his numbers so far this year? Thats a little hypocritical isnt it?

5. A strong MLB team with a strong farm system was a result of many bad years in Detroit.

6. Your arguments are so bad becasue youre hypocritical about everything.

7. Rizzo had a fight through cancer. He had time away from baseball. So what if that never happened and he debuted a couple years ago, he could have 50 HRs.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
A Cub fan saying they'd rather lose 100 games than win close to 100.

Ain't that something :thinking:

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
3. The end result in both cases is disappointment.

Dumbest thing ever said.

A 100 loss season is disappointing for at least six months.

Losing the World Series is disappointing for 4 games after months and months of watching great baseball.

Nothing more you ever say about the game of baseball should be taking seriously by anyone, anywhere

Chris J

Chris Jelinek
Liked Posts:
A simple avoidance of me making you look dumb

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Any fan who would rather lose games than make the playoffs is not only a stupid fan, that's a terrible fan.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
Any fan who would rather lose games than make the playoffs is not only a stupid fan, that's a terrible fan.

Refer to my post about the Sixers, sometimes it's better to lose a year then be stuck as an 8 seed with no hope of advancing.

Chris J

Chris Jelinek
Liked Posts:
Id rather have 8 years of consistent success than 3 years of success of 5 of average

Chris J

Chris Jelinek
Liked Posts:
Dumbest thing ever said.

A 100 loss season is disappointing for at least six months.

Losing the World Series is disappointing for 4 games after months and months of watching great baseball.

Nothing more you ever say about the game of baseball should be taking seriously by anyone, anywhere

Losing in the World Series would cause me a lot more heart brake then knowing we dont have a chance. Just saying.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think anyone would rather lose than miss the playoffs. I think the issue I have raised is that I doubted that the moves suggested would have given this team a significant chance at making the playoffs last year or this year. The debate that I have engaged with many is the relative worth of a 80 loss, 90 loss, and 100 loss season.

Refer to my post about the Sixers, sometimes it's better to lose a year then be stuck as an 8 seed with no hope of advancing.

Baseball is not basketball though where the eighth seed has no reasonable chance of toppling teams with multiple superstars. Wildcard winners routinely make deep runs into the postseason, and so I want to make the playoffs as consistently as possible in the near future.

Last edited:

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Id rather have 8 years of consistent success than 3 years of success of 5 of average

No, you said you'd rather lose 100 games than lose in the playoffs.

For a fan of a team that hasn't made the World Series since WWII, that is a stupid statement. I would much rather have a chance at a World Series than lose 100 games. Hell, even the Bulls are where they were this past season, and people wanted them to tank, I don't believe in that crap. That seems to be the attitude of the bottom-feeders that are in perpetual rebuild in pro-sports. Whether or not Theo was genuine about the goal of winning the World Series this past year, I don't know or care, but it seems that he at least wants to win. Whether or not I agree with pieces of his plan is another story.

Tl;dr

Fans wanting to tank are stupid.

Just one World Series is all I ask, apparently that's too much for some Cub "fans" to want.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think anyone would rather lose than miss the playoffs. I think the issue I have raised is that I doubted that the moves suggested would have given this team a significant chance at making the playoffs last year or this year. The debate that I have egaged with many is the relative worth of a 80 loss, 90 loss, and 100 loss season.

Yeah Chris is a little out thre on that one. Making the playoffs is nice, it's just when you're stuck as the last seed and don't have a real chance of advancing every year is when it's pointless. I'd rather lose the World Series then lose the season completely.

Baseball is not basketball though where the eighth seed has no reasonable chance of toppling teams with multiple superstars. Wildcard winners routinely make deep runs into the postseason, and so I want to make the playoffs as consistently as possible in the near future.

I'm referring to K saying that he'd rather be at 500 or in the hunt for the playoffs every year and stuck in mediocrity instead of blowing it up for a year or so then instead of being mediocre you break past what you were. Sometimes you have to go down to go up.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm referring to K saying that he'd rather be at 500 or in the hunt for the playoffs every year and stuck in mediocrity instead of blowing it up for a year or so then instead of being mediocre you break past what you were. Sometimes you have to go down to go up.

Yeah, but I still want the Cubs to win every game they can regardless.

Having the mentality that its OK to lose isn't something I believe Theo has in in his heart of hearts.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, but I still want the Cubs to win every game they can regardless.

Having the mentality that its OK to lose isn't something I believe Theo has in in his heart of hearts.

I have never said it is OK to lose. I hate losing with a passion. When I struck out to end a game I snapped throwing a tantrum because I had a chance to maybe win the game or give the team a shot to tie and I didn't. So I hate losing. But, when it comes to the Cubs, I'm so used to them being mediocre that I'd rather them tank until they can get the pieces to be legit contenders instead of winning the division for 2 years and getting swept out of the first round. Being at 500 or swept out of the first both are shitty endings in my book. When K comments on how I don't mind us tanking it's because I understand that we were stuck in mediocrity and sometimes it's a matter of goinog down so that you can go up in the end.

Chris J

Chris Jelinek
Liked Posts:
Never said I didnt want to win a World Series. Goodbye Fisch. Get a social life away from this forum

patg006

Liked Posts:
Losing in the World Series would cause me a lot more heart brake then knowing we dont have a chance. Just saying.

Losing the world series implies this team is good. Knowing we dont have a chance implies the opposite.

Heartbreak? Sure. But Ill take that loss on my deathbed over lamenting a shitty team with no chance.....

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
People aren't really talking about him but, I think Jon Lester would be a great pickup for the Cubs if the Red Sox decline his club option for 2014. I hope they bring back Matt Garza as well if he is not traded during this season.

1. Matt Garza
2. Jon Lester
3. Jeff Samardzija
4. Edwin Jackson
5. Travis Wood

That's a pretty good pitching rotation.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:

Duh.

Everyone would.

But it is very rare that actually happens, and there is no guarantee no matter how much you want to believe there is, that by deliberately throwing away seasons will lead to that 8 years of consistent success.

That is the one minor, itsy bitsy, no, massive really, the size of Godzilla, detail you are clearly incapable of understanding.

If there was a guarantee that throwing away these two seasons would lead to 8 years of 90+ wins I wouldn't need to waste time educating people like you. I'd log off the message boards for two years since there would be nothing to talking about and come back for the start of the 90+ win seasons.

Sadly, it doesn't work that way junior.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
I think the issue I have raised is that I doubted that the moves suggested would have given this team a significant chance at making the playoffs last year or this year. The debate that I have engaged with many is the relative worth of a 80 loss, 90 loss, and 100 loss season.

It doesn't matter if the moves make a significant chance, as long as it gives the team a .1% better chance at making the playoffs, and doesn't mean the team will lose money, you make the move.

This is professional sports. It is entire about the present. What have you done for me lately.

You know why Cub fans are mocked for their stupidity? A large reason is the phrase "Wait For Next Year". Originated by Brooklyn Dodger fans but adopted by Cub fans. That has been the mantra of Cub fans for a long time. Cub fans have been mocked for their complacency and willingness to wait for next year. But now suddenly the smart thing to do is, not just wait for next year, but wait for 4-5 years from now? Really??

Last edited:

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think the issue I have raised is that I doubted that the moves suggested would have given this team a significant chance at making the playoffs last year or this year. The debate that I have engaged with many is the relative worth of a 80 loss, 90 loss, and 100 loss season.TE

It doesn't matter if the moves make a significant chance, as long as it gives the team a .1% better chance at making the playoffs, and doesn't mean the team will lose money, you make the move.

This is professional sports. It is entire about the present. What have you done for me lately.

You know why Cub fans are mocked for their stupidity? A large reason is the phrase "Wait For Next Year". Originated by Brooklyn Dodger fans but adopted by Cub fans. That has been the mantra of Cub fans for a long time. Cub fans have been mocked for their complacency and willingness to wait for next year. But now suddenly the smart thing to do is, not just wait for next year, but wait for 4-5 years from now? Really??
No team has ever made moves for the future that paid off? Only the present ever matters in sports? Seems pretty myopic to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.