Sources: Expect Cubs to spend next winter

Status
Not open for further replies.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Mike Ditka: I don't believe in living in the past. Living in the past is for cowards. If you live in the past, you die in the past
:ditka:

i see alot of people given epstein way too much credit on here along with giving him way too much crap..

year one was spent unloading contracts and gaining minor league prospects..

year two looks to be establishing some core players for the future roster.. castro, rizzo, castillo, samardzija, wood ( Appel, bryant, or gray )

what i expect from year three.. a few more long term core players added to roster via draft, system, trade, FA

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/stor...ubs-continue-pursue-free-agent-prince-fielder

There's your fucking published report!

Queue the inevitable, "Bruce Levin is a hack" responses. I mean fucking really, did some of you really think the Cubs never even did their due diligence with Fielder?

Do you really think that a 5 year deal and more money per year is due diligence to one of the top two free agents on the market in 2012? They knew exactly what it would take to sign him if they wanted to sign him. They didn't.

Judging by everything truthful that is coming out of Command Central, I find it very hard to believe that if they have truly spent every dollar on the team itself, that they would have any room in the budget for Fielder at 12 million per year, let alone 30 million.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Mike Ditka: I don't believe in living in the past. Living in the past is for cowards. If you live in the past, you die in the past
:ditka:

i see alot of people given epstein way too much credit on here along with giving him way too much crap..

year one was spent unloading contracts and gaining minor league prospects..

year two looks to be establishing some core players for the future roster.. castro, rizzo, castillo, samardzija, wood ( Appel, bryant, or gray )

what i expect from year three.. a few more long term core players added to roster via draft, system, trade, FA

Basically this.

CherokeeReds

Liked Posts:
Theo and them arent the devil. People with this whole Theo and them do nothing wrong and Theo and them doing everything wrong is an old talk. ... I understand Rizzo has a long way to go to be Fielder, but get over them not signing him.

Silence, you're just making too much sense today. Good post.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Another thought. Sorry to interrupt the Rizzo debate. I was looking over the Schedule. Garza is slotted to start thurs. Fri they go into a 3 game set against a cold NYM. Off day. Garza's next start would fall on Tue after the off day on Monday. Logical day to plug him into the rotation. So that puts Villenueva out of the rotation now. Small wonders. So looking over the rest of the month the only hard series is vs Cin. Going into next month they have a 4 game vs STL and a 4 game vs Cin. Rest of the series are winnable. Now this might be early but with the way the staff is ATM and Villenueva most likely plugged into long relief. My question could by Jul find themselves over .500. And if so would that make them buyers? Looking at it and seeing the play and a Garza boost this may force Theo to buy a bat. Food for thought

I thought about it. The offense has shown surprising power with Soriano not really doing a whole lot of it. If they could walk more and hit better with RISP this team can stay with teams. The problem is Wood and Feldman are due for regression. But, Jackson should improve and Garza is better than Villanueva by far. The offense does what I said then they could hover around there. I doubt they make a move though. They arent going to be willing to give up much on the farm and other teams will pursue harder. I also dont think the guys we are willing to trade are going to net much so its a catch-22. If any kind of move is made. I dont think it would be a big time move unless it was for someone they could lock down as a core player.

Willrust

Liked Posts:
Another thought. Sorry to interrupt the Rizzo debate. I was looking over the Schedule. Garza is slotted to start thurs. Fri they go into a 3 game set against a cold NYM. Off day. Garza's next start would fall on Tue after the off day on Monday. Logical day to plug him into the rotation. So that puts Villenueva out of the rotation now. Small wonders. So looking over the rest of the month the only hard series is vs Cin. Going into next month they have a 4 game vs STL and a 4 game vs Cin. Rest of the series are winnable. Now this might be early but with the way the staff is ATM and Villenueva most likely plugged into long relief. My question could by Jul find themselves over .500. And if so would that make them buyers? Looking at it and seeing the play and a Garza boost this may force Theo to buy a bat. Food for thought

I would say that there are certain minor league players that the Cubs would trade away in exchange for a proven bat if they are in contention. However, you would have to look at what positions the Cubs could upgrade offensively (2B, 3B & RF are logical spots) and you have to find teams that will likely not be in contention by mid July.

The Cubs may make a push for Utley (Cubs could include 2B replacement in Darwin Barney/Logan Watkins along with one top 10 prospect like Brett Jackson/Matt Szczur for a 1/2 year rental).

As for 3B, the most logical trade would be for Headley; however, he would likely cost the Cubs 1 top 5 prospect, an additional top 10 prospect and most likely another top 30 prospect. The Cubs would also need to come to an extension agreement with Headley, otherwise trading all of those prospects for him would be illogical.

Looking at RF, one name that could fit is Alexis Rios. He is under control through 2015 (has a 2015 club option). Although he would likely cost the Cubs a haul similar to Headley.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
If any kind of move is made. I dont think it would be a big time move unless it was for someone they could lock down as a core player.

they will look to move guys like soriano and marmol along with others like dejesus that could net them some pieces for the system..
and they would only move pieces from the system if it will net them a core player as silence says that they know will be around for a few years..

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Kinda did a mock up. I'm expecting STL to be around 57 wins by the ASB. Pit and Cin I'm guessing around 51-52 wins. Cubs would have to go 9-5 for this month. A crazy 18-9 June Sori on fire with every thing the same this may be feasible. July they would have to win 7-5 before the break. All in theory but looking at each teams match ups could fall into this situation. Now mind you I would love for this to happen. Not saying as a fan boy or a Theo suck off moment......but the fact that the Ricketts will be forced to add and the whole making the team to sell blows up in their faces.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
As for 3B, the most logical trade would be for Headley; however, he would likely cost the Cubs 1 top 5 prospect, an additional top 10 prospect and most likely another top 30 prospect. The Cubs would also need to come to an extension agreement with Headley, otherwise trading all of those prospects for him would be illogical.
I would trade Baez if Headley was hot at that point and the Pads were sellers. I'd give them junk with him as Baez is top 20. Again this is just to force the ownerships hand and to force the urgency to win. Headley makes sense and can be extended. It forces a Garza extension. Honestly this is the situation that the fan base needs. Winning and forcing the ownership's hand to buy vs letting them sell off contract. Again just in theory and they have to play the games. Still would love it to play out this way.

patg006

Liked Posts:
I would trade Baez if Headley was hot at that point and the Pads were sellers. I'd give them junk with him as Baez is top 20. Again this is just to force the ownerships hand and to force the urgency to win. Headley makes sense and can be extended. It forces a Garza extension. Honestly this is the situation that the fan base needs. Winning and forcing the ownership's hand to buy vs letting them sell off contract. Again just in theory and they have to play the games. Still would love it to play out this way.

Before we jump to conclusions, the next couple weeks of Mutts, Chisox, Reds, Pirates, and DBacks should be telling after that record. If teh cubs come out shining--then I can start to believe they can be buyers.

However, I wont believe it till I see it. A couple guys are hot right now, and the optimism is fresh for a change, which is good.....i guess i can be half full about a 85-90 loss team after a 100 loss team.

Thinking these guys will be hot in a month is foolish. They look great one day then get shut down by Jeff Francis the next. Jeff fucking Francis.....There's still a ways to go...

Chris J

Chris Jelinek
Liked Posts:
Quit acting like a 23 year old who was very below average the entire second half of last season is a franchise player.

#Theospankfest

Go home. you're drunk.

Last edited:

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
What spankfest? You just wont let go of one signing.

The spankfest of overvaluing what Rizzo has done so far. Even you have said he was impressive his whole time in Chicago when he was actually one of the worst regular 1B in the majors the entire second half of the season last year.

This year:

Rizzo: .270 BA, 9 homers, 28 RBI's .339 OBP, .852 OPS with much better defense then Fielder

Fielder: .285 BA, 9 Homers, 33 RBI's, .415 OBP, .963 OPS

This is before todays games where Fielder did not have a good day and Rizzo is 2 for 3 with a walk and a RBI.

And how many idiots at this point of the season last year were putting up the stats on how LaHair was outperforming both Pujols and Fielder??

How did that turn out?

How dumb did those people end up looking?

Don't be those people.

You look at one thing and not the bigger picture.

I am looking completely at the bigger picture.

Part of that bigger picture that the Theospankfest ignores is the cost of obtaining Rizzo in Andrew Cashner who is pitching extremely well right now. Yes he still has work to do to improve, but there is all this crap about the great team building that is going on and I am illustrating how there isn't much of it going on.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/stor...ubs-continue-pursue-free-agent-prince-fielder

There's your fucking published report!

Queue the inevitable, "Bruce Levin is a hack" responses. I mean fucking really, did some of you really think the Cubs never even did their due diligence with Fielder?

Yawn.

You mean the published report that Dale Sveum said the team's interest in Fielder was mostly "media talk" and that the Cubs had NEVER EVEN TALKED TO FIELDER??

Which was also confirmed by a MLB Source?

The last paragraph of the article says IF the Cubs offer him a 4-5 year offer.

Did you even actually read the article or just look at the headline?

Nowhere in the article does it even state the Cubs had talked to Boras or presented an offer.

But this is your great proof of the great lengths the Cubs went to try and sign Fielder??

You are an idiot.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
I thought about it. The offense has shown surprising power with Soriano not really doing a whole lot of it. If they could walk more and hit better with RISP this team can stay with teams.

The team is still 22nd in runs scored. The offense still sucks.

I mean every team if they would walk more and hit better with RISP would do better.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
they will look to move guys like soriano and marmol along with others like dejesus that could net them some pieces for the system..
and they would only move pieces from the system if it will net them a core player as silence says that they know will be around for a few years..

What exactly do you think they will get for Soriano, Marmol and DeJesus????

You will get nothing but organizational filler for them. No one likely to become an impact player at the major league level.

It would just be another step backwards at the major league level.

Of course they could have had Dan Haren.............

Willrust

Liked Posts:
Yawn.

You mean the published report that Dale Sveum said the team's interest in Fielder was mostly "media talk" and that the Cubs had NEVER EVEN TALKED TO FIELDER??

Which was also confirmed by a MLB Source?

The last paragraph of the article says IF the Cubs offer him a 4-5 year offer.

Did you even actually read the article or just look at the headline?

Nowhere in the article does it even state the Cubs had talked to Boras or presented an offer.

But this is your great proof of the great lengths the Cubs went to try and sign Fielder??

You are an idiot.

And now we know that you didn't read the entire article, otherwise you would have read this little nugget:

The sides began preliminary negotiations on Nov. 15 at Major League Baseball's general managers meetings in Milwaukee and the sources confirmed that the two sides have continued to talk since that initial meeting.

They had negotiations from November 15th to the end of December! That would be due diligence to me. They most likely gave a December 31st cutoff for a deal and when it didn't come to fruition...THEY MOVED THE FUCK ON.

You and your crony have been all over Cub management for "leaking" trade information regarding Dempster & Marmol; and now you are all up in arms because they have never disclosed their efforts to sign Prince Fielder. There is a word for that. It is 3 syllables. It's an action that you perform on this board habitually.

As to Sveum's comments in December I point to:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ycn-10476029

Read carefully; "Prince and I have a great relationship. I love Prince to death. It would be nice to have him at first base because of what he brings to the table every single day."

If I have a great relationship with someone that I "love to death," I would probably call him or meet with him at some point if my team has a massive hole at 1B. Most likely, Sveum got tired of all the talk about Prince Fielder and believed completely writing it off would be the best way to end the constant barrage of Fielder questions.

Willrust

Liked Posts:
What exactly do you think they will get for Soriano, Marmol and DeJesus????

You will get nothing but organizational filler for them. No one likely to become an impact player at the major league level.

It would just be another step backwards at the major league level.

Of course they could have had Dan Haren.............

Well, there are some baseball people that have said that DeJesus alone could net an organizations top 10 prospect. You seem to think the world of Soriano based upon your posts and his 30 HR & 100 RBI production capabilities. Why wouldn't that be worth a decent prospect? As to Marmol, his value is tied to how he pitches from here on. A playoff contender that needs bullpen help would not hang up the phone if the Cubs called about Marmol. Would he net the Cubs a great prospect, nope. But he could net a top 20 prospect.

BTW, if you are going say that Anthony Rizzo is unproven, you might not want to turn around and compliment Andrew Cashner for 5 Starts. You're just again proving to be a hypocrite.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
The team is still 22nd in runs scored. The offense still sucks.

I mean every team if they would walk more and hit better with RISP would do better.

They are 5th to last with RISP and 7thto last in walks. Yes, every team would do better, but that is there biggest area of need. Thats the point.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
The spankfest of overvaluing what Rizzo has done so far. Even you have said he was impressive his whole time in Chicago when he was actually one of the worst regular 1B in the majors the entire second half of the season last year.

And how many idiots at this point of the season last year were putting up the stats on how LaHair was outperforming both Pujols and Fielder??

How did that turn out?

How dumb did those people end up looking?

Don't be those people.

I am looking completely at the bigger picture.

Part of that bigger picture that the Theospankfest ignores is the cost of obtaining Rizzo in Andrew Cashner who is pitching extremely well right now. Yes he still has work to do to improve, but there is all this crap about the great team building that is going on and I am illustrating how there isn't much of it going on.

To compare LaHair to Rizzo or Fielder is foolish considering he was 29 last year and a AAAA player. Rizzo isnt a AAAA player and is 23.

Rizzo had one bad month when his OPS was under .840. It was actually in the .640's. Thats what dropped his OPS so much last year

August of last year: .252 BA, .300 OBP, 2 Homeruns, .642 OPS

September of last year: .292, .375, 5 homers, .866 OPS

July of last year: .330, .375, 7 homers, .942 OPS.

May of this year: .224, .315, 8 homers, .846

April of this year: .368, .410, 1 homer, .919 OPS

He had one really bad month since he has been up and one month where his average wasnt great but his OPS was still respectable. You are basing your whole argument on one month. I said Rizzo has a long way to go to become Fielder but you act like he is trash. Even, if he has hot streaks. Soriano has lived off of those his whole career. You dont have a problem with him.

You have to give up something to get something. to get Fielder would have took a monster contract. That would tie up money for the ACE the Cubs desperately need in the next couple of years. The Cubs will never be the Yankees. Thats ok. Yes, they need to act like a big market club but Fielder is in the past. O and as much as I like Cashner. He is about to get lit up. His 3.79 walks per game is eventually going to catch up to him. I want Cashner to succeed, but he has been a bit lucky.

patg006

Liked Posts:
Well, there are some baseball people that have said that DeJesus alone could net an organizations top 10 prospect. You seem to think the world of Soriano based upon your posts and his 30 HR & 100 RBI production capabilities. Why wouldn't that be worth a decent prospect? As to Marmol, his value is tied to how he pitches from here on. A playoff contender that needs bullpen help would not hang up the phone if the Cubs called about Marmol. Would he net the Cubs a great prospect, nope. But he could net a top 20 prospect.

BTW, if you are going say that Anthony Rizzo is unproven, you might not want to turn around and compliment Andrew Cashner for 5 Starts. You're just again proving to be a hypocrite.

DeJesus will NOT net a top 10 prospect. On a good team he's still a 4th outfielder.

Soriano is worth more to the cubs to stay. Nobody will give up a good prospect, and its not worth unloading him and paying 9/10 of his salary for a B-B+ prospect at best. We arent getting Dylan Bundy like return for Soriano.....

A playoff contender would hear Marmol's name and say 'no thanks' to put it nicely--they should have gotten Haren. Kevin Gregg however, if he stays hot is a different story.....James Russell would be another name teams chase.

Andrew Cashner wasnt handed a 7 year, 41 million dollar deal with fantastic incentives. Rizzo got one. That's what boyd was referring to. Dont strawman a point you cant counter.....

Status
Not open for further replies.