1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Choo will be 3rd-Year Arb Eligible after this season, Earliest Free Agent: 2014 if im reading it right..

im guessing its either or, depending on what the astros do.. of course the astros can throw a curve and draft som1 else..
but i think the cubs go with the arm if he available first or the big bat if appel gets taken..

Forgetting Gray, huh?

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Hunter Pence

It is bad enough having to watch the Cubs lose 100 games.

The only thing worse would be having to watch a team lose 100 games with a RF who throws like a girl.

I swear to god if the Cubs sign Hunter Pence, I am kicking someone square in the balls.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Choo will be 3rd-Year Arb Eligible after this season, Earliest Free Agent: 2014 if im reading it right..
I'm pretty sure this season is Choo's third year of arbitration and that he will be a free agent heading into 2014.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't want Ellsbury. He's already 30-years old and way too injury prone. I would only sign Ellsbury to a 2-year contract with a PO. That's all, but I bet he gets a bigger contract.

One reason I do believe Kaplan is Theo and Jed know Ellsbury from there time in Boston.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Cano somehow hits market would love for Cubs to overpay for him. Im also not fan of Ellsbury. He had 1 good year in the MLB. Hurt way to much. OF i really like to see in Cubs uni next year is Choo. If they somehow got Choo and Cano this offseason would have to think that makes them contenders with couple of bullpen arms that work out. Bullpen is the hardest thing to build. RP are yearly base type of players.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Interesting article. I'd hold back until after the draft before making too many predictions though. If they draft Appel I would hope they go into the deadline selling off their short term deals and make a big play for Headley. At that point the needs in the offseason become rounding off a roster with a core in place vs going into it trying to buy a core with a lack of depth available. Which causes the prices to over inflate. They are better off extending/ trading then using F/A last.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
If Cano somehow hits market would love for Cubs to overpay for him. Im also not fan of Ellsbury. He had 1 good year in the MLB. Hurt way to much. OF i really like to see in Cubs uni next year is Choo. If they somehow got Choo and Cano this offseason would have to think that makes them contenders with couple of bullpen arms that work out. Bullpen is the hardest thing to build. RP are yearly base type of players.

Going to need a bit more than that bro

mountsalami

Liked Posts:

I don't believe the term "overpay" is fair. Cano would bring plenty of revenue to the Cubs to foot his bill. It would be a win/win for both sides.

I would love to see what even ONE superstar bat can do to help this line-up.

The bullpen isn't the hardest thing to build. In fact, it's probably one of the easiest parts of the team to fill.

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
Much rather wait it out for two more years until the prospects are ready then throwing a bunch of money at a couple quick fixes.

Its Kaplan. He is a mis-informed flake, anywho.

Crust

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:

guy_fieri_march12.jpg

Crust

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Forgetting Gray, huh?

no, just going with a feeling that they will either go with the starter thats major league ready now ( appel ) or the big bat 3Bmen that they need now

I'm pretty sure this season is Choo's third year of arbitration and that he will be a free agent heading into 2014.

you and silence are correct..

Kaplan with his sources have been right 99.9% of the time, so i will trust what he says more then some others when he mentions his sources tells him something..

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
I would love to see what even ONE superstar bat can do to help this line-up.

Salami, you haven't gotten the memo.

Adding Superstars is bad.

Sitting around doing nothing waiting to see IF prospects pan out is good.

It is just amazing how the same people who think adding a couple quality major league players won't do much, but adding a prospect or two instantly makes the team a contender.

Chris J

Chris Jelinek
Liked Posts:
Hamilton and Pujols... no playoffs. Where is your proof?

Chris J

Chris Jelinek
Liked Posts:
Hamilton, Pujols, Wilson

Crawford, Lackey

Reyes, Buehrle

Mets never won by getting Johan

Phillies never won with the Halladay and Lee combo.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Hamilton, Pujols, Wilson

Crawford, Lackey

Reyes, Buehrle

Mets never won by getting Johan

Phillies never won with the Halladay and Lee combo.

And the Rays never won developing prospects alone either.

heck the Pirates and Royals haven't won diddly in my lifetime developing prospects.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
im all for adding quality major league players at a cost..
problem is your rarely rarely rarely going to see an over the top bat or arm sign with a team ( all money and yrs being somewhat equal ) that needs more then their arm or bat to compete for a playoff spot. most of those players would rather sign if money and yrs are somewhat equal with a team already in position to win..
angels. tigers, dodgers, yankees, redsox, braves, giants..

for the cubs to persuade someone like cano to sign, they will have to show this year that their ready to compete in 2014 and beyond by first extending guys like garza and samardzija and then any deadline deals they make will be mainly towards a piece for 2014, and then their first couple of FA signiings have to be players that will show cano they are ready to win in 2014.. they have to do all that and then be willing to offer him 10 yrs and close to 30 mil just to get his interest over teams like above that have the money and a team ready to win..

chibears55

Liked Posts:

heck the Pirates and Royals haven't won diddly in my lifetime developing prospects.

Rays at least got to the WS with mainly home grown talent and have been able to compete lately with a majority of home grown talent, but that being said you need a good mix of home cooking and then be able to add some key FAs that will / can help put you over the top and the home grown kids can go along ways with keeping you there consistantly ..

also in defense of the pirates and royals, they constantly draft high, they drafted well and occasionally those kids along with some decent trades and AVG FA signings has helped them compete some years BUT because they dont have money they cant hold onto their top prospects when they become stars and thats why they cant compete consistantly..

now if the cubs do this right and strike hot with some of these kids theyve brought in like soler, baez, castro, rizzo, etc they SHOULD ( key word there ) be able to hold onto these kids and pay them when the time comes and they SHOULD be able to sign above AVG, FAs to help put them in playoff competing mode for a while and in world series contention yr after yr

patg006

Liked Posts:

^This

Funny how some fans dont want to acknowledge the obvious......

You forgot the Cards, but I dont think you wanna add insult to a narrow-minded propaganda slurper......

Status
Not open for further replies.