Sox Sign Abreu

Status
Not open for further replies.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Man I hope not. I love the Sox for taking chances like this, but no DH is worth that kind of money. 5-tool talent like Ellsbury? Absolutely.

I was thinking that too. That would be a lot of money for a DH, but I there's a chance he'll stay at 1B. But I think if a player came along that fitted for 1B, he would move to DH.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Seems some teams layed off because they don't think he can hit a major league fastball. This signing is all bat. If he doesn't hit, then yall are screwed because he isn't going to win you a game with speed or defense.

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
There are risks, yes.

BigSoxHurt35

Liked Posts:
Well was just saying fielder plays first Abreu can lol. I'd move Viciedo to 3rd also. Then get another outfielder. Also gota look for a catcher

BigSoxHurt35

Liked Posts:
http://www.csnchicago.com/white-sox-talk/scout-new-white-sox-slugger-abreu-best-pure-hitter-cuba

Scout on new White Sox slugger Abreu: 'Best pure hitter from Cuba'
October 19, 2013, 4:00 pm

Scouts have tended to be divided on their opinions of soon-to-be-White Sox slugger Jose Abreu. Many will tell you the Cuban first baseman, whose record six-year, $68-million deal is pending a physical, isn’t an athlete and is limited to first base or designated hitters.

Others will tell you he’s a great pure hitter while some have concerns about Abreu’s bat speed and holes on the inner-half of his swing.

[RELATED: Sox still could have room for Konerko]

But one American League scout, who admits he’s “all in” on Abreu, likes what he has seen after he consumed as much video as he could find.

On Abreu’s swing: “This guy is the best pure HITTER to come over from Cuba. He also has immense raw power and given his patience and approach, will find a way to use it.”
On Abreu’s character: “He is an ‘excellent’ human being. His wife is a doctor and he is very intelligent. Very, very hard worker and motivated to be the best. You will love interviewing this guy. Immense maturity for a Cuban-born player has a special ‘x-factor’ personality.”
The scout continued: “I expect him to be an above-average hitter from day one and will really surprise some people as he adjusts to the league/culture.”

[ALSO: Hahn: 'Thome won't be Sox hitting coach, but will be a coach one day']

As for what White Sox fans can expect from Abreu, the scout thinks a .270-.290 hitter with 20-plus home runs. “Will drive in a lot of runs and bring a lot of on-base percentage value on top,” he said. “Chance at peak to be a .900-plus OPS guy. Wouldn’t be shocked if he hits .300 with 25-30 homers one year. I know that’s saying a lot, but I’m a big believer in the guy. … Time will tell.”

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
To be honest, there's always risk with a player from out of the US.

BigSoxHurt35

Liked Posts:
Absolutely. Now if we can get a McCann or Salty I'm happy. Would still like to move Viciedo to 3rd and get choo or another outfielder to go with De Aza and Garcia.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Absolutely. Now if we can get a McCann or Salty I'm happy. Would still like to move Viciedo to 3rd and get choo or another outfielder to go with De Aza and Garcia.

choo is ideal for the obp

Status
Not open for further replies.