Sox Very Close to Signing Konerko

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chi Sox Nut

Liked Posts:
Do you know what "regression towards the mean" is?

In statistics, regression toward the mean is the phenomenon that if a variable is extreme on its first measurement, it will tend to be closer to the average on a second measurement, and—a fact that may superficially seem paradoxical—if it is extreme on a second measurement, will tend to have been closer to the average on the first measurement.[1][2][3] To avoid making wrong inferences, the possibility of regression toward the mean must be considered when designing experiments and interpreting experimental, survey, and other empirical data in the physical, life, behavioral and social sciences.

The conditions under which regression toward the mean occurs depend on the way the term is mathematically defined. Sir Francis Galton first observed the phenomenon in the context of simple linear regression of data points. However, a less restrictive approach is possible. Regression towards the mean can be defined for any bivariate distribution with identical marginal distributions. Two such definitions exist.[4] One definition accords closely with the common usage of the term “regression towards the mean”. Not all such bivariate distributions show regression towards the mean under this definition. However, all such bivariate distributions show regression towards the mean under the other definition.
Historically, what is now called regression toward the mean has also been called reversion to the mean and reversion to mediocrity.

Mathematically:
Let X1, X2 be random variables with identical marginal distributions with mean μ. In this formalization, the bivariate distribution of X1 and X2 is said to exhibit reversion toward the mean if, for every number c, we have:

μ ≤ E[X2 | X1 > c] < E[X1 | X1 > c], and
μ ≥ E[X2 | X1 < c] > E[X1 | X1 < c]

This definition is "general" in the sense that every bivariate distribution with identical marginal distributions exhibits reversion toward the mean.

So?

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Orioles are pretty sure Konerko will re-sign with the Sox, and are switching their attention to Derrek Lee.

Relapse

Leddy > Cullimore
Liked Posts:
15 million he wants. fuck him

As much as I respect Paul Konerko and want him back on this team, especially after the phenomenal season he had this year, if that is really his demand than it is time to walk away and look elsewhere. It is almost certain his production is going to decline next year and handing a 35 year old player a contract worth 15 million per season is bad business. I was under the impression that with Jerry opening up the payroll this year allowing Kenny Williams to sign Adam Dunn and Pierzynski taking a hometown discount that Paulie was going to do the same.

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
The Dunn contract really hurts...

:obama:

Not really. If they were going to have that money for Konerko, I much rather give it to Dunn instead and miss out on Konerko.

Honestly, I hope they sign Derrek Lee instead of Konerko.

Last edited:

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
But just from the years, Konerko was better. I'm not saying that Konerko is the better choice because I think Dunn is because he's younger, more power and I think that was a year that Konerko will never go back too.

However, I mean Konerko agent(s) are most likely bringing Dunn's contract up. That's all I'm saying.

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
Konerko doesn't deserve 4 years though. 2 at the most, with a third year team option.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
In statistics, regression toward the mean is the phenomenon that if a variable is extreme on its first measurement, it will tend to be closer to the average on a second measurement, and—a fact that may superficially seem paradoxical—if it is extreme on a second measurement, will tend to have been closer to the average on the first measurement.[1][2][3] To avoid making wrong inferences, the possibility of regression toward the mean must be considered when designing experiments and interpreting experimental, survey, and other empirical data in the physical, life, behavioral and social sciences.

The conditions under which regression toward the mean occurs depend on the way the term is mathematically defined. Sir Francis Galton first observed the phenomenon in the context of simple linear regression of data points. However, a less restrictive approach is possible. Regression towards the mean can be defined for any bivariate distribution with identical marginal distributions. Two such definitions exist.[4] One definition accords closely with the common usage of the term “regression towards the mean”. Not all such bivariate distributions show regression towards the mean under this definition. However, all such bivariate distributions show regression towards the mean under the other definition.
Historically, what is now called regression toward the mean has also been called reversion to the mean and reversion to mediocrity.

Mathematically:
Let X1, X2 be random variables with identical marginal distributions with mean μ. In this formalization, the bivariate distribution of X1 and X2 is said to exhibit reversion toward the mean if, for every number c, we have:

μ ≤ E[X2 | X1 > c] < E[X1 | X1 > c], and
μ ≥ E[X2 | X1 < c] > E[X1 | X1 < c]

This definition is "general" in the sense that every bivariate distribution with identical marginal distributions exhibits reversion toward the mean.

So?

Good. Now that you have all that down, understand that PK had a BABIP of .326 in 2010, and that BABIP is a definite variable in the truest sense of the term. With the mean BABIP being somewhere in the .280-.290 range, we can reasonably expect Konerko's BABIP (and thus, production) to regress somewhat just by the virtue of luck alone, not even considering his age and any regression due to that.

My point is, please stop treating Paul motherfucking Konerko as some baseball demigod that is heads and shoulders above every other baseball player. He's a good player, one who had a career year at age 34...that's not going to happen again, and regression due to both age and luck could make him almost astonishingly overpaid.

Got teeth? Keith doesn't.

JoeHawks is a fine gent
Liked Posts:
Sorry I dont give a 34 soon to be 35 year old 1B 15 mil a year! As much as I love konerko and wan't him back I don't! Id sign Lee to a 1yr deal and go for Pujols. And btw guys Pujols is seeking big money, we can give that to him, with no 1B, Buehrle and Jackson on the books

...Lee?

BigSoxHurt35

Liked Posts:
D Lee of the cubs. Derrick or Derek? I dont know how to spell it lol

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
ozzie jr just tweeted "fuck" for what ever that is worth

Status
Not open for further replies.