Spring Training

CSF77

Liked Posts:
  • Speaking of youngsters attempting to learn the infield, Cubs manager Craig Counsell recently indicated to reporters, including Meghan Montemurro of the Chicago Tribune, that slugger Christopher Morel is set to primarily focus on getting reps at third base this spring. Morel, 25 in June, slashed an impressive .247/.313/.508 in 429 trips to the plate last year while slugging 26 home runs in just 107 games. Most of that production, however, came out of the DH spot in the lineup. Morel’s rookie 2022 campaign saw him split time between second base, third base, shortstop, and center field though he struggled at every position except second, where the Cubs have Gold Glover Nico Hoerner as an everyday option. The Cubs previously seemed poised to rely on a combination of Nick Madrigal and Miles Mastrobuoni at third base, though if Morel can prove himself capable of regular reps at third base he could open the DH spot for an additional bat via free agency or for the club to use as a way to rest regulars.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
With Jed's track record I would expect Wisdom and Mervis platooning DH and Madgril and Vazquez doing UI.

Resigning Bellinger only happens if Cody takes a 1 plus 2 option years that he controls.

Now Morel at 3B has a train wreck feel about it. But if they are committed to it I hope they hire a GG level 3B like Mike Schmidt to give him pointers.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Madrigal working with Morel to teach him to play better 3b. Considering everyone thought Madrigal would be a disaster there I like this pairing, gotta have faith that a big leaguer can learn how to field better.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Madrigal working with Morel to teach him to play better 3b. Considering everyone thought Madrigal would be a disaster there I like this pairing, gotta have faith that a big leaguer can learn how to field better.

Most were making the plays except Wisdom. Stone hands were in play. But hitting wise Wisdom is going the other direction with power so he is not just a pull hitter.

Over all this team is not bad. Going as is I feel that they will get there but it will take a year.

I expect PCA, Canario and Davis in AAA getting full time play at the start of the season. Playing sporadically will not help them.

So Iowa could look like

PCA CF
Vazquez SS
Mervis 1B
Canario LF
Caissie DH
Davis RF
BJ Murry 3B
Bote 2B
Alfaro C

On the roster I would expect Journeymen in lesser roles.

Shaw shot up in his first year. I expect most of the season at Tenn. His success I feel was due to the competition and he was bouncing up so fast that teams could not get a proper read on him. Sitting in Tenn should help his development.

Horton I expect at Tenn for a cup then to Iowa around June. Sept we can expect a look if he is progressing and healthy.

Wicks is a lock. Brown and Kilian I expect in Iowa again. Neither have proven to be dominate at that level.

2023:

Wicks 3.82 ERA 33 IP 1.18 WHIP
Brown 5.33 ERA 72.2 IP 1.53 WHIP
Kilian 4.56 ERA 120 IP 1.32 WHIP

So looking at the 3 you see who was the most accomplished and got the opportunity. ERA and WHIP are a big deal when you look at SP.

On Horton he did not get a invite as a non roster. His numbers are crazy good 2.65 ERA 88 IP 1.00 WHIP. So he has ace level make up but I believe that this will not be a rush job to the majors. The non invite shows not in the plans this year and that is hype created by outside sources. But those numbers force change. So Jed might ended up forced into decisions.

Last edited:

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Who the hell reads these long winded posts?

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Ever wonder why only 15% of your posts are acknowledged? It's a message board, dimwit. Get with the plan.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
I like the guy's content even if most here choose to shit-talk it down, it's not like there are many other reliable and available sources.

We don't want another @KBIB sitch where the content providers get chased off

This is a Cubs board, I and many of you were born into this and destined to suffer near-endless losing, we must accept company within the misery,

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I like the guy's content even if most here choose to shit-talk it down, it's not like there are many other reliable and available sources.

We don't want another @KBIB sitch where the content providers get chased off

This is a Cubs board, I and many of you were born into this and destined to suffer near-endless losing, we must accept company within the misery,
I agree completely about @KBIB, who was quite knowledgeable....not the same at all here. The guy here is wrong about most things....usually just throwing shit against the wall hoping something sticks.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
I try not to yuck on someone else's yum. It seems CSFF enjoys his walls of text and has the time and energy for it.
I used to do extensive blogging on the Cubs and using my programming skills to analzys stats, but life got too bust when I had kids and can't do that anymore, lol.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Mmm. Na I just post how I see things.

I started this thread to post some spring training clips so we can see some of the unknowns in action.

At the end of the day most of us really don't know much about what is happening or what direction they're going. So I wanted to veer away from that in general and see what we got going on.

On a side note I feel that Boras has been blackballed in general by the owners. So there's probably some collusion going on. You can say hey the same thing about Trevor Bauer also. He was cleared of all wrongdoing but because of his history of calling out major league baseball this is his payback.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Mmm. Na I just post how I see things.

I started this thread to post some spring training clips so we can see some of the unknowns in action.

At the end of the day most of us really don't know much about what is happening or what direction they're going. So I wanted to veer away from that in general and see what we got going on.

On a side note I feel that Boras has been blackballed in general by the owners. So there's probably some collusion going on. You can say hey the same thing about Trevor Bauer also. He was cleared of all wrongdoing but because of his history of calling out major league baseball this is his payback.
what has happened to Bauer is unfortunate for sure. if the cubs needed a SP, id be all for bringing him in...but they dont

CSF77

Liked Posts:
He said league min plus incentive. One of the podcast on the Cubs that I follow has been banging on the can about it to get to bring them in but this is collusion 100%.

I mean is he a dick head Yes He's done some pretty douchy shit over the years. But people learn and you have a short leash until he actually gets it

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Regarding boras: If it was one or two guys sitting around unsigned then you can say well the money's not there. When there was five guys sitting then that's Major League sticking the middle finger at him.

Last edited: