1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
:yeah:

Brett, U mad?

And my Starlin Castro autograph just got more valuable... not selling though.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
A bit anti-climatic to say the least since he was really only in a battle with Carlos Marmol as having a realistic shot in getting named to the team. Hopefully it is the first of many, though perhaps Brett is right because if Castro had been playing 3rd this year he would be the starter given how putrid the play at 3B has been.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
A bit anti-climatic to say the least since he was really only in a battle with Carlos Marmol as having a realistic shot in getting named to the team. Hopefully it is the first of many, though perhaps Brett is right because if Castro had been playing 3rd this year he would be the starter given how putrid the play at 3B has been.

ESPN the other day was saying A-Ram should be starting at 3rd... there aren't many with his kind of numbers.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish

RandyQuaidXOut.jpg

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
I predicted Castro would be an all-star before the season......but I also put the Cubs on 90 wins. Sooooooooooo yeah

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
ESPN the other day was saying A-Ram should be starting at 3rd... there aren't many with his kind of numbers.

I would say Aramis deserves it more than Placido Polanco does. The guys has been terrible this year, and if you take out the unbelievable first few weeks he had when he was hitting like .350 it is even worse. Amongst the categories that most fans look at Aramis is doing quite well with the 2nd best average amongst NL 3B, the most homeruns, and the second most RBI.

I think Chase Headley or Ryan Roberts are having the best seasons at 3B though. My pick would be Headley with the great .399 OBP, .362 wOBA, and 2.0 WAR. The OBP and wOBA are tops at his position and the WAR is second. But he plays for San Deigo and doesn't hit for power. Roberts problem is being Mark Reynolds lite with the low average, high power, decent OBP and high K rate. You have to be close to the top of the league in HRs to make up for striking out a ton and a low average in most voters eyes.

Last edited:

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
under/over 1 error for castro in the all star game

:tiptoe:

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
under/over 1 error for castro in the all star game

:tiptoe:

Since he hasn't made an error since I want to say June 22nd and he's unlikely to play more than 3 innings defensively I will definitely take the under in that bet.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Not upset at all. As I have said all season long. The SS position is weak

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
The AS game has always overblown offense and severely undervalued defense and relievers

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
And by as game we will have a load of Castro cards at the shop

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
But that doesn't devalue Castro's effort, does it?

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:

The AS game has always overblown offense and severely undervalued defense and relievers

Not sure I can follow the logic here. The AS game puts more value on offense than defense and SS position is weak. SS's in MLB are ahead of the DH, LF, 2B, C, and 3B in batting average. SS's are ahead of 2B and 3B in terms of OPS. The weakest offensive position this season has been 3B and 2B is not far behind. There are currently 4 SS hitting .300 right now and that equals the number of 2B and 3B hitting .300. What are you talking about SS being weak this season?

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Not sure I can follow the logic here. The AS game puts more value on offense than defense and SS position is weak. SS's in MLB are ahead of the DH, LF, 2B, C, and 3B in batting average. SS's are ahead of 2B and 3B in terms of OPS. The weakest offensive position this season has been 3B and 2B is not far behind. There are currently 4 SS hitting .300 right now and that equals the number of 2B and 3B hitting .300. What are you talking about SS being weak this season?

SS's are supposed to be good hitters...plus you're just focusing on BA..HOWEVER i do agree that the SS position in the NL is certainly not that weak...when you have tulowitzki(he has been hurt but nontheless is hitting very well this year),hanley(good defender,and now his offense is really picking up..you cant judge this year for hanley alone as a support for the SS position being weak),Rollins,Reyes,and Furcal...and then you have Castro

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
SS's are supposed to be good hitters...plus you're just focusing on BA..HOWEVER i do agree that the SS position in the NL is certainly not that weak...when you have tulowitzki(he has been hurt but nontheless is hitting very well this year),hanley(good defender,and now his offense is really picking up..you cant judge this year for hanley alone as a support for the SS position being weak),Rollins,Reyes,and Furcal...and then you have Castro

I quoted AVG, OBP, and OPS in the positional stats. I only used the batting average example for individual players to try to get ahead of the argument about individual players versus production as a whole at the position.

And SS is not known for being good hitters. That has changed in the past 20 years, and I suppose if Brett's point is that this class of SS is weak compared to Nomar, ARod, Jeter in his prime, that was the early 2000s then I guess he is right. However, the fact that SS are outhitting 3B, which is a position known for offense, points to the fact that SS are not weak this year.

PS-Han-Ram is not a good defender at SS. He has been better this year, but he makes a lot of errors and his range is pretty bad for a SS. Tulo, Reyes, and other guys known for being glove first SS are much, much better defenders.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I quoted AVG, OBP, and OPS in the positional stats. I only used the batting average example for individual players to try to get ahead of the argument about individual players versus production as a whole at the position.

And SS is not known for being good hitters. That has changed in the past 20 years, and I suppose if Brett's point is that this class of SS is weak compared to Nomar, ARod, Jeter in his prime, that was the early 2000s then I guess he is right. However, the fact that SS are outhitting 3B, which is a position known for offense, points to the fact that SS are not weak this year.

PS-Han-Ram is not a good defender at SS. He has been better this year, but he makes a lot of errors and his range is pretty bad for a SS. Tulo, Reyes, and other guys known for being glove first SS are much, much better defenders.

hanley is a decent defender....and im not talking about historically SS are great hitters..im talking about in the last 20 years...there's no point in bringing up stuff before then because the game has changed quite a bit....since ripken and the guys you listed in the early 2000s...the SS position emphasizes good d and consistent base hitting...power as well although guys like reyes and jeter are great SSs(or were great) and were never really power hitters

the SS is definitely weaker than it was about 10 years...but is it a good answer for the reason why castro was picked this year? no..he got picked because he has played exceptionally well(still improving defensively but definitely seeing some promise)

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
hanley is a decent defender....and im not talking about historically SS are great hitters..im talking about in the last 20 years...there's no point in bringing up stuff before then because the game has changed quite a bit....since ripken and the guys you listed in the early 2000s...the SS position emphasizes good d and consistent base hitting...power as well although guys like reyes and jeter are great SSs(or were great) and were never really power hitters

the SS is definitely weaker than it was about 10 years...but is it a good answer for the reason why castro was picked this year? no..he got picked because he has played exceptionally well(still improving defensively but definitely seeing some promise)
Hanley Ramirez has a lower fielding percentage than Starlin Castro does right now. Ramirez doesn't have the range that many SS have and he is pretty widely acknowledged as a poor fielder at SS.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Hanley Ramirez has a lower fielding percentage than Starlin Castro does right now. Ramirez doesn't have the range that many SS have and he is pretty widely acknowledged as a poor fielder at SS.

ok i admit i didnt know much about ramirez's defense:shrug:

one thing i got wrong....:shifty: