Starlin Castro's Error Tracker (2013 Edition!)

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
What do you perceive his strengths on defense to be? He has plus range, I know...but then?

He has a very strong throwing arm as well which allows him to make plays that very few SS's are capable.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
What do you perceive his strengths on defense to be? He has plus range, I know...but then?

Really strong arm, good transfer from glove to hand, nice footwork to the ball. Fluid fielding motions. He can pick it.

The issues come with the feet, the inconstant arm slot, and the mental lapses. Dunno if he can fix all those over the long term.

HI THIS IS JI-

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
He's also ballsy and takes risks to get to balls, which I like but it's a dual edged sword.

HI THIS IS JI-

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
And, if I may so bold as to speak for Roobs here, our position on keeping Castro at SS is based on what the situation is right now. The Cubs might develop a really good defensive SS that can hit, and then Castro should be moved. Castro could lose a step or two of range if he feels out more or just as he gets older. And if and when that happens the argument to move him is becoming a lot more persuasive. The bottomline for me is that there is no better place to put him right now and no true upgrade available at the position. I expect that at some point that might change, but I think that is a conversation that is several seasons down the road if I had to guess.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
And, if I may so bold as to speak for Roobs here, our position on keeping Castro at SS is based on what the situation is right now. The Cubs might develop a really good defensive SS that can hit, and then Castro should be moved. Castro could lose a step or two of range if he feels out more or just as he gets older. And if and when that happens the argument to move him is becoming a lot more persuasive. The bottomline for me is that there is no better place to put him right now and no true upgrade available at the position. I expect that at some point that might change, but I think that is a conversation that is several seasons down the road if I had to guess.

That's correct, and by then the likely spot would be 3B.

HI THIS IS JI-

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
He has a very strong throwing arm as well which allows him to make plays that very few SS's are capable.

Really strong arm, good transfer from glove to hand, nice footwork to the ball. Fluid fielding motions. He can pick it.

The issues come with the feet, the inconstant arm slot, and the mental lapses. Dunno if he can fix all those over the long term.

HI THIS IS JI-

You both say he has a strong arm, and I agree, but how good is a strong arm is 1 out of every 20 throws goes to the stands?

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
You both say he has a strong arm, and I agree, but how good is a strong arm is 1 out of every 20 throws goes to the stands?

He doesn't sail throws that often. He is either wide or low due to the arm slot.

HI THIS IS JI-

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
And he makes a throwing error once every 45 chances.

HI THIS IS JI-

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
Alexei Ramirez in 2012: 1/48
Jose Reyes in 2012: 1/43
Jeter in 1997 (age 23 season): 1/36

HI THIS IS JI-

Reactions: X

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Alexei Ramirez in 2012: 1/48
Jose Reyes in 2012: 1/43
Jeter in 1997 (age 23 season): 1/36

HI THIS IS JI-

Good research, but that still didn't tell me where he ranked. :lol:

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
Let's reset this and look at other SS's at age 23 on all assists and all throwing errors:
Jeter: Age 23 season: 1997. Assists: 454. Throwing Errors: 10.
Garciaparra: Age 23 season: 1997. Assists: 453. Throwing Errors: 11 (Garciaparra would make 25 errors the next year).
Alex Rodriguez: Age 23 season: 1999. Assists: 382. Throwing Errors: 1 (Man he was fucking good).
Cal Ripken Jr.: Age 23 season: 1984. Assists: 579 (!). Throwing Erros: 3 (Cal Ripken...man. It's important to note that this was before the K explosion and range numbers are a bit higher pre 1996).

So I mean the arm is strong and the accuracy isn't awful IMO. Jeter and Nomar were sloppier defenders in their youth, A Rod was sloppy before he just got it and it all clicked, and Cal Ripken was a demigod obviously.

It's on overstated position IMO.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
Good research, but that still didn't tell me where he ranked. :lol:

That's gonna take a lot of time and I'm guessing it'll be around the middle. Ryan should be at the top. Then probably Reyes and Hardy are in there.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Errors :dontcare:

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Anyone wanna sig bet that he finishes with 20+ errors on the season (given 140+ games played...)? :shifty:

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
Castro records an A. Strong armed throw from middle/deep SE

HI THIS IS JI-