Starlin Castro's Error Tracker (2013 Edition!)

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
Gritty savior Castro hustles on a squibber and it directly leads to a two run bomb by Rizzo.

HI THIS IS JI-

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
You both say he has a strong arm, and I agree, but how good is a strong arm is 1 out of every 20 throws goes to the stands?

Well Roobs has done a lot of work to show that really isn't true, and really since the first month of Sveum Castro's throws have been a lot better. But I guess this is what I don't get about moving him to other infield spots. You can either move him to third which is even more based on instinct and twitch movement or you can move him to second base which is based on footwork and accurate throws. I don't see how either move improves his defense.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
:smug2:

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Well Roobs has done a lot of work to show that really isn't true, and really since the first month of Sveum Castro's throws have been a lot better. But I guess this is what I don't get about moving him to other infield spots. You can either move him to third which is even more based on instinct and twitch movement or you can move him to second base which is based on footwork and accurate throws. I don't see how either move improves his defense.

Maybe he belongs in the AL? Or when the NL switches to the DH in a year or two, he won't have to play the field?

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Castro will and should never be a DH. There's 0% of the happening and that's silly talk.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Maybe he belongs in the AL? Or when the NL switches to the DH in a year or two, he won't have to play the field?

His bat isn't nearly good enough to be a full time DH. If he can't play the field than his value goes from above average to below average real quick. Again I think the defensive woes are vastly overstated. A definite area for improvement, but hardly the crisis that some have raised.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Castro will and should never be a DH. There's 0% of the happening and that's silly talk.

never? that's pretty definitive.

Just saying...his defense doesn't improve. Two years from now, the NL has a DH. Baez is "the next big thing." What do you do w/ him?

Several hypotheticals there...but saying there's 0% of him ever being a DH...now that's silly talk.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
His bat isn't nearly good enough to be a full time DH. If he can't play the field than his value goes from above average to below average real quick. Again I think the defensive woes are vastly overstated. A definite area for improvement, but hardly the crisis that some have raised.

Da
He's not great, but he's far from awful.

HI THIS IS JI-

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Are you talking about the trick hop where he got into a good fielding position when the ball jumped on him?

HI THIS IS JI-

I agreed w/ the Official Scorer's ruling of a hit -- but I was looking at this thread when the play happened, and it made me :smug2:

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
They'd trade him before making him a DH.

HI THIS IS JI-

Reactions: X

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Castro is actually a pretty decent defender, X-Factor just likes to hate. DH notion is ridiculous.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Castro is actually a pretty decent defender, X-Factor just likes to hate. DH notion is ridiculous.

:rolleyes: Like to hate? I'm glad the dude's on the team I root for...I hope he gets better...But you can't lead the league in errors two straight years and be deemed a +defender.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
never? that's pretty definitive.

Just saying...his defense doesn't improve. Two years from now, the NL has a DH. Baez is "the next big thing." What do you do w/ him?

Several hypotheticals there...but saying there's 0% of him ever being a DH...now that's silly talk.
Baez has gone from definitely having to move off of 3B to possibly sticking at SS in most scouts evaluations. If Baez makes it up here there is going to be a trade off in terms of what you get in SS. Baez will have better instincts and look smoother, but he isn't going to get to as many balls and make as many plays as Castro. 3B seems a likely move for Baez, but I would love for him to mak eht switch to 2B. Anyways all of that is a long ways off and has a lot of ifs invovled.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
:rolleyes: Like to hate? I'm glad the dude's on the team I root for...I hope he gets better...But you can't lead the league in errors two straight years and be deemed a +defender.

But there is a huge gap between being a plus defender and not being able to field the position. That is where Castro lies right now, and he the possibility of moving either direction on the scale. I liked what I saw last year pointing to him getting better, but I don't exclude the possibility of him having to move in the future.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Baez has gone from definitely having to move off of 3B to possibly sticking at SS in most scouts evaluations. If Baez makes it up here there is going to be a trade off in terms of what you get in SS. Baez will have better instincts and look smoother, but he isn't going to get to as many balls and make as many plays as Castro. 3B seems a likely move for Baez, but I would love for him to mak eht switch to 2B. Anyways all of that is a long ways off and has a lot of ifs invovled.

Oh yeah, I agree...and I should point out, as one of you said earlier -- I'm well aware there aren't better options at the moment. I'm just questioning his long-term value @ SS. Offensively, the value's there. Defensively, I'm not near as sure as you all seem to be.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
But there is a huge gap between being a plus defender and not being able to field the position. That is where Castro lies right now, and he the possibility of moving either direction on the scale. I liked what I saw last year pointing to him getting better, but I don't exclude the possibility of him having to move in the future.

I really think we're on the same page....with you being slightly more optimistic and me slightly more pessimistic. :lol:

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats

Doesn't have to be +, but yes you can. Errors don't mean much at all. It's all about the Range Factor bro. And, ignoring the "UZR is so flawed" for a second, his UZR was a positive 2 last year, pretty solid. So one bad stat says he sucks, the other (less flawed IMO, but still "flawed") says he was above average. Go figure. He isn't that far below average that I'd be considering moving him right now.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Doesn't have to be +, but yes you can. Errors don't mean much at all. It's all about the Range Factor bro. And, ignoring the "UZR is so flawed" for a second, his UZR was a positive 2 last year, pretty solid. So one bad stat says he sucks, the other (less flawed IMO, but still "flawed") says he was above average. Go figure. He isn't that far below average that I'd be considering moving him right now.

I don't think we should move him right now either. As far as i'm concerned, he's the shiniest turd in the defensive pot among our 3Bs. :shrug:

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
I don't think we should move him right now either. As far as i'm concerned, he's the shiniest turd in the defensive pot among our 3Bs. :shrug:

I suppose my contention is that he isn't a turd. And he's young and he's improved defensively every year.

HI THIS IS JI-