Starlin Castro's Error Tracker (2013 Edition!)

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
and...added. :smh:

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Errorzzz and stuffzzz because thats how we should judge him as a player, rightz? :rolleyes:

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Anyone that dismisses errors as not important is completely missing things IMO. Errors make a 27 out game a 28-31 out game. And that is awful.

They have the stats on television all the time on winning percentage of teams based on total errors. Every time you make an error, your chance of winning the game drops and drops significantly.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Anyone that dismisses errors as not important is completely missing things IMO. Errors make a 27 out game a 28-31 out game. And that is awful.

They have the stats on television all the time on winning percentage of teams based on total errors. Every time you make an error, your chance of winning the game drops and drops significantly.

The error will change the win probability but the significance of that percentage drop depends on the game situation. Castro's error yesterday was particularly bad but honestly didn't affect the game as much as the events subsequent to the error.

http://www.fangraphs.com/wins.aspx?date=2013-04-11&team=Cubs&dh=0&season=2013

You can track the WPA if you wish. Yeah, the error was bad, no mistake about it (huh huh, see what I did there) but the manager was correct in placing most of the blame on the other events while also addressing the error.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I agree an error when you are down 8-1 in the 7th is not the same as say an error when the game is closer or you are losing already. But that goes for everythign in baseball really (probably wrong there, so for the record, making a sweeping statement without thinking it through).

In general errors are bad and hurt much ore than the few here and many elsewhere that try to make errors seem trivial.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
Errors are obvious and that's why people gravitate to them. Not so obvious is range and when a player, like say Ryan Theriot, has limited range it hurts more because there are hits that the aren't converting to outs happening with more frequency.

Castro converts a lot of outs. The FLDG% has to rise but he does convert a lot of base hits into outs.

HI THIS IS JI-

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats

They "matter", but range is far more important and telling.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Outs is what matters. And keeping them to 27. Range really is overrated IMO.

Ask one of the greatest shortstops ever in Cal Ripken. No need to have range if you are there in the first place.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:

Ask one of the greatest shortstops ever in Cal Ripken. No need to have range if you are there in the first place.

Those two bolded statements are contradictory. If outs are what matters then range is absolutely important because that effects how many plays are converted into outs.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
RANGE FACTOR BRO

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
Now it's time for the "Starlin Castro's walk off hits tracker'. It's at 1 so far.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats

:facepalm:

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Now it's time for the "Starlin Castro's walk off hits tracker'. It's at 1 so far.

Lol, I love how it's now perceived that I </3 Castro. I wish the dude the best, I just don't think he's a very good fielder.

That being said, start that thread if you want...the walk-off hits thread. It'll be on the 4th page in two weeks, while this one will undoubtedly be near the top of the first page.

Mr. Cub

Liked Posts:
Lol, I love how it's now perceived that I </3 Castro. I wish the dude the best, I just don't think he's a very good fielder.

That being said, start that thread if you want...the walk-off hits thread. It'll be on the 4th page in two weeks, while this one will undoubtedly be near the top of the first page.

Castro is our best player. At least on the offensive end. His defense though just needs some sharpening up. His range (overrated or not) is great. I've seen him make some great plays and then goof some routine shit. It happens. I just hope he starts to figure it out. But when it comes to his bat... Not much to worry about, dude can hit. I would love for him to be a career Cub, as long as if during tomorrow's BP he hits Shittibridge right out of the state of Illinois.

Reactions: X

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Castro is our best player. At least on the offensive end. His defense though just needs some sharpening up. His range (overrated or not) is great. I've seen him make some great plays and then goof some routine shit. It happens. I just hope he starts to figure it out. But when it comes to his bat... Not much to worry about, dude can hit. I would love for him to be a career Cub, as long as if during tomorrow's BP he hits Shittibridge right out of the state of Illinois.

See, this. This is how I feel. I know he's our best offensive player (though I believe Rizzo will have superior stats in a year or two, but Castro will still be more valuable offensively based on position.) And I, too, have seen him make some incredible plays. But when the routine stuff doesn't come as naturally, it gives me pause. I HOPE he figures it out. He doesn't need to ever be a gold glover for me to be satisfied, just don't make so many damn derp plays.

I LOVE watching this dude hit. Aggressive, swinging, makes contact, runs the bases. GREAT offensive SS, imo. He'll round himself into some 20+ HR seasons in a cpl years I believe.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Cal talked about his prep. As well as his view on his limited range. He out worked everyone. Range factor is overrated, especially by the youth at CCS.

Mr. Cub

Liked Posts:
See, this. This is how I feel. I know he's our best offensive player (though I believe Rizzo will have superior stats in a year or two, but Castro will still be more valuable offensively based on position.) And I, too, have seen him make some incredible plays. But when the routine stuff doesn't come as naturally, it gives me pause. I HOPE he figures it out. He doesn't need to ever be a gold glover for me to be satisfied, just don't make so many damn derp plays.

I LOVE watching this dude hit. Aggressive, swinging, makes contact, runs the bases. GREAT offensive SS, imo. He'll round himself into some 20+ HR seasons in a cpl years I believe.

Definitely. I can see him reaching the 20+ HR's probably this year. I just hope he doesn't have any long slumps this year and can get his .300 ish average for the year.
When Barney gets back that will help the D too. That dude is pretty rangy and makes great plays

I hope Rizzo can turn into to the next D-Lee for us. Right now though he is kind of eh. Gets a HR here and there, but not a whole lot in between but a bunch of K's. Hope he gets his shit figured out too.

Beef is a hitting machine right now. Love that too. (I know that wasn't Castro related, I have ADD and I got sidetracked) haha