Steph Curry Appreciation Thread

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
Stephen Curry really is approaching Kobe territory here. This season he is starting to put together... this is the most dominant MVP season (granted, in a limited 16 games) might be the most dominant one since Jordan in '96.

So he is APPROACHING Kobe territory...understood. I wish you wouldn't make these comparisons. Its over the top. And I take it you are only talking about one side of the court. Jordan and Kobe were perennial all league defensive players. Curry isn't the best defensive player in his own backcourt.

I'll just call him a great shooter/scorer and leave it at that.

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So he is APPROACHING Kobe territory...understood. I wish you wouldn't make these comparisons. Its over the top. And I take it you are only talking about one side of the court. Jordan and Kobe were perennial all league defensive players. Curry isn't the best defensive player in his own backcourt.

I'll just call him a great shooter/scorer and leave it at that.

And look who his backcourt mate is. Klay Thompson. Steph Curry has actually improved to being one of the best defenders in the league at the point guard position. If Curry maintains the level he is playing this season, he will have a better season than Kobe ever had. And Kobe in my book is a borderline top 10 player of all-time in my opinion. It's just big time praise.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
And look who his backcourt mate is. Klay Thompson. Steph Curry has actually improved to being one of the best defenders in the league at the point guard position. If Curry maintains the level he is playing this season, he will have a better season than Kobe ever had. And Kobe in my book is a borderline top 10 player of all-time in my opinion. It's just big time praise.
I don't think Curry is that great a defensive PG. He racks up a lot of steals because he has the luxury of being able to gamble, but I've never seen him lock down anyone. I think he's improved a lot since he came into the league and isn't a liability, but I don't think he's one of the best at the PG spot. Heck, I think Rose when he's actually trying is better defensively. CP3, Bledsoe, Conley, Rondo, Smart, Beverley, Westbrook, George Hill, Wall...they're all legitimately better than Curry defensively imo. Idk, perhaps that still puts him up near the top of the league, but to me he's not elite. Above average I'll give.

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think Curry is that great a defensive PG. He racks up a lot of steals because he has the luxury of being able to gamble, but I've never seen him lock down anyone. I think he's improved a lot since he came into the league and isn't a liability, but I don't think he's one of the best at the PG spot. Heck, I think Rose when he's actually trying is better defensively. CP3, Bledsoe, Conley, Rondo, Smart, Beverley, Westbrook, George Hill, Wall...they're all legitimately better than Curry defensively imo. Idk, perhaps that still puts him up near the top of the league, but to me he's not elite. Above average I'll give.

I'd throw Avery Bradley on that list of point guards better defensively than Curry. The thing is Kobe has usually had a handful of perimeter defenders in the league that have outclassed him at any given time. The defensive argument to why Kobe is better than Curry is not without its holes. Yet that might be the strongest one to make on Kobe's behalf.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'd throw Avery Bradley on that list of point guards better defensively than Curry. The thing is Kobe has usually had a handful of perimeter defenders in the league that have outclassed him at any given time. The defensive argument to why Kobe is better than Curry is not without its holes. Yet that might be the strongest one to make on Kobe's behalf.
I left Bradley off the list as I consider him a 2, but if you want to count him, sure.

Kobe I would consider a lockdown defender in his day. Yes he wasn't necessarily the best defender on the wing in the whole league, but he could shut someone down when he wanted to, the same way Jordan could. Much of that is overlooked as he usually had another person to take that duty for him for much of his Mamba days, but that's something I think we could say about Kobe that we can't say about Steph.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
This GS team is unstoppable. They've sat Curry forever, and he still had a good game.

18-0

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
I look forward to the general NBA fan turning on Steph Curry

Hopefully there's too many MJ comparisons or he's a dickhead free agent or something

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Mostly because I'm a LeBron fan and I'm annoyed that everybody hates him and attempts to discredit him... and everybody loves this guy

Steph Curry is the John Cena of the NBA right now and I'm the IWC

Chief Walking Stick

Donator
Liked Posts:
Mostly because I'm a LeBron fan and I'm annoyed that everybody hates him and attempts to discredit him... and everybody loves this guy

Steph Curry is the John Cena of the NBA right now and I'm the IWC

No true NBA fans hate LeBron.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Best shooter the league has ever seen. And that's been true for a few years now.

Photo-from-lagrosseballeoraange.com_.jpg

How soon they forget.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
Curry is unbelievable

first player in awhile that im truly impressed by...his stroke is a work of art easily the best shooter ive ever witnessed and thats not being a meatball...i truly have never seen a guy shoot so pure

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
It's really just the type of shots he makes. I've seen some unbelievable pure spot up and stand still shooters. Or guys who could put the ball down on the floor for a couple dribbles and then raise up. But Curry could bring the ball up court, cross you over and stop on a dime, raise up over a 7 footer, and it's all net....and everyone expects the ball to go in. It's just ridiculous how skilled he is.

Chief Walking Stick

Donator
Liked Posts:
It's really just the type of shots he makes. I've seen some unbelievable pure spot up and stand still shooters. Or guys who could put the ball down on the floor for a couple dribbles and then raise up. But Curry could bring the ball up court, cross you over and stop on a dime, raise up over a 7 footer, and it's all net....and everyone expects the ball to go in. It's just ridiculous how skilled he is.

Agreed. Best step back jumper in NBA history as well.

Chief Walking Stick

Donator
Liked Posts:
Yep. I think he's the best shot maker in NBA history. At least that I've seen. There's not a type of shot or distance on the court that he's not a threat.

He can also drive the hoop but doesn't need to. Guy is going to have a long career thanks to his play style. I am thoroughly enjoying watching the Warriors this year, even more so than the Bulls.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
His numbers aren't even realistic. They're just silly

eFG% 64
TS% 69
3 PT% 46 on 11 attempts per game
PER: 34
AST% 30
USG% 33
TOV% 14
WS/48: 36

Now, I'm not saying WS/48 is the be all end all stat, but just to put it into perspective, Jordan's career high WS/48 was 32 and his career high PER was 32. Again, not the be all end all stat, but it's unbelievably impressive that Curry is beating both those highs so far this season.

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
His numbers aren't even realistic. They're just silly

eFG% 64
TS% 69
3 PT% 46 on 11 attempts per game
PER: 34
AST% 30
USG% 33
TOV% 14
WS/48: 36

Now, I'm not saying WS/48 is the be all end all stat, but just to put it into perspective, Jordan's career high WS/48 was 32 and his career high PER was 32. Again, not the be all end all stat, but it's unbelievably impressive that Curry is beating both those highs so far this season.

So if you're ranking the greatest GOATs of all time, would Curry be number 1?