Still ticks me off Cubs brass passed on Ryne Sandberg.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
I know, I know it's a dead horse and he's hired by the Phillies and all is lost on that front, but it really pissed me off nleft a bad taste in my mouth.. A lot of cubs fans will deny it but everyone is still pissed about that, now it's coming back to bite us in the ass. Sveum was gone in 2 years and the Cubs are looking at candidates who pretty much are nobodies or small somebodies. Not only did Ryne love the cubs and is loved by the fans, but he PAID HIS DUES in the oganization.

Ya don't husttle in double and triple A sleeping on the team bus and hotels for the team ya played for to stick around in manage their farm team.. No, he thought he was being groomed n paying his dues to be the cubs next manager-- N didn't he do a damn good job in the minors, too?

So not only did he pay his dues to be the Cubs manager by working through the organization, but even if the Cubs sucked another 2 years from when he should have been hired.. Cubs fans would have been PATIENT, more so than with some nobody, because we all know Ryno wants a ring with the team he loved n the kids he was coaching in the minors who been called up.

Sorry, jus treally pisses me off Theo pulled that shitty card for Sveum.. What a joke. What was the reason again for passin on him?

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I loved Ryno the player. Ryno the manager is likely to be too bunty for my tastes, and I don't mourn the loss like some apparently.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I think he would be good for developing the youngsters and for getting the players to play the game as it should be played.

I have watched so damn many managers come and go, and we are so often unsound fundamentally - missed cutoff men, poor base running, etc. I think Sandberg would have been good with that.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Lets wait to see if Sandberg finds success at the major league level before moaning about it.

Sorry this thread sounds like a spurned fan boy thread.

No justification for it. He has proven nothing.

If you want to piss and moan then piss and moan over 2006 off season where they spurned Joe G. and shacked up with Lou instead forcing Joe to take a Yank broadcasting gig vs becoming the Cubs manager.

I kinda get it. Fav Cub and seemed decent in a minor league gig but if it was any other tough luck manager that tried to make it the same way I doubt you would care.

Keep things in perspective and just see what happens. Personally I hope Dave Martinez gets the gig. Saber guy that did Madden's saber work from 2007 and on.

Rather have a guy that has done what the Cubs have been trying to do.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I think if Sandberg was still in the org, he would be the manager today...Don't believe it would've looked good to have him manage the Cubs the last couple years.

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Cubs were a 90 loss team the last 2 seasons no matter what. Probably a 90 loss team next season. He gets fired and things still end on a bad note.

That being said, I was pissed at the time when we passed on him too.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I think if Sandberg was still in the org, he would be the manager today...Don't believe it would've looked good to have him manage the Cubs the last couple years.

even so it doesn't mean that he was the guy Theo and Jed wanted.

I believe this has more to do with old school and new school.

New school are using Saber as a part of their managing. Old school tends not to approach the game that way.

I'm not sure about Ryne. But a guess: no he is old school.

Came up in the pre-Saber metric age.
Manager under Jim Hendry who did not implement Saber Metric's while he was here.

I would call this it was not a match in philosophy. Theo had to tip toe around the subject because of the fan base but he did not want a non Saber Metric running the team when how they were bring up the new talent was based off of Saber Metrics.

It is easier to hire a guy that fits the mold vs teaching a old dog new tricks.

Thus I feel it will be Dave Martinez. He fits the mold that Theo is looking for.

Ryne is a fan fav but that doesn't mean he is the right guy for Theo.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
The Cubs were a 90 loss team the last 2 seasons no matter what. Probably a 90 loss team next season. He gets fired and things still end on a bad note.

That being said, I was pissed at the time when we passed on him too.

Is Sandberg the right man for the job, or is that people feel the need to bring a Cub back into the organization?

What people do on the field more often than not does not translate to success in the dugout.

Do you think Michael Jordan would have been a good coach for the Bulls?

Cubs2008

Liked Posts:
What Jordan would do or what most good to great baseball players would do is irrelevant. Sandberg was a very good minor leauge manager. I believe that means he'd be a good major leauge manager. Unfortunately the timing just didn't work out. We could have hired him two years ago but what good would that have done anyone. I don't think letting him manage these clowns would have helped him or us.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
Still sticking to the adage that you don't bring a former player that is a HOF player into a piss poor position that he is going to be fired from more likely then not. It tarnishes a great record. I'm glad he got the job elsewhere.

sent from my beaver dam using tapatalk

chibears55

Liked Posts:
they should of hired sandberg over quade in Oct of 2010, that said no one knows how good ryno will be as a major league manager..
most managers are only as good as their players are..
i dont take too much stock into who the manager is, their game decisions will only win or lose a few games,, for the most part its the players that decides the out come of the majority of games.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Still sticking to the adage that you don't bring a former player that is a HOF player into a piss poor position that he is going to be fired from more likely then not. It tarnishes a great record. I'm glad he got the job elsewhere.

right, and who to say at some point down the line ryno dont get an opportunity to manage here..

i think dave martinez will probably get the job this year, and if so it going to be very interesting on APR 4th as manager sandberg and martinez walk to home plate with the line up cards to see how they greet each other...( cindy sandberg )

CSF77

Liked Posts:
That was tabloid stuff.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1995-07-27/sports/9507270062_1_divorce-marriage-ryne-sandberg

The Other Sandberg Finally Has Her Say

July 27, 1995|By Fred Mitchell.

PLATTEVILLE, Wis. — Cindy Sandberg has heard the rumors, read the innuendos and winced at the gossip.

The recent ex-wife of retired Cubs star Ryne Sandberg says she wants to set the record straight.

Sandberg has written a book discussing, to a degree, his reasons for leaving the game that was paying him $7 million a year and he has touched on the breakup of his marriage.

But no one has approached Cindy to ask her about the damaging published statements and whispers about her private life.

"Actually, you are the first person to ask me," she said Wednesday from her home in suburban Phoenix. "I find the rumors amusing. These people don't know me, don't know what I am doing and never have."

For starters, Cindy addressed published and broadcast reports about her and two of her former husband's teammates.

"It was just friends," she said of those relationships with the players and their wives. ". . . . At that point I would be considered the veteran wife on the team."

The Sandberg's divorce became official July 5. They live in separate houses down the street from each other.

Cindy and Ryne have joint custody of their children, Justin (11) and Lindsey (12). Cindy is most concerned about the effect the reports about her might have on her children.

"I showed my kids the article that was written in the Tribune Magazine," she said. "I showed it to my daughter and she started reading it. Then she just put it away."

Cindy says she wishes Ryne and his fiance, whom he is expected to marry next month, the best in the future.

Cindy said she and Ryne divorced as amicably as possible under the circumstances and she will always cherish the good times in their 16-year marriage.

"Especially the 1984 season. But right now, Ryne and I are statistics."

Not the first time: Cindy also revealed Wednesday that she first filed for divorce in December 1993. The couple reconciled between Christmas and New Year's Eve, but she filed again right after Sandberg announced his retirement in June of '94.

"I have a very strong sense of family and I like families to be together," she said. "It is very hard not being able to have my children with me every day. Now that we are not together, the kids go back and forth."

Asked if their failed marriage was the determining factor in her husband's retirement, Cindy said: "Ryne retired because he was ready to retire. Ryne did what Ryne wanted to do. And I stood behind his decision."

patg006

Liked Posts:
As many of you know, I'm not Theo/Jed's biggest fan.

But Sveum, at the time--was the right hire. As I recall, he picked the cubs over the Red Sox and was the most sought after manager that offseason.

Just curious, had Ryno been hired instead, and dropped the same gigantic turd with the talent Sveum had......what would we all be saying/thinking now if we rewind pre-Girardi re-upping with the Yankees? Would we all still be pining for Girardi? Or begging Ryno to stay amid two horrible seasons and little improvement?

The cubs didn't owe it to Ryno when they hired Sveum, they made the best decision; and they don't owe it to him now. Stop being a whiney little fan-boy.

Hire Davey Martinez and be done with it.....

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Im glad Ryno didnt take team 2 yrs ago. Would have sucked to see him lose 197 games over 2 yr span. Dale was hired to lose and be fired as scapegoat for Theo

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Lets wait to see if Sandberg finds success at the major league level before moaning about it.

Sorry this thread sounds like a spurned fan boy thread.

No justification for it. He has proven nothing.

If you want to piss and moan then piss and moan over 2006 off season where they spurned Joe G. and shacked up with Lou instead forcing Joe to take a Yank broadcasting gig vs becoming the Cubs manager.

I kinda get it. Fav Cub and seemed decent in a minor league gig but if it was any other tough luck manager that tried to make it the same way I doubt you would care.

Keep things in perspective and just see what happens. Personally I hope Dave Martinez gets the gig. Saber guy that did Madden's saber work from 2007 and on.

Rather have a guy that has done what the Cubs have been trying to do.

The OP sounded like that. The 1st response was from a fan who wasn't upset we didn't hire him.

The 2nd response was from me, and I pointed out where I thought he would have helped, but hardly sounded like a spurned fanboy, and I didn't say i wished he was hired.

The 3rd response was yours, saying the thread sounded like spurned fanboys.....quite the misrepresentation.

patg006

Liked Posts:
Im glad Ryno didnt take team 2 yrs ago. Would have sucked to see him lose 197 games over 2 yr span. Dale was hired to lose and be fired as scapegoat for Theo

Not to nitpick petty semantics, but Ryno didn't turn the team down. Epstein came out and said he wasn't being considered period, a move again at the time I thought Sveum was the best candidate.

Dale was hired to develop talent and do the best with a sinking ship.....

I wonder who will be the next scapegoat when the cubs lose another 100......

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Whoever was hired two years ago was facing an unenviable task. Fans would not have enjoyed seeing a former star struggle with these players.

I do think he would have been better developing the younger guys than Sveum turned out to be. And I do think he had proven himself at lower levels. Believe me, I am the LAST guy to ever want a former star player as manager/coach, simply because of their playing days. I have never understood how so many fans, in all sports, clamor for a former star to run the show. But at least in Sandberg's case, he had shown ability to manage.

I also don't get why it would be a benefit to have a former Cub. Nor do I see why it would be a detriment. If you had a successful organization, and brought up a guy who had been in that organization and saw how things get done the right way - e.g. The Cardinals - I can see where it's a plus. But how on earth it helps to be a former Cub is beyond me.

That said....I am rooting for Dave Martinez. But for reasons other than where he played.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Not to nitpick petty semantics, but Ryno didn't turn the team down. Epstein came out and said he wasn't being considered period, a move again at the time I thought Sveum was the best candidate.

Dale was hired to develop talent and do the best with a sinking ship.....

I wonder who will be the next scapegoat when the cubs lose another 100......

Not sure if they will hit 100 next year. We could have Baez and Bryant on the team and Dale's tinkering with hitters approaches gone. The pitching was good. It was OBA and driving what runners they had on in.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Is Sandberg the right man for the job, or is that people feel the need to bring a Cub back into the organization?

What people do on the field more often than not does not translate to success in the dugout.

Do you think Michael Jordan would have been a good coach for the Bulls?

Do you realize that he managed in the minors and was manager of the year twice?