Still ticks me off Cubs brass passed on Ryne Sandberg.

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
Still sticking to the adage that you don't bring a former player that is a HOF player into a piss poor position that he is going to be fired from more likely then not. It tarnishes a great record. I'm glad he got the job elsewhere.

sent from my beaver dam using tapatalk

Which is exactly why he wasn't hired...twice.

I assumed everyone here already knew the organization stated this privately.

wklink

CBMB refugee
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Seattle Sounders FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The Cubs were a 90 loss team the last 2 seasons no matter what. Probably a 90 loss team next season. He gets fired and things still end on a bad note.

That being said, I was pissed at the time when we passed on him too.

It's hard to say what kind of team this would be with Sandberg. I highly doubt this would be a playoff contender but Ryno had gotten production out of many of these kids in AAA and below, knew his players well and possibly could have gotten better production out of them than Svem has. It is all hypothetical thinking of course but Svem certainly did have some head scratching moments over the last couple of years. I am not sure Sandberg would have made some of the same decisions, especially with the pitching staff.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
It's hard to say what kind of team this would be with Sandberg. I highly doubt this would be a playoff contender but Ryno had gotten production out of many of these kids in AAA and below, knew his players well and possibly could have gotten better production out of them than Svem has. It is all hypothetical thinking of course but Svem certainly did have some head scratching moments over the last couple of years. I am not sure Sandberg would have made some of the same decisions, especially with the pitching staff.

Hiring Sandberg to think that he would have made much of a difference for the Cubs is like putting jockey Gary Stevens on a mule. He ain't gonna make it run any faster. A mule is a mule no matter who is on it's back.

BearsFan!

Liked Posts:
I think Sandberg would have been a good choice for the Cubs, I have followed his career since he came in, one of my favorite players. If you want to know what kind of coach he would have been, just read or watch his HOF speech, here is a portion of his speech:

"These guys sitting up here did not pave the way for the rest of us so that players could swing for the fences every time up and forget how to move a runner over to third. It’s disrespectful to them, to you, and to the game of baseball that we all played growing up.

Respect.

A lot of people say this honor validates my career, but I didn’t work hard for validation. I didn’t play the game right because I saw a reward at the end of the tunnel. I played it right because that’s what you’re supposed to do -- play it right and with respect. If this validates anything, it’s that learning how to bunt and hit and run and turning two is more important than knowing where to find the little red light at the dug out camera."

I don't think with him as a manager, he would have put up with a shortstop turning his back in the middle of a pitch or a 1rst baseman complaining about where he is placed in the batting order. He also would not have tolerated the lack of basic fundamentals of the game that has been plaguing this team for the last couple of years.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
I think Sandberg would have been a good choice for the Cubs, I have followed his career since he came in, one of my favorite players. If you want to know what kind of coach he would have been, just read or watch his HOF speech, here is a portion of his speech:

"These guys sitting up here did not pave the way for the rest of us so that players could swing for the fences every time up and forget how to move a runner over to third. It’s disrespectful to them, to you, and to the game of baseball that we all played growing up.

Respect.

A lot of people say this honor validates my career, but I didn’t work hard for validation. I didn’t play the game right because I saw a reward at the end of the tunnel. I played it right because that’s what you’re supposed to do -- play it right and with respect. If this validates anything, it’s that learning how to bunt and hit and run and turning two is more important than knowing where to find the little red light at the dug out camera."

I don't think with him as a manager, he would have put up with a shortstop turning his back in the middle of a pitch or a 1rst baseman complaining about where he is placed in the batting order. He also would not have tolerated the lack of basic fundamentals of the game that has been plaguing this team for the last couple of years.

And those fundamentals should all be taught in the minors before they get to the majors. That is part of the developmental process, and when you teach them young, they are less apt to make mistakes at the parent level.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
[/B]

And those fundamentals should all be taught in the minors before they get to the majors. That is part of the developmental process, and when you teach them young, they are less apt to make mistakes at the parent level.
So what happens if they are good enough to be called up when they are still young? ;)

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
So what happens if they are good enough to be called up when they are still young? ;)

They should be taught when they first get into the organization. If they weren't, then you get the Starlin Castro's of the world. Hopefully, things from here on out won't be like this since he and a few others emerged prior to the changes in the organization, and here's to the whole losing culture and mentality turning into a winning one. :beer:

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I still sit here and wonder why some of you continually suck his wang.. We have ZERO idea of how good of a manager that he will be.. He could be fucking Mike Quade all over again but since he's Ryno.. He can do no wrong.

Seriously.. Some of you need to actually learn how a hiring process works.

Icculus

The Great and Knowledgeable
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Army Black Knights
For evidence that really good and great players don't necessarily make great managers see Robin Ventura.