Straight baseball talk

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Watching shark when his split is on is impressive. That split is devastating when he has a feel for it. I also enjoy Cueto. I like to call it controlled wildness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

czman

Liked Posts:
Rizzo up to: 283/407/457

Not bad considering the protection he has and that he is only 24. He still has a bit of time till he hits his prime.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
[video=youtube;HWzZHvbN-eI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWzZHvbN-eI[/video]

The pitch he throws 16 seconds in is sexual in nature.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
[video=youtube;HWzZHvbN-eI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWzZHvbN-eI[/video]

The pitch he throws 16 seconds in is sexual in nature.

Speaking of tasty Reds' pitching prospects, really excited at the chance of (hopefully) getting to see many of them sometime this year with the Louisville Bats. Robert Stephenson's curveball is the kind of beauty that scares kids into eating their vegetables, Michael Lorenzen is a super interesting pitching prospect after getting converted from an outfielder/closer into a full-time starter in less than 14 months. Carlos Contreras is also an interesting name for folks to keep their eye on.

Liked Posts:
Speaking of tasty Reds' pitching prospects, really excited at the chance of (hopefully) getting to see many of them sometime this year with the Louisville Bats. Robert Stephenson's curveball is the kind of beauty that scares kids into eating their vegetables, Michael Lorenzen is a super interesting pitching prospect after getting converted from an outfielder/closer into a full-time starter in less than 14 months. Carlos Contreras is also an interesting name for folks to keep their eye on.

"Tasty"? Would you lick him like a lollipop?

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jose Quintana's sequencing is ridiculous. Travis Wood and he are cut from that Mark Buehrle mold. Really fun to watch if you're paying attention.

soft tossers always have scared me. how buehrle got away with it is beyond me. pin point control i guess

Sent from my Rotary Phone using Tapatalk

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
soft tossers always have scared me. how buehrle got away with it is beyond me. pin point control i guess

Sent from my Rotary Phone using Tapatalk

And insane pitching theory knowledge. It's a dangerous path to walk, but the guys who do survive tend to do so for a long time. It's weird.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
RS/RBI...

I find RBI to be useless on the whole, whereas RS still does hold SOME water with me, but not too much. I'm not an advocate of the one number, or of a set of three numbers, I think looking at a whole stat line tells you something.

I think the five most common hitter numbers I use are wOBA, wRC+ OBP, SLG, and BsR.

Pitching it's a bit more basic, IP, QS, K%, BB%, and FIP.

The other numbers I do take into consideration, I still use average from time to time but basically that's where I tend to go.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
RS/RBI...

I find RBI to be useless on the whole, whereas RS still does hold SOME water with me, but not too much. I'm not an advocate of the one number, or of a set of three numbers, I think looking at a whole stat line tells you something.

I think the five most common hitter numbers I use are wOBA, wRC+ OBP, SLG, and BsR.

Pitching it's a bit more basic, IP, QS, K%, BB%, and FIP.

The other numbers I do take into consideration, I still use average from time to time but basically that's where I tend to go.

If you can judge value outside of seeing the player and reading the box score you've crossed the line from fan to businessman for me

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
If you can judge value outside of seeing the player and reading the box score you've crossed the line from fan to businessman for me

I think ultimately this is a results based business, and for players the results are the prime thing that matters.

A guy like Emilio Bonifacio is good to have around because he is a professional who understands what it takes to play in this league and on young teams he can provide those types of teaching moments that help kids grow up, but as soon as he stops hitting for an extended period of time he's gone (ala TOR and KC).

justaChifan

Liked Posts:
I think ultimately this is a results based business, and for players the results are the prime thing that matters.

A guy like Emilio Bonifacio is good to have around because he is a professional who understands what it takes to play in this league and on young teams he can provide those types of teaching moments that help kids grow up, but as soon as he stops hitting for an extended period of time he's gone (ala TOR and KC).

Who will the teachers be?

justaChifan

Liked Posts:
Fa/trade

Love the way I have to log again after I post something that might be critical against the plan.

So each year there will be new teachers?
No continuity?

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Love the way I have to log again after I post something that might be critical against the plan.

So each year there will be new teachers?
No continuity?

Where u get that????

justaChifan

Liked Posts:
Bonifacio,
It was just stated that Emilio is good to have around for his veteran leadership, teacher so to speak.
But once he cools off he's as good as gone.

justaChifan

Liked Posts:
Bonifacio,
It was just stated that Emilio is good to have around for his veteran leadership, teacher so to speak.
This coming from the BP writer

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
Bonifacio,
This coming from the BP writer

Ricky is a teacher.

Castro and Rizzo are the continuity and there's a lot to like about Rizzo's makeup in terms of leadership.

Bonifacio is fairly immaterial in the long run, he is literally a journeyman like Francouer, a guy you invite to camp and if he produces, great. If not, no big loss.

justaChifan

Liked Posts:
MRubio, are you honestly saying that Rizzo and Castro are the veteran leadership that's going to help assimilate the young kids coming up?

That could be a problem.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
MRubio, are you honestly saying that Rizzo and Castro are the veteran leadership that's going to help assimilate the young kids coming up?

That could be a problem.

I'm saying their the continuity and Rizzo is a guy players respect for a variety of reasons.

Don't think age has much to do with Rizzo's ability to lead in all honesty.

justaChifan

Liked Posts:
I know it's an often asked question but when do YOU think the Cubs will be up and running and ready for sustained success that the vast majority of meatball fans(like myself )can hope for what was promised.
You being a BP writer and all.