Sun-Times: Bears' plan is Borom at LT, Jenkins at RT. Hopefully one of them sticks for 2023.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
For the most part, I like all the Bears' beat reporters' podcasts.

Halas Intrigue, Episode 223: What to make of Bears’ OTAs

In the Sun-Times' latest episode of the podcast Halas Intrigue, Jason Lieser, Mark Potash and Patrick Finley shared their thoughts on OTAs. The biggest thing that jumped out at me was the O-Line talk, which included a few nuggets:

-From what they're hearing and what we've seen so far, the Bears 2022 plan is Jenkins at RT and Borom at LT.

-The hope is that at least one of them stick for 2023 and beyond.

-Jenkins isn't super happy to be at RT, but he'll do whatever they ask of him and make the most of it.

-They believe the new coaching staff is purposely making it clear to good players from the Pace era that they're starting from square one and will have to re-earn it. (Nothing wrong with that.) Eberflus sees himself as a CEO who doesn't have any personal ties and will make it all about business.

-The only Bears veteran the coaching staff has been complimentary of is Darnell Mooney.

-Eberflus tries his best not to actually say anything to the media, whether on- or off-camera. Perhaps the kudos for transparency were too soon. "He's so insistent and determined on not saying anything, on just not divulging *anything* at all."

-Eberflus definitely sending a message to Jaylon Johnson that he's going to have to earn it, and that Coach E. isn't happy with him missing minicamp. (Comes as no surprise to anyone.)

-Fields is going to have to do a lot of improvising to buy time this year. The key will be whatever Luke Getsy's plan is **after** teams start keying in on stopping Fields from rolling out. What's the plan then? That will be key for this offense. (This was Lieser's point. Finley countered that the Bears are probably not actually going to ask Fields to do a ton---They're likely going to run the ball a lot, easing that chess game burden on Fields.)

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I don't think the Bears are going to run the ball as much as people think. Literally 0 teams ran more than the passed last year. And they aren't going to be stubborn about running the ball. If teams try to stack the box to stop the run game and stop him from getting outside the pocket, the coaches are going to have to be confident that Fields can stand in the pocket and throw the ball down the field. They aren't going to run just for the sake of running or for the sake of protecting Fields. If they can't run, they are going to have to find a way to throw the ball.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I don't think the Bears are going to run the ball as much as people think. Literally 0 teams ran more than the passed last year. And they aren't going to be stubborn about running the ball. If teams try to stack the box to stop the run game and stop him from getting outside the pocket, the coaches are going to have to be confident that Fields can stand in the pocket and throw the ball down the field. They aren't going to run just for the sake of running or for the sake of protecting Fields. If they can't run, they are going to have to find a way to throw the ball.

Expect Bears to run play action to trick defenses and keep them on their toes while speedsters like Mooney/VJJ head downfield.

The Doctor

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
Expect Bears to run play action to trick defenses and keep them on their toes while speedsters like Mooney/VJJ head downfield.
They are going to have to run effectively in order for play action to work. I read somewhere that all the top teams in the league had decent enough running games to keep defenses honest. I don't remember where I read it, but I'm feeling too lazy to look it up right now. Makes sense though.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
-From what they're hearing and what we've seen so far, the Bears 2022 plan is Jenkins at RT and Borom at LT.

-Jenkins isn't super happy to be at RT, but he'll do whatever they ask of him and make the most of it.

-Eberflus definitely sending a message to Jaylon Johnson that he's going to have to earn it, and that Coach E. isn't happy with him missing minicamp. (Comes as no surprise to anyone.)
A 2nd and a 3rd for Jenkins and it's looking like he's not an LT. Another brilliant move by Pace during the 2021 "Historic Draft Class." We gotta pray this guy doesn't end up a RG.

Good to see the Flus holding Jaylon accountable.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
They are going to have to run effectively in order for play action to work. I read somewhere that all the top teams in the league had decent enough running games to keep defenses honest. I don't remember where I read it, but I'm feeling too lazy to look it up right now. Makes sense though.
This is simply not true. PA can be effective even if the run game isn't working.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
On Eberflus: yeah he’sa coach he’s not coming to divulge much. He also has said multiple times, even in this report that everyone starts over so where is the problem with transparency? They haven’t even started camp.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Play action works even when your run game sucks. They have been a few studies on this.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
In addition to the run game Bears will run a lot more screens, slants and other high percentage passes as an extension of the run game. Then pick their spots to attack downfield.

greg23

Liked Posts:
there were teams that ran more than they passed, literally

msadows

Liked Posts:
Hopefully they don't get fields killed in the process.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
A 2nd and a 3rd for Jenkins and it's looking like he's not an LT. Another brilliant move by Pace during the 2021 "Historic Draft Class." We gotta pray this guy doesn't end up a RG.

Good to see the Flus holding Jaylon accountable.
Who really cares what position he is on the line as long as he's good at it?

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
there were teams that ran more than they passed, literally

Only the Titans, Eagles & Saints had more rushing attempts than passing attempts. But if you take into account sacks and scrambles, then exactly 0 teams called more runs than passes.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Only the Titans, Eagles & Saints had more rushing attempts than passing attempts. But if you take into account sacks and scrambles, then exactly 0 teams called more runs than passes.
Maybe all those sacks were called runs that the qb audibled into passes???

This is a fun game to play

Fact is; there were teams who ran more than they passed....the Bears would be best suited to be as close to 50-50 as possible

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
In addition to the run game Bears will run a lot more screens, slants and other high percentage passes as an extension of the run game. Then pick their spots to attack downfield.
I've always thought the Bears were the one team that was the absolute worst at running the screen pass.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
I've always thought the Bears were the one team that was the absolute worst at running the screen pass.
Couldn’t agree more. Call a ton of screens but have no idea how to execute them. And I felt like they are the one team that has no idea what a slant route is

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Couldn’t agree more. Call a ton of screens but have no idea how to execute them. And I felt like they are the one team that has no idea what a slant route is
Because they didn't really run a whole lot of slants. It was all hooks and come backs