Sun-Times: Bears' plan is Borom at LT, Jenkins at RT. Hopefully one of them sticks for 2023.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
"Literally 0 teams ran more than the passed last year."

3 teams ran more than they passed; literally.

You can make up excuses for sacks, qb scrambles, tfl; audibles; etc......the official stats show that 3 teams had more rush attempts than pass attempts......literally.
My stats were official too, though. And from a more analytical source than the counting source you cited. So, clearly there's some gray area here that you refuse to acknowledge. Which is fine. You can say and type whatever you want. Doesn't make me wrong though, no matter how much you argue semantics of the word "literally".

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Yeah, but it's not. Even if you just look at sacks, which are counted and easily quantified as a drop back to distinguish between a pass play call and a designed QB run which would be a TFL, that only leaves the Eagles as a team that ran more than passed.

And saying, "running plays vs. passing plays" makes you more wrong that if you said rushes vs. pass attempts.

@HeHateMe is Greg always this incorrect?

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nagy is a fucking cunt for not running this OL lineup or something like it last season to get the rooks reps and see what they got.

Especially since it was apparent so early the team wasn't gon go very far.

Fuckin maddening.

Cause personally, I have a lot of optimism for Borom at LT and Jenkins at RT. I really think they could be long term solutions.

It's encouraging that Flus is also leaning this way imo.

Just fuckin maddening they're still such an unknown when they could have easily started 6+ games last year.

greg23

Liked Posts:
My stats were official too, though. And from a more analytical source than the counting source you cited. So, clearly there's some gray area here that you refuse to acknowledge. Which is fine. You can say and type whatever you want. Doesn't make me wrong though, no matter how much you argue semantics of the word "literally".
Using your method (which is based on assumptions and not official) you STILL acknowledged there was a team who ran more than they passed.......

So.....

There was a team in 2021 that ran more than they passed.....LITERALLY.

Bearcub13

Liked Posts:
For the most part, I like all the Bears' beat reporters' podcasts.

Halas Intrigue, Episode 223: What to make of Bears’ OTAs

In the Sun-Times' latest episode of the podcast Halas Intrigue, Jason Lieser, Mark Potash and Patrick Finley shared their thoughts on OTAs. The biggest thing that jumped out at me was the O-Line talk, which included a few nuggets:

-From what they're hearing and what we've seen so far, the Bears 2022 plan is Jenkins at RT and Borom at LT.

-The hope is that at least one of them stick for 2023 and beyond.

-Jenkins isn't super happy to be at RT, but he'll do whatever they ask of him and make the most of it.

-They believe the new coaching staff is purposely making it clear to good players from the Pace era that they're starting from square one and will have to re-earn it. (Nothing wrong with that.) Eberflus sees himself as a CEO who doesn't have any personal ties and will make it all about business.

-The only Bears veteran the coaching staff has been complimentary of is Darnell Mooney.

-Eberflus tries his best not to actually say anything to the media, whether on- or off-camera. Perhaps the kudos for transparency were too soon. "He's so insistent and determined on not saying anything, on just not divulging *anything* at all."

-Eberflus definitely sending a message to Jaylon Johnson that he's going to have to earn it, and that Coach E. isn't happy with him missing minicamp. (Comes as no surprise to anyone.)

-Fields is going to have to do a lot of improvising to buy time this year. The key will be whatever Luke Getsy's plan is **after** teams start keying in on stopping Fields from rolling out. What's the plan then? That will be key for this offense. (This was Lieser's point. Finley countered that the Bears are probably not actually going to ask Fields to do a ton---They're likely going to run the ball a lot, easing that chess game burden on Fields.)
The answer is obvious if the defense schemes to stop roll outs, the read/run and seam plays will be more successful. That is what good offenses do, take advantage of defensive over reach. Einstein was right, you can't be in two places at once.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Using your method (which is based on assumptions and not official) you STILL acknowledged there was a team who ran more than they passed.......

So.....

There was a team in 2021 that ran more than they passed.....LITERALLY.
Using the source I cited (IDK how this is MY method), then LITERALLY NOBODY ran more than they passed. I only used JUST SACKS to argue that what I gave you was based on assumptions and not official, because sacks are very quantifiable and are very official for the last 40 years. And you can't get a sack on a run play, so IDK what's unofficial about that. The only assumption part here is that a QB scramble isn't a designed scramble and was called as a pass play. And my source used actual play data, yours just counted boxscores.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Using the source I cited (IDK how this is MY method), then LITERALLY NOBODY ran more than they passed. I only used JUST SACKS to argue that what I gave you was based on assumptions and not official, because sacks are very quantifiable and are very official for the last 40 years. And you can't get a sack on a run play, so IDK what's unofficial about that. The only assumption part here is that a QB scramble isn't a designed scramble and was called as a pass play. And my source used actual play data, yours just counted boxscores.

He just needs to take the L on this and let it go.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
He dropped because of back concerns and shorter than optimum LT arms. Nobody questioned his feet, mobility or strength. He was a 1st round grade sure thing RT with good LT potential.
"his short arms and average range in pass sets could be something to keep an eye on"

Range in pass sets is absolutely a foot speed issue. And yes it was a concern. The Bears drafted him because they had needs at both RT and LT so it didn't matter where he ended up. Its right there in the NFL.com draft writeup that you posted.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Those aren't related to official end of season run plays vs pass play stats....but I'll quote you again:

And

"Even if you just look at sacks, which are counted and easily quantified as a drop back to distinguish between a pass play call and a designed QB run which would be a TFL, that only leaves the Eagles as a team that ran more than passed."

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
This coaching staff has no allegiance to Borom or Jenkins, at least any more than the 4 rookie OL draft picks. Everyone has to prove it. And with as many dudes Poles drafted I think he is just playing the scratch off lottery hoping to get one or two guys that stick.

At the same time, its interesting the staff wants to go this route instead of trying out a veteran like Eric Fisher or Darryl Williams. So the staff must like some things they are seeing. Just need find the best unit.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Those aren't related to official end of season run plays vs pass play stats....but I'll quote you again:

And

"Even if you just look at sacks, which are counted and easily quantified as a drop back to distinguish between a pass play call and a designed QB run which would be a TFL, that only leaves the Eagles as a team that ran more than passed."
Yes, I'm aware what I said. You're just arguing the word "literally". Which, sure in a literal sense, 3 teams had more rushes than passes based on counting stats. But in the actual sense, when you take into account dropbacks (which would only happen on a pass play) then LITERALLY nobody ran more rushing plays than passing plays.

I stand by what I said, which is correct. You are also correct based on your stat. My stat is much more of an accurate representation of what happened.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
This coaching staff has no allegiance to Borom or Jenkins, at least any more than the 4 rookie OL draft picks. Everyone has to prove it. And with as many dudes Poles drafted I think he is just playing the scratch off lottery hoping to get one or two guys that stick.

At the same time, its interesting the staff wants to go this route instead of trying out a veteran like Eric Fisher or Darryl Williams. So the staff must like some things they are seeing. Just need find the best unit.
I think it says more about Fisher (shadow of his former self with injuries) and Williams (scheme fit) than it does about current Bears players. Doesn't really make sense with the way the offseason went to spend big money on a lineman just to block Borom and Jones when the team isn't going to be a contender anyway.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
I think it says more about Fisher (shadow of his former self with injuries) and Williams (scheme fit) than it does about current Bears players. Doesn't really make sense with the way the offseason went to spend big money on a lineman just to block Borom and Jones when the team isn't going to be a contender anyway.
For me, it's not so much as trying to contend as it is about ensuring you are able to competently protect your young franchise QB. All because we've drafted 4 OL doesn't mean any if them are actually going to step up and be ready their rookie year. They could. And I like most of their tape that I've seen. But thats not a wise move to go in the season depending on them to protect your biggest assett.

That's why I think the staff must be seeing something out of Borom and Jenkins they like. Signing a veteran makes too much sense after missing out on an OL early in the draft. Because even if the veteran doesnt perform their best, they provide a floor and barometer for the OL room. Plus, our OL unit has very little overall experience. White-haired is really the only proven player with multiple years of starting experience.