Supposedly, today is the day the Bears tell Fangio to shit or get off the pot.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
Yes, but doesn't the DC hire the position coaches who he wants to work for him?

The the Bears want to move forward with making the hire so they can choose available coordinators before other teams hire their head coaches. The good thing about the Bears making the hire early is that they get to choose from a larger coordinator list. That list dwindles down the longer you wait to select the head coach.

Jack Lame

Liked Posts:
Bears have some leverage/safety net here. If the Schumer/Fangio to Arizona marriage rumor is true, than they can just sign Bettcher as DC. You could also give Ed Donnatell a year to "prove it" as a defensive coordinator, if it doesn't work out, Todd Bowles I'm sure will be out in New York next season, and you have a strong Nagy/Bowles connection(Matt's dad coached Todd in HS) so you bring in Todd as a big time DC in 2019.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
There are plenty of options fangio isn’t the king of dc of the nfl.

He didn’t want to be here last year you think pace doesn’t have a list of guys as back up plans?

KoreanBear

Liked Posts:
Pace, if you look at what he did with MT and Nagy, is a guy who identifies his person and goes gets him at all cost.
I feel he's giving Fangio time out of respect, but probably does have a backup plan already.
No worries.

cbo0485

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
With all this worry about Fangio and staying or going, i almost wonder if it's something like he's on vacation this past week and that's why he hasn't signed yet

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
Adam Jahns@adamjahns
2m2 minutes ago
All eyes now on Vic Fangio. #Bears want to give him time. But eventually this could become test of team’s patience.
Very insightful. Bears want him but will have to move on if it drags on too long.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Don't know if he's right, but Jeff Dickerson reported yesterday that the longer this drags along, the more likely Fangio comes back to the Bears. His reasoning was that Fangio's not taking courtship from anyone else right now (hey, that's what he insists), and with Fangio likely not ready to retire, that just leaves the Bears. He says if Fangio was legitimately thinking of leaving for another team, he'd already be meeting with other people right now, whether they're out of the playoffs or not.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Don't know if he's right, but Jeff Dickerson reported yesterday that the longer this drags along, the more likely Fangio comes back to the Bears. His reasoning was that Fangio's not taking courtship from anyone else right now (hey, that's what he insists), and with Fangio likely not ready to retire, that just leaves the Bears.

There are other teams that will need DCs.....Pats, potentially Vikes, Cards, Colts

Toast88

Liked Posts:
There are other teams that will need DCs.....Pats, potentially Vikes, Cards, Colts

But he's not meeting with any of those teams currently, which is Dickerson's point. He's saying Fangio wouldn't just be sitting on his ass right now if he was seriously considering going elsewhere.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Hub was saying that Chuck Pagano could be another option for DC on his podcast
He is obviously not the first choice, or he would have already been hired.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
DaBearsBlog@dabearsblog
50s50 seconds ago
Criticism of Fangio taking his time is a bit silly. Who jumps at the first job they're offered without surveying the landscape, especially when the offer's from an organization that just passed you over for a promotion? Common sense, folks.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
I wonder how much of this at this point is for the locker room.

I mean, I really believe Nagy and Pace wanted Vic back initially, but I think Vic is balking, but wanting to string the Bears along for leverage purposes.

Being aggressive, I'm sure at this point they are prepared to move on, and can at least tell the locker room they tried. That doesn't mean they tell Vic to fuck off if he does say yes in the 11th hour, but I think they are done with the bullshit, not to mention the longer it goes on, the more Nagy has to wonder if Vic is a coach he can truly work with.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
But he's not meeting with any of those teams currently, which is Dickerson's point. He's saying Fangio wouldn't just be sitting on his ass right now if he was seriously considering going elsewhere.

welp.......

Pats still have a DC at this point but will need one shortly.

Vikes still have a DC but may or may not need one shortly

Cards, same boat

Colts will need a DC...don't have a HC yet so they wouldn't interview for DC until they get a HC

Fangio will have opportunities elsewhere. It is all timing. That is why he is not interviewing yet.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
I agree. The window for Fangio staying looks like it has passed. Something mucked up the deal where it was reported he was re-signing with the Bears a couple days ago. This almost surely means Fangio's lined up another gig.

At this point, if I was Pace, i'd cut bait and move on. Obviously, Fangio has reservations about staying with the Bears, and Nagy doesn't need anyone on his staff who's not 100% committed to the effort and wants to be part of the excitement they're generating at Halas Hall.

Lololol melodrama often? . He's a free agent for Christ sake. The bears, nor Fangio should be in a hurry. It's only been a few days and fans are acting like this is dragging on forever.

Both parties should explore all avenues before coming to a decision.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
welp.......

Pats still have a DC at this point but will need one shortly.

Vikes still have a DC but may or may not need one shortly

Cards, same boat

Colts will need a DC...don't have a HC yet so they wouldn't interview for DC until they get a HC

Fangio will have opportunities elsewhere. It is all timing. That is why he is not interviewing yet.

I get that. And I don’t mean to be carrying Dickerson’s water. Maybe he’s full of shit. But I would assume what he meant is we’d still be hearing about him talking to people. If he’s seriously thinking of leaving there’s no reason for him not to have talked extensively already with guys lining up for jobs or guys who know they’re going to have a coordinator position open. That wouldn’t be uncommon at all, especially for a guy who’s well-connected like Fangio. I’m not necessarily arguing the point one way or the other, but I don’t think that’s necessarily bad logic by the Bears beat reporter.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I get that. And I don’t mean to be carrying Dickerson’s water. Maybe he’s full of shit. But I would assume what he meant is we’d still be hearing about him talking to people. If he’s seriously thinking of leaving there’s no reason for him not to have talked extensively already with guys lining up for jobs or guys who know they’re going to have a coordinator position open. That wouldn’t be uncommon at all, especially for a guy who’s well-connected like Fangio. I’m not necessarily arguing the point one way or the other, but I don’t think that’s necessarily bad logic by the Bears beat reporter.

anything is possible at this point

sleke

Liked Posts:
Maybe Vic has personal business/issues to address first. Family, home, health??? Could that be the time/respect the team is allowing him? :thinking: