Swing Tackle?

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Anyone have any bloody idea who steps into Tackle if Leno or Massie goes down this season?

The Bears seem to be pretty deep on the interior but are needle thin at OT depth. If Grassu backs up Whitehair, Kush backs up Sitton and Morgan backs up Long that is 6 roster spots tied up with guys who are strictly interior guys.

Not sure how I feel about Compton or some other scrub as the swing tackle but that is all they are carrying now. The way I see it someone from that interior group will need to have the ability to kick out to OT in a pinch. Long has failed but maybe Whitehair could be cross trained especially if Grassu is healthy.

CNiel36

Liked Posts:
It will be Compton vs Sowell. Not A ton of faith in either. But I do like Compton a bit more. Best guess is we keep one of those 2 along with Morgan, Kush, and maybe Grassu. If we were in a pinch Long would have to move. Morgan played OT in college, so he could maybe make the move. But it's hard to put much stock in a 5th round rookie from a small school. A lot will be flushed out once the pads come on.

schizm032003

Liked Posts:
Right now I'd say it's between Sowell and Compton. I think they'd be decent backups but idk if they had to start. Of course we can always grab another, not sure who is left out there right now, or we could grab someone when roster cuts are made.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It will more than likely be Compton.

He is better than what the Bears have had in the past at the swing OT position. Mike Adams may have been the worst OLmen I have ever seen in an NFL game.

But Leno getting hurt would be an issue for sure.

WCL

Organ Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It will more than likely be Compton.

He is better than what the Bears have had in the past at the swing OT position. Mike Adams may have been the worst OLmen I have ever seen in an NFL game.

But Leno getting hurt would be an issue for sure.

When you compare his value to the team to his draft position, Leno's the Bears' best pick in at least 30 years, right?

Mr. Kyng

Liked Posts:
When you compare his value to the team to his draft position, Leno's the Bears' best pick in at least 30 years, right?
You could certainly make that argument

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

By a fairly wide margin. To get competent and consistent LT play from a 7th round pick is exceptionally rare.

That is why the people who want him replaced so quickly surprise me. The free agent class next year is hot garbage and the draft would require a 1st or 2nd round pick at the spot, most likely a 1st round pick.

I think a DB or WR will be a more pressing need at that time.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It will be Compton vs Sowell. Not A ton of faith in either. But I do like Compton a bit more. Best guess is we keep one of those 2 along with Morgan, Kush, and maybe Grassu. If we were in a pinch Long would have to move. Morgan played OT in college, so he could maybe make the move. But it's hard to put much stock in a 5th round rookie from a small school. A lot will be flushed out once the pads come on.

Morgan looks like he has some mauler in him, I like his prospects of turning into a nice run blocking OG. But I would not count on him being on an island. I would not be surprised if Whitehair could step in at RT in the event of an emergency and not embarrass himself, even with his lack of ideal length.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

The only positions that would be a bigger steal in the 7th round is a franchise QB or dominant pass rusher.

Reactions: WCL

bufordht

Liked Posts:
By a fairly wide margin. To get competent and consistent LT play from a 7th round pick is exceptionally rare.

That is why the people who want him replaced so quickly surprise me. The free agent class next year is hot garbage and the draft would require a 1st or 2nd round pick at the spot, most likely a 1st round pick.

Agreed. I would think if the cards fall right we could see a WR in the first and RT in the second. The O could possibly be an impressive unit with a couple good picks and some luck.

Hammer

Liked Posts:
I wonder what would Cutler say about Bears OT quality (Leno & Massie).

All in all, Bears have mediocre OT's (Leno being better of two) whom both should be replaced in 2018 Offseason if a team wants to provide adequate protection to their QB of the future (Trubisky).
OK, Leno could be used in a swing tackle role, or as RT if he bulks up and gets more stronger.

Btw. considering 2018 Draft, I'm fairly certain Bears will again have Top 10 pick (possibly Top 5), so they should target premium positions like OT (Mike McGlinchey) or OLB (Arden Key) there (definitely not CB or WR).

JeffChrist

Liked Posts:
Damn, I didn't even think about backup T. We have no one.

I believe the Bears will probably go LT in the first round next year to help protect our new QB. If we hit on a LT and everyone else stays healthy, we'd have a really sick O-line. Probably up there with Dallas among the best in the league.

cubby chubby

Liked Posts:
I believe Pace is at this moment is most likely scouting every college power forward to convert to OT ala George Fant.

BaBaBlacksheep

Jordan Sigler Super Fan
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

It's always easy to rant that this player or that player needs to go. The hard part of course is finding a better replacement. It really wasn't that long ago that we had a lot worse than Leno. Some Bears fans have short memories apparently.

PickSix

Liked Posts:
No worries for 2018. Leno probably bolts town because of a hot market, and he can't stand Pace and his negotiation tactics. Then ole Pacey will show us how much more intelligent he is than anybody else by finding a guy coming off injury that flashed some goodness years back who wants a one year prove it deal.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Anyone have any bloody idea who steps into Tackle if Leno or Massie goes down this season?

The Bears seem to be pretty deep on the interior but are needle thin at OT depth. If Grassu backs up Whitehair, Kush backs up Sitton and Morgan backs up Long that is 6 roster spots tied up with guys who are strictly interior guys.

Not sure how I feel about Compton or some other scrub as the swing tackle but that is all they are carrying now. The way I see it someone from that interior group will need to have the ability to kick out to OT in a pinch. Long has failed but maybe Whitehair could be cross trained especially if Grassu is healthy.

I'm not 100% on this but didn't Long make the pro bowl that year he played RT?? It could of been as an alternate cause whichever RT that was nominated didn't go to the pro bowl for whatever reason but i'm pretty sure Long did go to the pro bowl that year.

I think either one of T.Compton or Sowell will be on the 53 to play the swing tackle spot and i'm also not 100% sure they don't think J.Morgan can't play RT in the NFL but i just don't see him as being ready to play.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Agreed. I would think if the cards fall right we could see a WR in the first and RT in the second. The O could possibly be an impressive unit with a couple good picks and some luck.

I'm hoping for Derwin James to be honest but there's gonna be many open positions of need again next year.

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I'd be surprised if they didn't pick someone up before camp. It's a weakness, no doubt. Hopefully Glennon isn't cracked like a twig.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Wait a second.....I've heard repeatedly on this forum that Leno sucks. Is this not true?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I wonder what would Cutler say about Bears OT quality (Leno & Massie).

All in all, Bears have mediocre OT's (Leno being better of two) whom both should be replaced in 2018 Offseason if a team wants to provide adequate protection to their QB of the future (Trubisky).
OK, Leno could be used in a swing tackle role, or as RT if he bulks up and gets more stronger.

Btw. considering 2018 Draft, I'm fairly certain Bears will again have Top 10 pick (possibly Top 5), so they should target premium positions like OT (Mike McGlinchey) or OLB (Arden Key) there (definitely not CB or WR).

It just is not realistic to replace both of them. Unless you are spending money in free agency and a top draft pick.

Look at the Vikings who upgrade both tackle spots and are severely over paying 2 okay OTs.