Teravainen Signs Entry Level Contract

JOVE23

Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="winos5" data-cid="208038" data-time="1377229925">
<div>

Teravainen signs 3 year ELC</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

I'll drink to this</p>

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Sooo..... I am not up on all my contract speak, what ramifications does this actually have?  I know the article says he's still in Europe, but what clocks and such does this start? Does it actually mean anything until he's in the system? I assume if he's playing for Jokerit, they are paying him not the hawks? I honestly don't know how it all works. And I have a pounding headache.</p>

Forklift

Liked Posts:
Since he's still only 18, the Hawks can take advantage of a "slide" year - if he plays 9 games or less, his 3-year deal doesn't go into effect until next season (They used the 9 games in the slide on Morin a few years ago). So he can still play in Jokerit this season.</p>

</p>

This signing is really key because this is Jokerit's last season in SM-Liga (Finland's top league). Next season they move to the KHL, and the Hawks could have wound up in a bidding war. Now they can bring him over with a lot fewer headaches.</p>

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
And there's Forklift to "lift up" our knowledge level. Thank you for the explanation, I was unsure too.</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

<span style="font-size:8px;">See what I did there?</span></p>

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
Not only that, but like Kruger did, he could come over after his season in Finland is over and potentially step into the Hawks lineup during the playoff run and post season without needing to pass through waivers or sit out of the post season like Leblanc.

Forklift

Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Tater" data-cid="208076" data-time="1377287261">
<div>

And there's Forklift to "lift up" our knowledge level. Thank you for the explanation, I was unsure too.</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

<span style="font-size:8px;">See what I did there?</span></p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

You'll ruin my "Smirking Nobody" reputation...</p>

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Details</p>

</p>

According to that Teuvo's clock has started.</p>

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="winos5" data-cid="208082" data-time="1377291114">
<div>

Details</p>

</p>

</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

Biological?</p>

bookjones

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="winos5" data-cid="208082" data-time="1377291114">
<div>

Details</p>

</p>

</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

</p>

Only theoretically or "temporarily" if you will.  You drilled too deep into the Blackhawks Capgeek page.</p>

</p>

</p>

dekw87.png
</p>

</p>

^ Note the "EL SR" = Entry Level Slide Rule</p>

(but what they essentially mean is that it's SR "eligible" for now is my understanding)</p>

</p>

</p>

When any contract gets signed at any level all Capgeek can reasonably  do is work along default assumptions or a default baseline that it it is what it is---a face value contract because the new regular season has not started yet. They can't begin to speculate about all the vagaries of what might happen between the signing and the start of the new season i.e., does a prospect (Teravainen) get invited to come to their team's TC, does Teravainen remain uninjured over in Finland in order to come to TC, does he have a successful TC and pre-season round of games, does the team send him back to his club after the preseason games and before the regular season games, do they allow him to play 1/2/3/? regular season games (that number is what would activate any activity on the contract per the CBA), etc., etc. Since no one knows how it's going to all shakedown Teravainen's contract has to for practical reasons be considered just another contract (just like say the brand new 2013 1st Rders who have already signed ELCs) but when they chauffeur his ass to the International Terminal at O'Hare and ship him back off to Helsinki then they have clearly chosen to use the Slide Rule because since he has a contract they are officially assigning him on loan to Jokerit as long as he didn't play 10 regular season games in the NHL. I would expect once this all officially happens that Capgeek will change the 2013-14 line on Teuvo's page to explicitly read as "Entry-Level Slide" just like Danault and McNeills have for the past two seasons when the Hawks assigned them back to their CHL teams. </p>

</p>

What remains to be seen now is what they might do about 2012 picks Fournier and Whitney (both in the QMJHL). I consider both of them very promising prospects and they both had good developmental seasons this past year. They have both already turned 19 yo in 2013 and the CBA dictates that your age is calculated based on whether you are 18 or 19 yo ON Sep. 15th of the year you sign your contract for slide eligibility. So they IF they were to sign their contracts in 2013 they are 19 yo. Same boat as Teravainen really because this is the last period of time until Dec. 31st the Hawks could get 1 yr slides for them since like TT the Hawks chose not to sign them when they were 18 yo post-Draft in 2012 and get 2 years of slide like McNeill and Danault---likely because of the contracts limits chokehold the Hawks were in all of 2012-13. I mean their 2-yr post-Draft signing deadlines are next June anyway and who knows what their plans are but you'd think the Hawks would want the safety net insurance of a freeebie slide year for them just in case they wind up playing/needing them to play CHL overage seasons. </p>

bookjones

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="MassHavoc" data-cid="208068" data-time="1377281611">
<div>

Sooo..... I am not up on all my contract speak, what ramifications does this actually have?  I know the article says he's still in Europe, but what clocks and such does this start? Does it actually mean anything until he's in the system? I assume if he's playing for Jokerit, they are paying him not the hawks? I honestly don't know how it all works. And I have a pounding headache.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

Asshole. You should have considering how many fucking times I mentioned Teravainen and the Hawks potentially slide contracting him (and some others)  in the 2012-13 Non-AHL Prospects thread. SMH.  :p  </p>

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
Teravainen is back in town btw for anyone that cares.</p>

</p>

He went back to Finland for a couple months but is back.</p>

</p>

Not that I'd know....</p>

</p>

Love you books and I know you love me..... moomintroll.</p>

bookjones

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
nnv3g9.png
</p>

</p>

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/blackhawks/post/_/id/4676765/agent-teravainen-a-year-away-from-nhl</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

And yes, I think his agent is playing a little semantically fast and loose with the whole "NHL ready" angle but not in a hyperbolic or arrogantly asshole-y way---more just I think he honestly believes Teravainen could technically play because he has Pro men's league experience and will have more once the 2013-14 season concludes and when combined with his exceedingly high regard for his skill. I personally still think he will need to go to Rockford in 2014. He's of course played in N.A. on our size ice before and played well but it's always been within the context of playing with his age group peers in compressed Jrs. tournaments, camps, and his 2012 Prospect Camp and while he's played against the N.A. style during those times he's never played within a N.A. system. Plus there's the issue of the speed of the Pro game here, culture shock, home sickness, more games more often than he's used to in the FEL, the need to keep working on his size, etc.,etc.,etc. I preach patience as I always have with him.</p>

bookjones

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="WickedWrister" data-cid="208102" data-time="1377321060">
<div>

Teravainen is back in town btw for anyone that cares.</p>

</p>

He went back to Finland for a couple months but is back.</p>

</p>

Not that I'd know....</p>

</p>

Love you books and I know you love me..... moomintroll.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

</p>

I'm not even going to ask WhyTF your name has changed Moomintroll.</p>

</p>

In any event, are you saying that Teuvo came here today/Friday because as of Thur. afternoon he had played with Jokerit in one of their pre-reg season European Trophy games. . .and notched 2 PP assists for his efforts to boot!</p>

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="bookjones" data-cid="208105" data-time="1377323217">
<div>

I'm not even going to ask WhyTF your name has changed Moomintroll.</p>

</p>

In any event, are you saying that Teuvo came here today/Friday because as of Thur. afternoon he had played with Jokerit in one of their pre-reg season European Trophy games. . .and notched 2 PP assists for his efforts to boot!</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

You can ask Ton why I'm not allowed.</p>

bookjones

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
And some background info. about Teravainen's agent mentioned and quoted in that article to give some context and so he doesn't seem like he might be a homer crank for his agency's client pool. He's one of the founders of Acme Sports which was originally founded 20 years ago with none other than that bane of the Hawks hockey ops existence agent Bill Zito AND my boy Jarmo Kekalainen (<---who y'all know I adore and hold in HIGH regard). Jarmo's been divested of Acme since he went to scout for the Sens back in the day so it's been Zito and Lehto since the mid-90s though since Jarmo is such a talent evaluating stud motherfucker he's always still steered prospective clients their way. And I've mentioned here before that Jarmo thinks VERY highly of Teravainen's talent and potential from being his Jokerit GM the past few years when he turned that franchise back around for the good before leaving for CBJ this year. Such a nice almost father-son like vibe when Teuvo turned around and got a huge hug and congrats from Jarmo on Draft day---he seemed so genuinely proud of him. The firm naturally specializes in the Finnish players and were just ranked by Forbes as the #8 largest NHL agency (offices in Chicago and Helsinki hence all our Zito dealings). And of course as y'all already know from last week's news now Zito is divesting from the firm and getting out of the agent game because he is leaving to become Kekalainen's Asst. GM for the CBJ. That whole trio is *clearly* tight.</p>

bookjones

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="WickedWrister" data-cid="208106" data-time="1377323759">
<div>

You can ask Ton why I'm not allowed.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

</p>

Yeah. . .pass. Not that important.</p>

</p>

<strike>And you still didn't answer my question about Teuvo. Is it that you somehow know for certain he was flown here on Friday? </strike></p>

bookjones

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah. . .I am thinking NOT on the whole he's here tip as I suspected.</p>

</p>

</p>

69q5wh.png
</p>

</p>

</p>

Moomintroll that was some #postingFAIL brah.</p>

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
There really isn't going to be any room next year in our top 6 if he comes over.  Hawks still have Kane, Toews, Sharp, Hossa, Bickell all tied up with Saad/Pirri in their somewhere.  Though, if Bickell shows up as the regular season variety he has given us the past few years, there will be a spot wide open at LW.  Or he could try for Pirri's spot as the 2nd line C. </p>