Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Agreed. Remember, people laughed when Dallas traded their best player, Herschel Walker, to Minnesota for picks. True, Walker was older than Mack, but still. Which team won 3 Super Bowls?

Minnesota gave up three 1st and 2nd round picks. They also gave up a third and a sixth. They received two 3rds, a 10th and Walker.

Gruden will never live down this trade.

cd35

Liked Posts:
This trade is not bad for Gruden at all. People are being ridiculous. If this trade was made in the 1980's then yes it could be terrible giving up a player like Mack. But this is an offense driven league now and the rules hamper defenses. If Gruden hits on both his #1 picks he wins. If Trubs continues to develop into a good qb and the offense is good Bears win too.

Mack dominated the GB game and had the best defensive performance since 1982. And they lost. Great defenses can't hold good offenses to nothing anymore, the rules don't allow it. They will eventually give up some points. You don't need a great defense. You need a decent to good one with a good offense. If you have a great defense and no offense you're not winning anything in this league anymore.

msadows

Liked Posts:
This trade is not bad for Gruden at all. People are being ridiculous. If this trade was made in the 1980's then yes it could be terrible giving up a player like Mack. But this is an offense driven league now and the rules hamper defenses. If Gruden hits on both his #1 picks he wins. If Trubs continues to develop into a good qb and the offense is good Bears win too.

Mack dominated the GB game and had the best defensive performance since 1982. And they lost. Great defenses can't hold good offenses to nothing anymore, the rules don't allow it. They will eventually give up some points. You don't need a great defense. You need a decent to good one with a good offense. If you have a great defense and no offense you're not winning anything in this league anymore.

The only way to combat a great offense in the league now is to have a great pass rush. The greenbay game was the first game of the season, and thus they caught us sleeping. Guarantee you if the same opportunity presented itself, it wouldnt have ended the same way for the packers.

And the trade is going to go down as stupid AF, he will basically trade Mack for a mid 20's 1st rounder and a pick swap of a few spots.

We will seriously trade like the 26th pick next season for the 34th pick. We didnt even trade 2 firsts.

Yea, this trade is horrible for gruden. You dont trade a guy who is on pace for a possible DPOY for a first round pick and a pick swap.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Gruden has a 10 year contract....he's not worried about making a winner in the next year or two.....

It is almost certainly likely they won't draft another Mack. They are banking on getting decent controllable players....I think their biggest miscalculation, hopefully, is that the Bears draft picks they receive won't exactly be in prime territory for a high quality player...I think they were banking on a good pick from the Bears.....it may be in the 20s and hopefully on the wrong side of 25

Yeah they look like they will get screwed on the draft picks if we are a playoff contender but it is a trade you have to make.

By way of comparison, imagine Pace in year 1 of his rebuild giving a defender 23.5 million. That would pay the guy 70+ million for years that you aren't competing and most likely result in lower draft picks in those 3 years as he adds a couple wins to your win total. Then when you are ready to compete, you will then have to decide whether to pay a 30-31 year old big money. Really not a good use of money.

Trading one of the greatest defensive players in NFL history in his prime for two first round picks likely in the 20s is something that Gruden will never live down.

He will live it down if he builds a winner. Pretty simple really. See above, it is a dumb investment for a team going nowhere to blow 23.5 million a year and hurt their draft position for 3 or more years. If Gruden should be criticized it should be as Modo noted for not trading him to a team with a worse chance of competing like say the Jets. But I make that trade every single time if I am him.

What is a team that probably should be 3-13 going to do with a 23.5 million defender for the 3 years of non-competition? If you are rebuilding, would you rather finish 3-13 or say 6-10 because Mack blew up some games. That is the difference between a top rated QB or having to sell the farm to get one because again, I think Gruden will move on from Carr.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Yeah they look like they will get screwed on the draft picks if we are a playoff contender but it is a trade you have to make.

By way of comparison, imagine Pace in year 1 of his rebuild giving a defender 23.5 million. That would pay the guy 70+ million for years that you aren't competing and most likely result in lower draft picks in those 3 years as he adds a couple wins to your win total. Then when you are ready to compete, you will then have to decide whether to pay a 30-31 year old big money. Really not a good use of money.

Yawn, he will live it down if he builds a winner. Pretty simple really. See above, it is a dumb investment for a team going nowhere to blow 23.5 million a year and hurt their draft position for 3 or more years. If Gruden should be criticized it should be as Modo noted for not trading him to a team with a worse chance of competing like say the Jets. But I make that trade every single time if I am him. What is a team that probably should be 3-13 going to do with a 23.5 million defender for the 3 years of non-competition?

They just had a 12 win season in 2016 ruined by a QB injury late in the year. To assume they would be non competing for these 3 years is not correct; unless of course Gruden doesn't believe in this team hence why he will tear it down.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
They just had a 12 win season in 2016 ruined by a QB injury late in the year. To assume they would be non competing for these 3 years is not correct; unless of course Gruden doesn't believe in this team hence why he will tear it down.

And haven't come close sense. What about the Raiders coming into this season made you think they were a playoff contender? Their defense sucked even with Mack. Mack makes sense for the Bears because they were top 10 and he has catapulted them into top 5. Mack essentially took a Raiders D that was say bottom 5 in the league and made them bottom 10. He is a luxury on a bad Raiders D. And given Derek playing more like his brother David these days, it sure looks like the right move.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
And haven't come close sense. What about the Raiders coming into this season made you think they were a playoff contender? Their defense sucked even with Mack. Mack makes sense for the Bears because they were top 10 and he has catapulted them into top 5. Mack essentially took a Raiders D that was say bottom 5 in the league and made them bottom 10. He is a luxury on a bad Raiders D. And given Derek playing more like his brother David these days, it sure looks like the right move.

I cannot believe how shitty Derek Carr has become. What the hell happened?

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:

He is on Pace to throw more passes this year than in his entire history.....that has resulted in good yards per attempt and TDs but he is also throwing into coverage like Cutler.....

He needs to be reigned in and they need to give it to Lynch more.....

Mr.Anderson

Liked Posts:
Gruden obviously in year 1 of his rebuild. No point paying a defender 23.5 million per year for 4 years so he can Lovie Smith you out of a high draft pick.

Just like Pace, it is in Gruden best interests for the Raiders to be in contention for a top 5 pick these next few years. Win win for both teams.

Carr will be traded after next season IMO and Gruden will draft his own QB.

I wouldn’t be surprised if this happened.

Chuckles and the Raiders did Mack a favor, if they realized it or not. I think they didn’t want to be strapped with that contract while in the transition of moving and rebuilding. I believe once they’re ready to move, they’re going to have a stockpile of picks that’ll be leveraged to draft a QB to sit behind Carr for a year or two before they cut him or trade him. Either way, dead man walking.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

So one season and tear it all down when that season had numerous injuries and a fired DC?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I wouldn’t be surprised if this happened.

Chuckles and the Raiders did Mack a favor, if they realized it or not. I think they didn’t want to be strapped with that contract while in the transition of moving and rebuilding. I believe once they’re ready to move, they’re going to have a stockpile of picks that’ll be leveraged to draft a QB to sit behind Carr for a year or two before they cut him or trade him. Either way, dead man walking.

I was actually impressed that after the yearly budgets were set and a week before the season the McCaskey's put 90 million into escrow at the drop of the hat.

That is the least mom and pop thing I can think of. I am sure the accounting department was in chaos for a day.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
So one season and tear it all down when that season had numerous injuries and a fired DC?

When you give a guy 10 years and make him GM/HC then yes he may tear it down. Again, did you honestly think they were a playoff contender with Mack?

They were bottom half of the league on O and D. Where did you see them bridging that gap? With the Bears I could actually see a light at the end of the tunnel as we had a top 10 D so really it was just one question that needed to be answered which was Trubs. So when Mack became available, I was banging the table for him because I saw the potential for him to catapult us into serious contention.

I see no such thing with the Raiders. That team is bad. There was no real ray of hope for the future IMO right now and obviously Gruden felt the same which is all that matters. Time will tell if he makes good on his gamble.

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If the Raiders are think they're in a rebuild, then they're going about it the wrong way. This team could easily be 3-1 instead of 1-3. I think Gruden thinks they can compete this year.

bertha

Liked Posts:
I love this thread, good info
o.png

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Ordinarily, I'm not of the opinion that stuff like this is funny, but after watching Mack for a full four games I think a good idea for @Rush is to set up a donation run and on behalf of ChiCitySports we send Jon one of those fruit baskets.

So we doing this, or not?

@Rush
@zack

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So we doing this, or not?

@Rush
@zack

Baskets are anywhere from $30 to a few hundred. I would gladly give $50 or more to such a great cause. Do you send one big one or bombard with 20 small gift baskets?

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Baskets are anywhere from $30 to a few hundred. I would gladly give $50 or more to such a great cause. Do you send one big one or bombard with 20 small gift baskets?

That's an even better idea. I think you donating $50 would be way too much. If @Rush or @zack can get the word out here to the masses, I think $2-5 would be a perfect amount.

I think it's also better to do this through them, because you have guys like dabears70 who stole money from here under the guise of a fantasy football league.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:

I can't believe you claim that I said that Trubisky would "look like shit against the Bucs", when I never said anything close to that.

Care to appologize?

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I can't believe you claim that I said that Trubisky would "look like shit against the Bucs", when I never said anything close to that.

Care to appologize?

I cant believe you said naggy has toned down the playbook twice when there is no record of him saying so

Care to apologize?