The Albert Pujols Watch Thread

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I never said he is worth what he is being paid, just to clarify. I agree, he is overpaid. However, he is still productive.

I agree, we should move him, but it makes absolutely ZERO sense to me to pay someone 10 MM to not play for us.

Fukudome is gone after this year, anyway.

So, you want to pay someone to take Soriano? You want to pay someone to create a hole in this team? That's ridiculous. Sure, BJax might be good, but he's no sure thing, the jury is still out on Colvin, and Byrd is getting old. While Soriano isn't worth the money, he is about the most reliable of our OFers going forward. We know what we will get with him.

DeWitt isn't really a problem, the problem was the way 2B was managed last year. If done properly, with a DeWitt/Baker platoon at 2B, 2B can at least be average and not hemorrhage this team.

That team would not be very good, IMO. That is a very unreliable OF, which was one of the few bright spots of last years team.

AL team.

Good. Makes this plan even easier.

I'm willing to take a chance on BJax and Colvin. It's not to say ya can't add a stopgap vet in the outfield at a conservative price if necessary.

You can add Soriano to that old list if you would like..

I'd take Byrd simply because of the lower salary number.

I'm less sold on Baker and DeWitt then I am personally on Colvin. They both just seem to be way below average on my list.

We know. We all know. :shifty:

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd pay someone not to play for us... that's what happens when he goes on the DL anyway.

Thanks for the reminder that Kosuke will be gone!

Soriano is getting old too, so I don't see how Byrd getting olds means anything here.

DeWitt is nothing special. Average at 2B isn't a common trait for competitors.

It may not be very good, but we aren't very good as it is.

You would use up 10 million dollars of the payroll for Soriano to provide value to another team? I'm fine with covering some of the contract, but when it gets to where we are paying him more to play somewhere else than they are, that's where I draw the line.

Soriano has been consistent for like 9 years, Byrd has been consistent for 4 and only 1 year in the NL. Plus, Soriano is a hands guy; he has amazing hands, therefore his swing will not break down as soon.

I don't care what our competitors are doing at 2B, I'd rather have DeWitt and Baker be average for like 2 million total than go out and over pay for someone who will provide a slight upgrade.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
You would use up 10 million dollars of the payroll for Soriano to provide value to another team? I'm fine with covering some of the contract, but when it gets to where we are paying him more to play somewhere else than they are, that's where I draw the line.

Soriano has been consistent for like 9 years, Byrd has been consistent for 4 and only 1 year in the NL. Plus, Soriano is a hands guy; he has amazing hands, therefore his swing will not break down as soon.

I don't care what our competitors are doing at 2B, I'd rather have DeWitt and Baker be average for like 2 million total than go out and over pay for someone who will provide a slight upgrade.

Has he been consistent for 9 years? I know he has gone from a 40-40 guy who's bat over .300 to a guy who only hits a little more than 20 homers (just 20 in '09), never steals, and bats under .260 (just .240 something in '09). Am I taking this the wrong way?

Doesn't have to be a slight upgrade at 2B either.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
AL team.

Good. Makes this plan even easier.

I'm willing to take a chance on BJax and Colvin. It's not to say ya can't add a stopgap vet in the outfield at a conservative price if necessary.

You can add Soriano to that old list if you would like..

I'd take Byrd simply because of the lower salary number.

I'm less sold on Baker and DeWitt then I am personally on Colvin. They both just seem to be way below average on my list.

We know. We all know. :shifty:

AL or NL, doesn't matter. We'd still be paying either a shitload or getting back a shitty contract in return.

That's fine, I'll take a chance on BJax and Colvin, too. But not after we acquire the best player in the game and are trying to win a championship. That's 2/8 spots that are chances.

I'd take Byrd too, but that's not the point. The point is, that it is going to be a complete waste of our resources to spend 10 million dollars a year and get absolutely nothing back in return.

Like I said, the problem with DeWitt and Baker are how they are managed. Baker should never hit against RHP and DeWitt should never hit vs. LHP. It's because they don't, that they come off as piles of suck.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
AL or NL, doesn't matter. We'd still be paying either a shitload or getting back a shitty contract in return.

That's fine, I'll take a chance on BJax and Colvin, too. But not after we acquire the best player in the game and are trying to win a championship. That's 2/8 spots that are chances.

I'd take Byrd too, but that's not the point. The point is, that it is going to be a complete waste of our resources to spend 10 million dollars a year and get absolutely nothing back in return.

Like I said, the problem with DeWitt and Baker are how they are managed. Baker should never hit against RHP and DeWitt should never hit vs. LHP. It's because they don't, that they come off as piles of suck.

Your response on Colvin shocks me. I thought you were going to mention ISO now.

I'll take my chances on TyColv and B-Jax all day, with the way our farm produced last year. Sure, I know we need a backup plan. But I'm sold on both.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Has he been consistent for 9 years? I know he has gone from a 40-40 guy who's bat over .300 to a guy who only hits a little more than 20 homers (just 20 in '09), never steals, and bats under .260 (just .240 something in '09). Am I taking this the wrong way?

Doesn't have to be a slight upgrade at 2B either.

He has been consistent for 9 years. He has had 1 year that he's had an OPS below .800, which was 2009. He was injured then. 40-40 guy? Great, too bad SB don't mean shit. He's never batted over .300 and anyway, AVG doesn't matter. At all. Homers don't mean a lot either. It's one component of the game.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Your response on Colvin shocks me. I thought you were going to mention ISO now.

I'll take my chances on TyColv and B-Jax all day, with the way our farm produced last year. Sure, I know we need a backup plan. But I'm sold on both.

You are sold on a player that he not even played an inning of AAA ball? You are so fucking ignorant :rolling:

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
You are sold on a player that he not even played an inning of AAA ball? You are so fucking ignorant :rolling:

I know, I am just convinced he'll be productive. I phrased it wrong, of course. I meant I'm sold on him as a spect. I'm pretty confident with his chances though.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats

Castro never played AAA either. I was sold on him last off-season the same way I am with B-Jax this off-season.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Right, because Castro is the rule, not the exception :rolleyes: :clap:

Hey, I'm convinced. All I'm saying. I see Jackson coming up soon just like Castro. Will he have a 6-RBI MLB debut? Probably not, but I see him being productive.

An exception to what? He's the only prospect (at the time) you can have a good feeling that he will be good?

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Cards offered a deal that was "slightly better" than Mark Teixeira's eight-year, $180MM contract, according to Yahoo's Tim Brown (on Twitter).
Jon Heyman of SI.com reported yesterday that the Cardinals offered Pujols a nine-year extension worth more than $200MM and Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reported Wednesday that they offered Pujols a deal worth roughly $19-21MM per season.
Pujols was interested in owning part of the Cardinals and the team expored the possibility, according to Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Players cannot "directly or indirectly, own stock or have any financial interest in the ownership or earnings of any Major League Club," unless the Commissioner approves the agreement, but Bud Selig could be open to allowing such an arrangement between Pujols and the Cardinals.

mlbtr